Anyone recognize this YJ? (Atlanta, GA area) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Anyone recognize this YJ? (Atlanta, GA area)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
rezinflux
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuznick242 View Post
Now wait. Your from detroit and your trying to return a car to its original owner? Haha. Car theft capital of the world and your th eone who wants to return it...

But measure from the ground to a specific point on the body, usually the front fender but yours are pretty beat up so measure to the tub and then compare your measurement to the standard measurements of a stock yj, remember to account for tire size as well.
@Spuznick242: No, I'm not trying to return it, I just bought it. I'm trying to reach the previous owner so I can ask him/her some questions about upgrades they have done; or any recent maintenance/repair so I don't waste money on something that was just recently replaced. I've tried measuring, I have 25 inches, to the bottom of the body (area right under the door), compared to the 18 inches stock. Seems like a total lift of 7 inches. And it's sitting on 33 x 12.5 tires. I've read in the stock section of the FAQ that they come with ~27.1-27.7 inch tires, so I figured the tires raise it 3 inches of that 7 inch total. I guess it's got a 4 inch lift from just the springs; I have yet to measure the shackles. There's no identifying marks on the springs (PO painted everything black) so I don't know what brand they are. I need to replace one of them on the front drivers side, and I want to replace it with another of the same brand and size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
is it just me or is the frame in the front bent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre40 View Post
wow that must have been some hit.. looks like the front bumper is wasted and fender. whats that sticking out of the side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
It does from the photo look like the frame is bent, if you stare at the shackles. He's right.
@grandboost98 & @hotelconucc93: The frame is not bent, at least I cant see any creases. The impact was severe, but it missed the frame. It struck with the bumper end, bending it around the frame a bit, then it pushed forward into the front fender, then into the drivers side tie rod end. The adjusting sleeve on the tie rod end was ripped in half leaving half of it on the tie rod end and the other half on the tie rod itself. Also attached to the tie rod end I found a good chuck of the spindle. The axle tube then slammed into the shock putting a dent in it, also bent the spring. Front drive shaft was sent a little too far into the transfer case which destroyed the TC. I can't think of anything else right now, but needless to say I spent more than I should have for this one.
@Dre40: The piece sticking out of the side is the fender flare, just wrapped up in a funny shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
It looks like any one of a gazillion green YJ`s with a spice top.

Why can`t you run the VIN and get a history ? It`s not hard to do.

I`d be more worried about the wasted frame then the amount of lift.

If you want to sell it then PM me. I am just up 94 a bit.
@jsawduste: I appreciate the offer, but I paid $3500 for it including shipping, and just invested $400 more to fix it up; I don't think you'd be interested in giving me that much for it. I didn't know CarFax or whatever gives you the names of the previous owner, but if it does, I may just give that a shot.
I posted the pic in hopes that it stood out from the "gazillion green YJ`s with a spice top" due to the accident damage. I figured the previous owner would recognize it; I realize the chances of them stumbling on my post would be slim, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks everyone for looking and for your opinions; I forgot to mention, it's got Skyjacker 8000 Nitro shocks so that's the first place I looked to see what their 4" springs look like but they don't look anything like the ones on this jeep. The clamps on the ends of the leafs are wrapped around on this one, and from the pics of the skyjacker springs, they have a bolt through them.

P.S. the pics on the CarDomain link up top show alot more angles, and reveal the damage from the accident a little better. I'll try and get more pics later.

Last edited by rezinflux; 11-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
rezinflux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
rezinflux
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
The spring looks bent, not the frame (not saying there is no frame damage). Looks like the hit was just at the side of the frame and the fender and tire (and in turn the axle and spring) took the hit. Looks like a typical 4" lift. I'd guess Ruff Country or another cheap brand since the springs don't look long enough (bad shackle angle on the springs that don't look bent).

As was stated above, the t-case probably took a shot if the driveshaft didn't buckle.
@bgredjeep: You hit the nail on the head, it's exactly what happened, plus the broken spindle/knuckle. You mentioned the shackle that was not affected by the accident sits at a bad angle and therefore the springs are too short? I assume by bad angle you mean front to back not side to side. Should they not sit vertically? Is the bottom bolt of the front shackle supposed to be further front or further back then the top bolt when the springs are the proper size/fit?
Also being that I have a bent spring on one side and a working spring on the passenger side, would you recommend I replace them both or you think I'd be ok just replacing the bent one? Also forgot to mention, the distance from front to back wheel centers on the passenger side is 94" and on the driver's side it's 91.5". I assume that can be fixed with a new spring and re-centering the axle to 93.4" or whatever it's supposed to be at. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

If you own a spare transfer case that you can swap in, then the total cost of repair if you do all the work is about $1000.00.

Ask me how I know...since my 18 year old just did the exact same thing. Fender, bumper, spring, tie rod, xfer case exploded, and warped drive shaft.

My Build Thread --->>> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ilding-869713/

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like they were military. You could always call USAA and see if they will tell you who totalled it out.

Same damage...mine was a total...but I am almost done fixing it.

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought two new springs from ebay, Rough Country 4" yj. Ebay seller is TOPGUNCUSTOMZ

A pair with shipping is about $250

Unread 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #21
rezinflux
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
I just bought two new springs from ebay, Rough Country 4" yj. Ebay seller is TOPGUNCUSTOMZ

A pair with shipping is about $250
You think it's worth paying an extra $60 for the Skyjacker 3.5"-4" leafs?
Quadratec has them for $309 shipped:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16003_110.htm
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #22
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

No. Unless you plan to do the rear springs, shackles and bushings...all around...why spend the extra to put it on. Lipstick on a pig.

Unread 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Man that thing has a total loss tag from USAA hanging in the window which means it has a salvage tittle. Judging by the hit the frame has what we in the body shop biz call a diamond in it by looking at the pics. Thats a hefty price you paid if it has a salvage tittle. It will need to be reinspected by the state befor it can be tagged again.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #24
rezinflux
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
Man that thing has a total loss tag from USAA hanging in the window which means it has a salvage tittle. Judging by the hit the frame has what we in the body shop biz call a diamond in it by looking at the pics. Thats a hefty price you paid if it has a salvage tittle. It will need to be reinspected by the state befor it can be tagged again.
Yeah, I paid too much, but it's kinda tough to find one up here in Michigan that's not all rusted out. It is a salvage title, but I have bought cars with clean titles that were in much worse accidents. But as far as the frame goes, I can't seem to find any signs of distortion. What is a diamond in terms of frame damage?
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Think of a ladder and if it looks like a triangle. If you drop it or hit it hard on one corner one side of the rail goes backwards and the other side stays in place. If u now look down on it from the top it looks like a diamond shape instead of a triangle. So basically one frame rail will be knocked backwards. U need to use a tram gauge or a tape measure and get under the jeep and measure from one frame rail to the othe front to rear and across. What I mean is fin a hole on the right frame rail behind the front spring and measure to the rear center section of the opposite rail. Write down that measurement and then measure the other side. They should be the same indicating the jeep is square. You are basically measuring a large x under the center sectio. Of the jeep. Then the front section and the. The rear.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
rezinflux
1995 YJ Wrangler 

@HARLEYX2: Ok, I understand now what you meant by diamond. I'll get under it when I put in my replacement transfer case and check on those measurements, it's pretty clear now. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.