Interesting Day in the Chattahoochee National Forest - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Interesting Day in the Chattahoochee National Forest

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
tr0mbley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting Day in the Chattahoochee National Forest

Decided to drive up to Fort Mountain State Park (Georgia) for the day with the boys and finally take them offroad in the new Jeep. My kids are only 5 and 2 years old, so I was really looking for a short forest service road to take them on and then head back to pavement. From Fort Mountain, I took 52 East and turned off shortly before the Cohutta scenic overlook area. Turned out to be quite an adventure because we spent the next 3 hours on some pretty hairy moutain switchbacks. On the map, the trail looked like it went directly to Tails Creek which would have been perfect on our way to Ellijay... but after a couple of closed roads, I ended up in the Rock Creek ORV park. I actually came out of the ATV Loop trail. I must have put about 20 or so miles on the Jeep. I was in the woods from about 3 to 6pm and would have been a little nervous but the boys laughed the whole time and we had plenty of snacks to keep them happy. It was actually a blast, but I guess I probably broke a few offroading rules... Anybody familiar with that area? Is the map that I have out of date?

jeep_1.jpg   jeep_2.jpg   jeep_3.jpg  
tr0mbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
gooseofdeuce
2004 TJ Wrangler 

how were the trails? i'm on the hunt for new places to ride. this would be a couple hours ride for me. Is this anywhere near Wolf Den Gap, Helen, etc? are the ATV trails supposed to be for 4wheelers only?
gooseofdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
tr0mbley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The trails were pretty cool. Without the kids I would have gone a little faster, though caution is probably the best choice on these due to the steep drop offs. There weren't any major obstacles, or giant changes in elevation. 4wd was necessary in some parts but mostly because the rain made things muddy and slick. There's plenty to do up in this area of Georgia. May even want to make the drive on this trail system and then head further north to hike and overnight camp. I really don't know a heck of a lot about OHV trail rules. I did not enter the trail with the knowledge that it was an ATV Loop. Two way traffic would have been all but impossible on 97% of this trail system. Had another 4x4 been heading toward me, one of us would have had to back up for a while. Maybe someone else can comment on Rock Creek that knows more than I do...
tr0mbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

so how do you get out? the atv or turn around? And where are these steep drop offs? I'm sure you had the guts to take pics with your boys in the back, lol. :wink:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.