Does Georgia law enforcement care? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Does Georgia law enforcement care?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 11-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does Georgia law enforcement care?

Im speaking lift laws here,

I've read that Georgia doesnt allow a suspension lift higher than 2 inches.

Id like to eventually put a 4 inch suspension lift on my rig. does anyone know if Georgia law enforcement is strict about these laws?? do they care enough to enforce them?

(I guess it comes down to who is doing the traffic stop. to each his own, but if you have any experience or thoughts id like to hear it.)

thanks!

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have only seen them enforce these laws years ago and mainly in Cobb County. They used to like to ticket low riders alot. I havent heard of anyone getting any tickets for lifted or lowered vehicles in a long time though.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
armyjeep85
1985 CJ7 

Cj

i haven't heard of or experienced anything like that.. i have a 4 1/2in suspension lift on my jeep, and never have issues. i live in gwinnet, but drive all over atlanta. my brother has same size suspension plus a body lift on his cj and has never in 15+ years had an issue with it. he lives in chamblee.
the lift kit will come with a "warning" type sticker, just stick it on the fram inside the rear passenger side fender well. that's where they will look for it if you ever were to get pulled over.
armyjeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.liftlaws.com/georgia_lift_laws.htm
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Auburnfan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
I have only seen them enforce these laws years ago and mainly in Cobb County. They used to like to ticket low riders alot. I havent heard of anyone getting any tickets for lifted or lowered vehicles in a long time though.
I have to agree, I grew up in Douglas County and live in Paulding County, I have never had issues except with Cobb County.
Several Douglas and Paulding County deputies I know have lifted trucks and Jeeps.
Cobb County actually pulled me over one night for a tint check on my YJ soft top!!
[B][I][COLOR="Navy"]A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."[/COLOR][/I][/B]

[B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]In the 80's we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope , and Johnny Cash.
Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
Auburnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjeep85 View Post
the lift kit will come with a "warning" type sticker, just stick it on the fram inside the rear passenger side fender well. that's where they will look for it if you ever were to get pulled over.
THey wont be looking for or care about a sticker.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
stretchj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It all depends on the officer. Will you get pulled over just because of bumper height? Probably not. Are they going to write you a ticket for it if you are already pulled over for something else? Maybe, if they decide to throw the books at you.

I wouldn't be afraid to put a 4 inch lift on your Jeep.
1997 TJ 4.0L AX15 231 HP30 F8.8 - NEW PROJECT
stretchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've never had a problem and I've driven my jeep all over North Georgia and Atlanta. North Georgia mostly though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
zombiesmasher13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think I would let it stop me, just build it the way you want to. I personally don't know of anyone that has ever been ticketed for the lift on their vehicle.
[SIZE="5"]P[/SIZE]ocket
zombiesmasher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a z71 on 38's with about 7 inches of lift, XJ with 6.5 inches of lift and 36 inch iroks and now a TJ with 33's and 4.5 inches of lift and have never gotten a ticket driving across Atlanta to school or around town... never even a mud flap, window tint, flares or exhaust ticket... I drive safe and have gotten over all my years of "show boating" ... build away and drive conservative.
aparke4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Lived in GA for a while now, been all over, lived in ATL and now go to school wayyyy down south. I've literally seen hundreds of thousands of lifted jeeps/trucks all over, no one cares about the law.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
ScarbWM
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The law has to do with how high your bumpers and headlights are off the ground, my brother recently got pulled over in columbus and the cop wrote him a ticket. He has a 6 in lift and 35's on a F-250 so he asked the cop to get out and measure the height, turned out to be well under the legal limit (i think the legal limit is like 62in. to center of the head light). Copped ripped up the ticket then stormed off
ScarbWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
These are accurate. The only ones i know might be enforced if you run into the right guy is the frame height from the ground and the headlight height. It would be difficult to know if you had more than 2 inches of lift because they don't have the factory specs to compare to and I have never seen anyone do this. My guess is most of the time if you don't drive like a jacka**, and your headlights don't blind people, then most cops don't care.
Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburnfan View Post
I have to agree, I grew up in Douglas County and live in Paulding County, I have never had issues except with Cobb County.
Several Douglas and Paulding County deputies I know have lifted trucks and Jeeps.
Cobb County actually pulled me over one night for a tint check on my YJ soft top!!
its not illegal to have the tint on the back windows. just like an SUV. Only the drivers windows matter and thats because you can't see out at night and it's a safety problem.
Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
SOUTHGACJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I realize this is an older thread but, as a cop myself I can tell you that in the 13 years I have been a cop I have never heard of a vehicle being stopped or getting any kind of ticket associated with a lifted vehicle. Has it happened? Probably, but if so most likely by some hard core a*****e cop. BUT, I would say that 99.9% of cops aren't gonna waste their time messing with any reasonably lifted vehicle. We drive lifted vehicles ourselves. Now, if you were to come down the road with 12 inches of lift sporting 44" tires that might just get you some attention. Especially from the state boys. Even then you'd be likely to only get a warning and be told not to put it back on the road. At least from the cops and troopers that I know. I would go so far as to say most any lift 6" or so running tires even up to say 37"-38" won't be a problem at all and probably won't get a second look much less pulled over and measured. At least around here it won't. We see full size trucks around here like that a lot actually. It's nothing to see one sporting 6" and 36 inch rubber. Just make sure that if you're gonna run it at night you have properly aimed headlights because I can assure you that's the part that will get our attention. Happy jeeping.

As for tint, any tint that is factory applied such as SUV's or factory tinted soft top windows are exempt from being ticketed. Owner applied aftermarket widow tint is not. You may have tint all the way around the vehicle but if it is aftermarket owner applied tint it may not be less than 32% (unless you have a special permit). No tint is allowed on the front windshield except the uppermost 6". Law Enforcement vehicles are exempt entirely.
SOUTHGACJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.