New Georgia Jeep Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > New Georgia Jeep Owner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
5speed300

New Georgia Jeep Owner

Hey all,

I've always been fond of Jeeps ever since I drove a friend's back in highschool (TJ). Flash forward to now and I have plans to make my other moneypit (1999 m3) a track-only car. As it is my currently daily, I need something to drive to work and that can tow the m3 occasionally. I looked around for a few months and finally found a WJ I thought was worthwhile.

It's a 2004 Freedom Edition with the high output motor, navigation, no sunroof (a must for me because of my height), and the cloth seats. The car was a 1 owner vehicle and has 142,900 miles. Right off the bat I am replacing absolutely every fluid so that I know the status of the car. The coolant is a nasty brown, and though the engine oil and tranny fluids look OK - I want to get the truck to a baseline. It does have a couple little issues that I've been researching on here, but if anyone has input I would love the help!

Also, any good independent mechanics with lots of WJ experience in the area? Would prefer and independent to the dealer and I'm sure there are plenty of Wrangler shops around, but if anyone knows a place with extensive Grand Cherokee experience feel free to point me in their direction.
  • Sloshing water sound in the dash: Could be air in the cooling system (hopefully the flush will take care of this). Also read that this could be heater core related, though my carpet is not wet but I'll have to keep an eye on that.
  • Bad smell after full throttle: Smells like burnt fuel after I floor the vehicle for a few seconds. Normally i can't smell anything, but under heavy load it's there. Anyone have insight on this?
  • Squeek coming from right front wheel: Happens with every wheel rotation and is a high pitched squeek, squeek, squeek. Any common culprits?

Otherwise the car is in remarkable shape for the mileage. Interior is excellent and has not a single rattle (shocker for a mopar product!)

Here are a few pics, look forward to becoming involved in the community. I've been wanting to get into some light wheeling for years, hopefully I can tag along for a trip in the near future (something that would be good for a beginner with a stock rig).

5speed300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
goldknight
2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome from Dawsonville. Nice looking WJ, looks really clean and one-owner is a definite bonus. From this point forward you should cease using the word car

Where exactly in ATL are you? There's JeepHut in Jasper and Dirty Dog Offroad in Cumming. They are both top notch and will treat you right.

Check out this one, pretty sure it was installed by DDO...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGrand View Post
Finished the lift install today. Tires and driveshaft should be here thursday. Gonna cut it close but it looks like I am going to make it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGrand View Post
. Today was a productive day. It started out by hunting stockers:

Then I became very very very sick. I got Paintitis. Symptoms include paint covered hands, and the constant need to paint something. I like black and silver, so I blacked everything out. There is not a single bit of chrome on my Jeep now. Started masking everything:

Painted:

Also did the turn signals in lens tint:

Also painted the area behind the bumper black so it blends in and the fender wells black:

And here is how it sat at the end of the day:

Last edited by goldknight; 10-01-2012 at 01:27 PM..
goldknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
5speed300

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out.

Update on the smell: its definitely a lot of unburnt fuel. My rear liftgate seal is missing at the bottom so I'll be ordering that tonight. Hopefully thats the solution, though the idea of the car running that rich seems odd to me.
5speed300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
dahlonegawj
2002 WJ 

Yea I'm friends with dr grand, and he's had 2 lifts done at dirty dog. How every, it's no longer dirty dog as the mechanic (Tim) has formed his own company. Seriously tho, check him out, me and my buddies all have out work done there. Also, join www.northgajeepers.com/index and look for 02grand (me) and dr. Grand. Ill ad some pics of work done that DDO has done. Happy trails!!!

image-3363509792.jpg
Brush guard cause I didn't know how to remove the bumper

image-1611770755.jpg
Dr grands 3in lift

And then above is dr grands new 6.5in lift and custom welded winch bumper.
image-87623985.jpg  
dahlonegawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Be sure to check out Allsouth Autosports they have some great service, and very competitive prices @ http://www.allsouthautosports.com/home.html

Also another GA offroad community @ http://www.gatrailriders.com
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.