Allatoona Citation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Allatoona Citation

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
lturley
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Allatoona Citation

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! I had just pulled up to the lake as a Corp of Engineers Ranger was trolling the shoreline. He proceeded to inform me that I was in a "no warning" situation, jumped out of the boat in knee-deep water and took my ID. Beware, there was no talking him out of it.

lturley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

Citation for what?
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Where were you? I live next to the lake --- I'd sorta like to avoid something like that...
Were you on a dirt road or just freelancing on the bank of the lake? You can't freelance on a public watershed....

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
lturley
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Citation for operating a vehicle off approved roadway. I was riding on the dirt trails off Hwy 20. The officer also told me that Bartow county has an ordinance that states "you must know who's land you are riding on" for what that's worth. I've never seen anyone official riding out there but I can definitely say that you do not want to get caught inside the red striped trees (COE land). I was also told that day that windows are being busted out of parked vehicles with nothing stolen from inside. You know, all of the main roads out there are open access to the WMA, it gets confusing with the old gate posts that have obviously not been used for years.
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

I had heard that those trails were bought by a development company and thus, private property.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Who is breaking windows? Tree huggers? Don't they know we're pretty much on their side?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
lturley
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Who is breaking windows? Tree huggers? Don't they know we're pretty much on their side?
Tree Huggers I doubt. More likely to be members of the surrounding hunt club.
Unread 05-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lturley View Post
Tree Huggers I doubt. More likely to be members of the surrounding hunt club.
I've run into some flakes while off-road, but the only potentially violent ones were gator poachers; I thought I was gunna get shot...
I saw some tree-huggers in Colorado but they were content to just get snippy; they seemed like they were high too. I didn't think they'd be breaking windows.
Drunken redneck hunters with baseball bats and loaded rifles could be a problem; guess I won't go there.
Are there any safe/legal trails around Alatoona Lake? I've only been living in Canton (about 2 miles from the lake) a short time; I'd like to go explore but not if I'm going to get a ticket or get shot at...

Unread 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Calvin4186
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Take sweetwater lane off of 20, theres some good trails out that way

Middle GA Offroad
Calvin4186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
lturley
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are three access roads for the WMA off Hwy 20 and those are the only "legal" roads to ride. A buddy of mine told me last week about getting a ticket from a DNR Ranger for going around an impossible mud hole!! The ranger told him that the mud hole is the ONLY way in or out. You are not allowed to go onto Corp of Engineers land even if there is no gate, their property is maked with red striped trees.

There is a road that follows the COE property line, but runs outside of it, for miles. I don't know what the legality of riding on this road is but it is a great road that is extremely tough in places, it just follows the terrain. I suspect that it is on private property in places and on WMA land elsewhere.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.