Augusta, Georgia mechanic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Augusta, Georgia mechanic?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 07-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Augusta, Georgia mechanic?

Hi, does anyone know of any reasonable mechanics in the Augusta ga area that I can take my Laredo to for a p0710 code? Thanks

Lpjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Hey there,

I'm not really familiar with that code, but doesn't it have something to do with the Transmission Shift Control Module? What year/model/engine do you have?

I do most of my maintenance and repairs myself, but I've taken my ZJ to a shop for a few things. I live out in Evans; and there's a shop out here called Mike Gavalas Tire and Auto. The guy has been around a long time and he always does excellent work. Also, if you know what part you need; you can bring it to him and he'll only charge you for the labor.

If you have any other questions or issues with your Jeep, feel free to PM me. It's nice to see some Augusta area Jeepers on the forums!

-Steve
RedHotZeeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Hi, the code is for a transmission fluid temperature sensor malfunction. I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee Laredo and it also has the code p430 but I'm more concerned about the transmission sensor right now. And I live in the evans area as well and trying to avoid the dealership, I can't afford their fees. I read that sometimes it could just be a loose wire on the harness and not the sensor. Thanks again
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotZeeJay
Hey there,

I'm not really familiar with that code, but doesn't it have something to do with the Transmission Shift Control Module? What year/model/engine do you have?

I do most of my maintenance and repairs myself, but I've taken my ZJ to a shop for a few things. I live out in Evans; and there's a shop out here called Mike Gavalas Tire and Auto. The guy has been around a long time and he always does excellent work. Also, if you know what part you need; you can bring it to him and he'll only charge you for the labor.

If you have any other questions or issues with your Jeep, feel free to PM me. It's nice to see some Augusta area Jeepers on the forums!

-Steve
It's good to see someone from my area as well. I am a single woman and know absolutely nothing about engines and I know most shops will take advantage of a woman and will tell them it needs this and that when it really doesn't because we don't know any better thanks again for your help.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Hey there Lpjackson,

Aside from having the code and the check engine light being on, does your Jeep drive differently than it usually would? If I were in your situation, I would take it to the shop and tell them whats going on and then ask them to check out the harness. I don't know about some other mechanics, but the guy I mentioned a little while ago is very honest. If its just a wire in the harness and not the actual sensor, he won't charge you for a new sensor. Since you say you aren't very mechanically inclined; I'd definitely recommend getting it checked out by a professional or a good friend that knows what they're doing! I'd stay away from the dealer though; they tend to be very overpriced.

Good luck with your Jeep! You're definitely on the right track
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

It has just started shuttering and jerking a little bit when the p0710 code came up so I'm hoping its just the sensor or wire. I tried calling the guy you mentioned a few times this morning but he hasn't answered yet. I will keep trying. Thanks again for your help
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Morning, Lpjackson!;

He will be open on Monday, so definitely give him a call then! In my experience; when those type of sensors go, they go completely. If you're having these problems off and on, I'd bet its just the wiring.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help!

-Steve
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Thank you so much Steve, I will call first thing in the morning.
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Ok, I went to 3 different auto parts stores to do the scanner for codes and to reset them and all 3 said they can't reset it but they did the scanner and all three just showed the p430 code, the p0710 code isn't showing anymore but I'm still having the slight shudder and jerking when I accelerate but not always, could the p430 code be causing this or is it more than likely something in the transmission even though there is no code showing up. Also, I have had a few people tell me that at 150,000 miles I should not get transmission fluid changed that it would only cause problems. I bought it used and I don't know if they ever had it done but I have never had any problems up until this point. I really need advice as what I should do? Thanks
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Hey there Lpjackson,

What is the p430 code for? As far as transmission fluid goes; There is a difference between having it changed and having it FLUSHED. If the fluid and filter have never been changed to your knowledge, I think it would be a good idea to get those changed. If you take it to a shop, just tell them that you want the fluid and filter changed and not flushed. Also, while you're at it, you may want to go ahead and tell them to go ahead and change all of your fluids since its already in the shop. That should cover coolant, oil/filter, trans fluid/filter, wiper fluid, etc. Also, you may want to see how much they'll charge to replace your fuel filter as well.

I'm not very familiar with the fuel pump setup on your GC, but I know for a fact that on my ZJ, a clogged fuel filter can definitely cause some intermittent jerking/sputtering issues; especially when accelerating. I replaced my fuel pump and filter a week ago today, and the filter was absolutely disgusting. Believe it or not, my Jeep doesn't have very many more miles on it than yours.

I was actually having very similar issues with my '98 Grand Cherokee this past week. Not only was I having some sputtering and jerking, but sometimes my Jeep would actually stall at idle and even while driving at 50~ mph. I ended up replacing my Throttle Position Sensor, Ignition Coil (My ignition system is very different from yours.), and the Fuel Pump/filter. I think my main issue was the Throttle Position Sensor, but all of the other parts needed to be replaced anyways.

If you can tell me what exactly the p430 code relates to, I can probably help you pinpoint whats causing your driveablility issues. If not, I can at least help you narrow it down.

I can imagine all of this is probably overwhelming, but don't be discouraged. Jeeps will last you a long time as long as they're properly maintained. At 150,000 miles, a little extra maintenance is to be expected. But don't worry, we'll figure this out and hopefully you'll be getting at least another 150,000 more.

Good luck!
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hey there Lpjackson,

What is the p430 code for? As far as transmission fluid goes; There is a difference between having it changed and having it FLUSHED. If the fluid and filter have never been changed to your knowledge, I think it would be a good idea to get those changed. If you take it to a shop, just tell them that you want the fluid and filter changed and not flushed. Also, while you're at it, you may want to go ahead and tell them to go ahead and change all of your fluids since its already in the shop. That should cover coolant, oil/filter, trans fluid/filter, wiper fluid, etc. Also, you may want to see how much they'll charge to replace your fuel filter as well.

I'm not very familiar with the fuel pump setup on your GC, but I know for a fact that on my ZJ, a clogged fuel filter can definitely cause some intermittent jerking/sputtering issues; especially when accelerating. I replaced my fuel pump and filter a week ago today, and the filter was absolutely disgusting. Believe it or not, my Jeep doesn't have very many more miles on it than yours.

I was actually having very similar issues with my '98 Grand Cherokee this past week. Not only was I having some sputtering and jerking, but sometimes my Jeep would actually stall at idle and even while driving at 50~ mph. I ended up replacing my Throttle Position Sensor, Ignition Coil (My ignition system is very different from yours.), and the Fuel Pump/filter. I think my main issue was the Throttle Position Sensor, but all of the other parts needed to be replaced anyways.

If you can tell me what exactly the p430 code relates to, I can probably help you pinpoint whats causing your driveablility issues. If not, I can at least help you narrow it down.

I can imagine all of this is probably overwhelming, but don't be discouraged. Jeeps will last you a long time as long as they're properly maintained. At 150,000 miles, a little extra maintenance is to be expected. But don't worry, we'll figure this out and hopefully you'll be getting at least another 150,000 more.

Good luck!
Thank you so much, the p430 code is emissions bank 2, auto parts place said catalytic converter. I had the fuel pump and all new hoses changed out last year at the dealership and was 950.00 so it shouldn't have anything to do with the fuel pump I wouldn't think. The emissions code has been on for a few months and I haven't done anything about it because they said it was no rush for that. But the gas mileage now is horrible and I don't have near the power I used to especially going up a hill and sometimes I smell a burning smell when going up steep hills so it probably is time for that but it worries me the most the shuttering and jerking sometimes now. And as I said before I am a single woman with no mechanical knowledge and am very over whelmed right now with all of this, I certainly can't afford anything major or a new transmission. Thank you so much again for your help.
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Lpjackson,

Do you hear any rattling noises at all; especially when you turn the engine off? The catalytic converter is very suspect when the Jeep starts throwing emissions codes and having power issues. With a clogged cat, you'd most likely experience power loss when you really step on it since the cat would be restricting your exhaust flow from the engine.

I could be wrong, but I think the upstream Oxygen (O2) Sensor(s) is causing your problem! Basically, the upstream O2 sensor plays a part in the amount of air and fuel that that the engine receives in an attempt to regulate emissions. A bad O2 sensor can cause the PCM to make the fuel injectors dump too much/ not enough fuel into engine; which can cause a rough idle, sputtering and jerking, and in the case of too much fuel; a nasty smell because of partially burned gasoline. Also, and engine that's running too rich can foul up spark plugs in a heartbeat; as well as potentially damage the Catalytic Converter.

The good news is that O2 sensors aren't very expensive, and labor won't be very much as they're pretty easy to replace. If that's the case, you may want to get the shop to go ahead and replace the spark plugs incase they are fouled. They're very cheap as well!

I hope that helps!

Edit: I forgot to mention that if an O2 sensor is causing the PCM to dump too much fuel into the engine, that would also explain why your gas mileage has dropped so much!
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Lpjackson,

Do you hear any rattling noises at all; especially when you turn the engine off? The catalytic converter is very suspect when the Jeep starts throwing emissions codes and having power issues. With a clogged cat, you'd most likely experience power loss when you really step on it since the cat would be restricting your exhaust flow from the engine.

I could be wrong, but I think the upstream Oxygen (O2) Sensor(s) is causing your problem! Basically, the upstream O2 sensor plays a part in the amount of air and fuel that that the engine receives in an attempt to regulate emissions. A bad O2 sensor can cause the PCM to make the fuel injectors dump too much/ not enough fuel into engine; which can cause a rough idle, sputtering and jerking, and in the case of too much fuel; a nasty smell because of partially burned gasoline. Also, and engine that's running too rich can foul up spark plugs in a heartbeat; as well as potentially damage the Catalytic Converter.

The good news is that O2 sensors aren't very expensive, and labor won't be very much as they're pretty easy to replace. If that's the case, you may want to get the shop to go ahead and replace the spark plugs incase they are fouled. They're very cheap as well!

I hope that helps!

Edit: I forgot to mention that if an O2 sensor is causing the PCM to dump too much fuel into the engine, that would also explain why your gas mileage has dropped so much!
You are amazing, you just made my day! Who is the best to check something like that for me other than the dealer that won't charge a fortune or tell me it needs something that it doesn't. Thank you again RedHotJeeJay!!!
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Lpjackson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpjackson

You are amazing, you just made my day! Who is the best to check something like that for me other than the dealer that won't charge a fortune or tell me it needs something that it doesn't. Thank you again RedHotJeeJay!!!
Also, I don't hear any rattling or any noises, should I still take it to the man in evans you told me about to check the sensor and to do transmission fluid change? THANK YOU!!!
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Hey Lpjackson,

I'm glad I was able to help you out, and I hope that a new O2 sensor will fix your sputtering/jerking issue!

If I were you, I'd call the shop I told you about tomorrow morning and tell him you think you need a new oxygen sensor. Tell him the code you're getting, the symptoms you're having, and if you feel like you need to; you can print out this thread if you need help explaining the issue. He'll probably want to take a look at it just in case to be sure it's the O2 sensor; and then go from there. He'll be honest with you and won't try and charge you for things you don't need.

Let me know if I can do anything else, and good luck!

-Steve

Edit: just saw your last post! I don't think it's the Catalytic converter, especially if it isn't rattling any! It also wouldn't hurt to have him change the transmission fluid and filter if needed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.