GA. Gang.. - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > GA. Gang..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #91
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am in there like swimwear. IF we do not get pelted with rain on Friday, I will be there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJ-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #92
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ-Jer View Post
I am in there like swimwear. IF we do not get pelted with rain on Friday, I will be there...
Count me in as tentative as long as Jerry promises not to show up in swimwear.

What are the details on:
- time
- place
- gear (CB, etc)
Unread 06-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #93
driftwood98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I will be there with my nine year old son and golden retard (retriever).
What time are we meeting and where? ZThis is my forst trip to Beasley.
Driwtwood a.k.a Ted.
Dark Amethyst "blurple" TJ with Spice interior, hopefully no top. 33 MTZ open diffs, heavy foot.
See you there.
CB channel?
driftwood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #94
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK here's what I've got so far:

I'm thinking we'll meet at 10am if that's OK. I'll be riding from Athens or Buford, either one will take me around 2 hours, so I'll leave at 8am. Should give me time to double check stuff and maybe even have some coffee. It's gets dark around 9pm so it we'll have plenty of daylight (unless something happens and I always expect it to). We can either meet in the parking lots going into the entrance or at the Waffle House on 515 whichever y'all decide. We'll most likely start on the easier trails and then try something a little more challenging depending on what happens.

What I recommend everyone has:

Tow strap
Fire extinguisher
Tow points front and rear
Jack to get your wheels off the ground
Tools (Hammer, wrenches, pry bar are the ones that come in handy for me)
Water
Gloves
Spare parts or extra fluid if possible

I'm sure I'm missing something but that's off the top of my head. We'll stick with channel 4 for those with CB's.

Other tid bit of information: It's $5 to ride for the day at the entrance and please don't bring alcohol on the trails (not that anyone of you would but I've seen it a lot, no need for more dehydration).

Directions to both entrances (I wanted to use the first one):

There are two parking areas from which to enter the OHV trail system. Beginning on US 76/Highway 515 in front of the Blairsville Post Office, go east for 0.7 mile. Turn right onto Windy Hill Road, a paved road. At 0.7 mile when Windy Hill curves sharply to the left, go straight onto a gravel road. After 0.1 mile, turn left onto a narrow gravel road, Forest Service Road #851. Continue 0.8 mile to the OHV trail system parking lot.

Beginning on US 76/Highway 515 in front of the Blairsville Post Office, go east for 3.4 miles. Turn right just before two large propane tanks onto Rosemary Lane, which is also Forest Service Road #93. At the first fork, go left. At the second fork go right. Follow the road to the parking lot at the end, a total of 1.6 miles.

Who I have so far:
Louie4 (Lou)
YJ-Jer
RubiOR
driftwood98 + son + dog

I'll try to post trail maps later.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #95
Mike4ya
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
What I recommend everyone has:

Tow strap
Fire extinguisher
Tow points front and rear
Jack to get your wheels off the ground
Tools (Hammer, wrenches, pry bar are the ones that come in handy for me)
Water
Gloves
Spare parts or extra fluid if possible

I'm sure I'm missing something but that's off the top of my head. We'll stick with channel 4 for those with CB's.
First, I'd like to say that I would definitely be there this weekend if I weren't moving. Next time, if I know in advance I'd love to go. But I just have a general question, rather than about the trip...

-I'm looking for tow hooks for my rear bumper. I have a stock TJ bumper & no hitch. Any options?

-I'm looking for the cheapest but best-quality (I guess the "best bang for your buck") CB radio, any recommendations?

-And lastly, If I were to come on a trip and don't have a few things (hi-lift, tools, spare parts (I'll have spare 35 shafts ), would that be a bad thing? Just with buying my lift, tires, wheels, etc., right now, I don't exactly have the extra cash to buy other things, at the moment.

I'm tryin' I swear! ...It's just going to take some time!

What do yall say?

-Mike
Mike4ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #96
driftwood98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mike I would say you are fine to ride the way you are. I am working on some parts and tools myself. I have been to Telico with a Jeep and spooter a dozen times. Don't break anything and you don't need parts ( damn I bet I am jinzing myself). Seriously know your rig and it's limits.
Cobra 19. I bought mine on line from a supplier in Flordia about 120 for the set up with fire stick.
Class 3 hitch for rear.
I want rear lock rite and front warn 9000.
See you guys on Sat.
driftwood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #97
StacyG
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Someone bring a camera and post a few pic's afterwards. Just no pics of swimwear! I will be in the Ocala National Forest this weekend with the Orlando Jeep Club. We are camping over the weekend and several planned trail rides. I'm sure it will not compare to Beasley's Knob. I would rather climb over something than drive through sugar sand, mud and water.

Ted, You should check out Spartan Lockers. They are much quiter than Loc-Rights, stronger and a little cheaper. I am running them in my front and back and work great. Installing a 2wd Low option is a good upgrade. Makes turning real easy. Just bump the shift lever from 4wd Low to 2wd Low and back while rolling. No need to go back to neutral once in low gear. I can make a tighter turn radius in my LJ in 2wd low than most TJ's in 4wd low or high.
StacyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #98
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyG View Post
Installing a 2wd Low option is a good upgrade.
Tell me more...
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #99
StacyG
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
Tell me more...
I installed a Tera Flex 2wd Low kit. Cost was about $230.00. Currie also makes one. You replace a shift fork and a sector in the transfer case.

http://http://www.teraflex.biz/produ...range-kit.html

"The 2Low kit provides the benefit of true low range gearing, while allowing the front to freely turn. It lets you choose 2 Low in addition to the other standard options. The 2 Low kit will eliminate drive train bind and most of your three-point turns. This kit is completely internal and does not require any external modifications."

I do not have selectable lockers... On my recent trip to River Rock ORV, I found my self driving in 2wd Low very often. This allowed my front locker to not engage and to make very easy turns. Still had the power of low gear. Most of my buddies stayed in 4wd low (and they have selectable lockers) and I made turns much easier than they did. Best thing I ever installed in my Jeep. I completed the install at the same time I removed the slip yoke and replaced it with an Advanced Adapters Fixed yoke and Tom Woods drive shaft. The NP231 transfer case is a relatively simple to teardown and rebuild. I am like most folks... just basic mechanical skills. I had the help of two friends during the rebuild. One had installed the AA kit already on his Jeep and the other helped wrench with me. This is a great option for an LJ with a np231 t-case.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #100
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyG View Post
I installed a Tera Flex 2wd Low kit. Cost was about $230.00. Currie also makes one. You replace a shift fork and a sector in the transfer case.
For the 231. Won't fit my 241 :-(
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #101
StacyG
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
For the 231. Won't fit my 241 :-(
I have not done much research on the 241. There are few kits out there... not sure if they are for JK's only. Check out the Tera Flex site and Currie.

Stacy
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #102
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey MrPizzaMan! Good to see you on here and look forward to wheeling with you. you should be fine in your semi-stock heep. It is much more about the interface between the seat and the steering wheel on most of the trails anyway. I think the great theologian, Dirty Harry, said it best... "A man's got to know his limitations". That holds true for his jeeps limitations as well.

If someone wants a CB, I have a near new Midland compact cb That i replaced with the same model thinking it was defective only to find out it was my blower motor causing interference. It's anyone's for the taking for 15 bucks. just bring an antenna and some wire and we can have you up and CBing in about 10 minutes.FRYS.com*|*CB Radios

I like the idea of meeting at the entrance off windy hill. That is NOT the one with the big propane tanks next to the road, right? I have been through both entrances but figured I'd double check....

See you all there at 10am... If Beasley is closed, we can meet at the awfulhouse down the road at 10 and caravan over to Charlie Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJ-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #103
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4ya View Post
First, I'd like to say that I would definitely be there this weekend if I weren't moving. Next time, if I know in advance I'd love to go. But I just have a general question, rather than about the trip...

-I'm looking for tow hooks for my rear bumper. I have a stock TJ bumper & no hitch. Any options?

-I'm looking for the cheapest but best-quality (I guess the "best bang for your buck") CB radio, any recommendations?

-And lastly, If I were to come on a trip and don't have a few things (hi-lift, tools, spare parts (I'll have spare 35 shafts ), would that be a bad thing? Just with buying my lift, tires, wheels, etc., right now, I don't exactly have the extra cash to buy other things, at the moment.

I'm tryin' I swear! ...It's just going to take some time!

What do yall say?

-Mike
Mike,

I have no real rear bumper only the cruddy cross member. I bought 2 tow hooks from Northern Tool and bolted them to the end of my frame in the wheel well with Grade 8 bolts on either side.

The CB radio I use is the Uniden PRO520XL. It's cheap and does what I want it to do. I actually just mounted it where my ashtray was. It fit nicely I just had to figure out how to keep it in there. I picked up an antenna from a truck stop off the interstate for around $26 with a mount. I also bought a medium duty spring for it to bolt to.

Finally all that stuff I mentioned is what I plan on bringing and I would let anyone borrow that stuff if they needed it. I use to only bring a set of sockets and wrench's when wheeling but as time went on and with more modifications I started accumulating more stuff so I can be as self sufficient as possible. I still lack a winch but it's coming.

I say give it time and don't rush with everything or you might get a little burned out. If you know other folks will have proper recovery equipment then you'll be fine.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #104
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Should be a good time.

Quote:

If someone wants a CB, I have a near new Midland compact cb That i replaced with the same model thinking it was defective only to find out it was my blower motor causing interference. It's anyone's for the taking for 15 bucks. just bring an antenna and some wire and we can have you up and CBing in about 10 minutes.FRYS.com*|*CB Radios

I have an extra 9' long coax cable if anyone wants it.

I like the idea of meeting at the entrance off windy hill. That is NOT the one with the big propane tanks next to the road, right? I have been through both entrances but figured I'd double check....

Correct. It's the first entrance.

See you all there at 10am... If Beasley is closed, we can meet at the awfulhouse down the road at 10 and caravan over to Charlie Creek.

Sounds like a good plan.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #105
flyingbrian
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey MrPizzaMan! Good to see you on here and look forward to wheeling with you. you should be fine in your semi-stock heep. It is much more about the interface between the seat and the steering wheel on most of the trails anyway. I think the great theologian, Dirty Harry, said it best... "A man's got to know his limitations". That holds true for his jeeps limitations as well.

glad th CB is fixed now I can hear ya!! ha ha
flyingbrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.