Georgia JF Members! - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Georgia JF Members!

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #121
Mike4ya
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcochran View Post
Got ya on the sarcasm...I've been on plenty of forums! Thanks for the welcome. I hope to be able to "join the club" in the very near future. I really want to get in on a trail ride...
So what are your plans for a Jeep? TJ/LJ/XJ etc?

Mike4ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #122
bcochran

That's what I'm not sure on. I know I'm going to lift it, add 33's or 35's, and winch, bumpers and so on. It will see some trail duty, and would drive it to work on pretty days. I want to do all of my own work as possible. Any suggestions on a base for my garage project??
bcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #123
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy161 View Post
Jeep Beach 2010 is an event which starts Wednesday the 12th of May and ends Sunday the 16th of May. Saturday will be at the infield of the Daytona speedway where there will be a show and shine, obstacle courses for all manner of Jeeps and vendors. Sunday is a parade of Jeeps on the beach. Last year was 300 Jeeps, this year they are expecting over 600. Check out the website...

Jeep Beach 2010

Hope to see ya there!
Wow... that seems awesome. If me and my buddy (jimG16) can somehow swing the cash for that (gas/hotel) wel'll be all over that!
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #124
Mike4ya
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's what I'm not sure on. I know I'm going to lift it, add 33's or 35's, and winch, bumpers and so on. It will see some trail duty, and would drive it to work on pretty days. I want to do all of my own work as possible. Any suggestions on a base for my garage project??
The model Jeep you get all depends on your budget. Jeeps, in general, are fairly easy to work on, if you know the basics of mechanics. An XJ is going to be cheaper to purchase, but many people prefer the Wranglers TJ/LJ even though they tend to cost a lot more. Personally I like the short wheel base of the TJ, and the belly clearance of a stock TJ compared to a stock XJ, but other people may beg to differ; like i said, thats just me. With a TJ, any lift over 3.5" needs a CV drive shaft and a slip yoke eliminator. But an XJ can get up to 4.5" without those. (But please, don't rely completely on me about XJ info, I'm more for a TJ man. )

Now....
First. Get a 4.0.

Second. Get a 4.0.

Third. Don't get a 2.5.

Trust me, you will not regret the 4.0 in the long run. The 2.5s are ok, and many people love them; and don't get me wrong, they'll crawl anywhere. But if you see any highway use or prolonged travel, you'll want the 4.0. Not to mention its much nicer to have the 4.0 with 3.73s on 33s than it is with the 2.5 with 4.10s and 33s. (It will save you money because you wont need to regear unless you get 35s... well, unless you WANT to regear, that is)

Fourth. Don't get 3.07s! If you plan on lifting the jeep, the 3.07s will begin to get on your nerves with 33s, and 35s will just be devastating. I'm 90% positive that no TJ with the Dana44 came with 3.07s, pretty sure it was only the D35c, so look for a D44! (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please).

If you're planning on at least 33s or 35s then you definitely want to look for one with a Dana44 rear axle. The D35c's, like mine ( ) are notorious for breaking with anything bigger than 33s. Even some with 33s have been known to break if you wheel them hard enough, so i recommend looking for the D44. Also, if one day you wanna go BIG, then upgraded shafts in the 44 can handle 37s (Although you'll need to replace the front D30).

But mainly, be very careful around here with the prices of TJ's. There are WAY too many people and WAY too many dealers that are starting to jack the price of TJs, just because the demand is high. Do NOT go to the Preowned Store in Cartersville, and I don't recommend North Ga Truck and Trailer in Cartersville either. There's a new Jeep store of 41 in Cartersville called Elite--They're better than the others mentioned, but still not great. And most of them don't known jack about a Jeep, so do your research so you know when they're BS'ing... because it will happen.

If you can, buy privately, and don't settle on a Jeep. I was out for a D44, but when I came across the deal on mine, I just couldnt pass it up the condition and price, regardless of the D35c. Now, something I recommend, although is personal preference, try and find a Jeep thats not been offroaded. They tend to have less problems, especially with the older Jeeps. But at the same time, offroaded Jeeps can also sell for less. So it's just up to you and how confident you are in the Jeep you're looking at.

There's more I could put, but I already feel like I've said a little too much than necessary.

Unread 03-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #125
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone going to this event,we have a group in Augusta that might have some people going.looks like alot of fun.
http://www.jeepbeach.com/
787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #126
SYN ACK
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mike4ya gives some good advice on TJs. I have a 4.0L but with 3.07 Gears

I'd like to yank out some 4.10 axles and throw them in my Jeep. I'd also agree on buying privately if possible. I bought from a dealer but I loved the anniversary edition so I bought it even though it has D35 and 3.07s.
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #127
Mike4ya
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYN ACK View Post
I'd like to yank out some 4.10 axles and throw them in my Jeep. I'd also agree on buying privately if possible. I bought from a dealer but I loved the anniversary edition so I bought it even though it has D35 and 3.07s.
Ain't that the truth. I'm just waiting for the day I can find (and afford ) a rear axle out of a TJ Rubi

But then I'll also regear to 4.88s, upgrade the shafts in the D30, and throw some 35s underneath.

But as of right now, it's looking like I could afford to just buy a Rubi before I got into all that.
Unread 03-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #128
bcochran

Mike and SYN ACK, thanks for the advice. This is exactly the stuff I'm trying to dig up before I go and plop down money on something that I can CHOOSE my options for the most part. I have been to the Cartersville Jeep place..decent stuff, just HIGH miles on most of it. What other problems have people found there? Just curious as it is so close to the house?.... Also, would someone suggest finding a YJ or a TJ as a base for something with nothing bigger than 33" tires and a few other upgrades...oh, and I think I will get the 4.0
bcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #129
Flyboy161
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 787 View Post
Anyone going to this event,we have a group in Augusta that might have some people going.looks like alot of fun.
Jeep Beach 2010
My wife and I in Warner Robins are going to Jeep Beach
"It is in my opinion that owning a jeep must be like raising a rebellious teenager: the more you try and love it and nurture it and get nice things for it, the more it says "screw you!! I'm doing drugs and drinking because I hate you!!!" And your stuck taking it to the hospital :("

Labor of Love- my son's Jeep build
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/labor-love-1534044/[/url]

My build thread- Littlebee
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/littlebee-1568478/[/url]
Flyboy161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #130
tellicojeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

tn here, but im on the bottom, like to join some north ga rides. you guys are welcome to come on up here to aetna and windrock as well.
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #131
Mike4ya
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mike and SYN ACK, thanks for the advice. This is exactly the stuff I'm trying to dig up before I go and plop down money on something that I can CHOOSE my options for the most part. I have been to the Cartersville Jeep place..decent stuff, just HIGH miles on most of it. What other problems have people found there? Just curious as it is so close to the house?.... Also, would someone suggest finding a YJ or a TJ as a base for something with nothing bigger than 33" tires and a few other upgrades...oh, and I think I will get the 4.0
I would definitely recommend a YJ or TJ. Some people love the YJs for their leaf springs, others love the TJs for their coils. Personally I think the coil springs ride a lot better on the road than the leafs. Also, you have the think about the age of the vehicle; The older the vehicle, the more wear and tear you'll have to deal with.

If you plan on nothing bigger than 33s, then your options open a little, because you could get the D35c if you think your wheeling will never be too extreme. But if you DO get the D35c, you don't want the lock it. This can break the axle a lot quicker with anything bigger than stock sized tires. A D44 with 33s and a locker will hold up just fine.

But the reason I don't like the Cartersville Preowned store is because of the rediculous prices. Let me reference a few of their current Jeeps and prices....

(All are stock, some on stock tires, a couple on 31s. All have soft tops, no hard tops included.)

97 SE Half doors. $8450 (miles unlisted)

01 SE Half doors. $8995 (miles unlisted, but I got a feeling it's pretty high)

99 Sport Half doors. 3spd Auoto $8997 (miles unlisted)

Now, and early model TJ 4.0 with Full doors (Cheapest one on the list)

99 Sahara $10997. (KBB Suggested retail w/ 100k miles is $8400)

Ok, I understand dealerships have higher prices than private sellers, but nothing says they should be at least $2-3k over KBB Retail price. Retail price is the suggested point to begin the negotiation process.

I walked in a sometime last year and said I was looking for a 4.0 TJ for nothing more than $7000, and I'll be paying cash. The guy smirked and began the ramble on about how I won't be able to find that anywhere... What an idiot...

Well, I bought my 98 Sport in almost perfect condition with 146k. No rust, super clean inside and out, just has a slight dent/scratch on the front fender where the fender flare connects, and windshield had a crack in it. It had never been offroaded, and was a Florida jeep most of its life, but no where near the beach.... I was very confident in paying the $5k I did, and I still don't regret it.

Also, you need to watch the private sellers too. They'll see the price of their Jeep as it would sit stock (Say $6000), then they count all the add-ons (lift, tires, wheels, bumpers, winches, lights, etc) And the price of their 99 Sahara with 120K miles goes from $6k to $9-10k. Not to mention, its been offroaded.

So I just recommend finding a stock, never offroaded, privately sold Jeep, preferably from an older seller, and build it yourself.

This forum has an endless amount of Knowledge about Jeeps. So just search around, read older threads, and soak in everything you can. (Just don't resurrect old threads unless you want to get hassled )

Unread 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #132
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yeah that jeep store off of 20 sucks, and they discriminate against XJ lovers. there prices are high, they said it would take them ten hour to install a 2 inch BB . and their rate is 150 dollars an hour, i told them to kiss my ***. they have really nice jeeps, but once again way to high
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #133
Mike4ya
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmccall View Post
yeah that jeep store off of 20 sucks, and they discriminate against XJ lovers. there prices are high, they said it would take them ten hour to install a 2 inch BB . and their rate is 150 dollars an hour, i told them to kiss my ***. they have really nice jeeps, but once again way to high

10 char
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #134
taythegibs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

im on the edge of Chickamauga GA by Chattanooga valley, about 15 minutes out of Chattanooga, i can get to aetna in 25-40 minutes depending on what im driving.
taythegibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #135
tellicojeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taythegibs View Post
im on the edge of Chickamauga GA by Chattanooga valley, about 15 minutes out of Chattanooga, i can get to aetna in 25-40 minutes depending on what im driving.

might be going this weekend. trying to convince bddisi to test his 40s out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.