4X4 Shop in North Georgia - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > 4X4 Shop in North Georgia

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
jeepyj027
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4X4 Shop in North Georgia

Been doing some thinking about starting a shop somewhere in the north Ga area in the next couple years. My plan would be to stock, sell, and install lift kits, bumpers, seats, tires, wheels, skid plates, lighting, lockers, gears etc. I would mainly focus on custom work though, fabricating custom bumpers, body protection, rocker guards, fenders, roll cages, axles etc. I would plan on being able to do everything from oil changes to building a jeep or buggy from the ground up.

Now the real question, How much of a market do you think is out there for this and where would be an ideal location for such a business?

4" Rough Country lift
33x13.50x15 tsl's on 10" steel wheels
Red Jeep Club #448
jeepyj027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is a very good market in north Georgia. I live near Cumming and round here it seams like everybody either wheels there rig or has some kind of lifted truck or jeep. Southern offroad on 400 is making an *** load of money right now because they are lifting all the dealership trucks for them to sell. My wheeling buddys and I have also thought about opening our own shop some where in Forsyth County in a few years.

Edit: The word censored is a synonym for a cat.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
atl80cj5
1980 CJ5 

Im not too sure about the idea... we are in bad economic times right now so good luck on any sb loans....if your in homer, location needs to be better....maybe athens, commerce seems too small, im in lawrenceville, we're missing a good shop around here. Everyone hates 4wheelparts so much, if you get down here around the metro you might have better luck. Just my .02
atl80cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
jeepyj027
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm definitely not planning on it being in Homer, its a dead town. I was thinking something down atlanta way would probably be a lot more profitable.
4" Rough Country lift
33x13.50x15 tsl's on 10" steel wheels
Red Jeep Club #448
jeepyj027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would think Athens would be a good place. They used to have one, Performance Off Road Center, but it closed down several years ago. It was down a side road off Atlanta Hwy and you really didn't know it was there unless you heard from someone else or looked in the phone book. I'd say the advertising wasn't that great. There is also one in Watkinsville, Oconee Off Road and they are a vendor on the forum. I also know there is a 4Wheel Parts in Norcross. Another shop opened up in Walnut Grove off 138 called Reilly's.

Just giving you ideas of what's out there and what used to be out there in the Northeast GA region. Aside from doing fabrication, gear installs, and ordering parts, things I would like to see (have in stock) in a 4x4 shop is standard items like longer u-bolts, bushings, shock mounts, spring pins, and little stuff that is nice to be able to walk in and buy. I know it cost more and you can't have everything for everybody but I do like the idea. Another thing that PORC did in Athens was buy and sell used 4x4 parts. They would have used off road tires, pitman arms, driveshafts, wheels, springs, etc. I liked being able to rummage through the pile and on occasion I found pretty good stuff. It was one reason I would stop by the shop because they had new (old) stuff all the time.

To be honest I can't say for sure that it's the best economic time to do it but that's what being an entrepreneur is all about, risk. If it's something you want to do and enjoy give it a shot.

Good luck.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check out the fab forum. Lots of shop owners and talk there.... the only way youll succeed is to be very knowledgeable about what youre getting into
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
06RubiconBlue
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Winder maybe? I am from banks county. I know of a shop in Clarksville. Eagle offroad I think.

Anyway, winder close to 365 might be a good location...
06RubiconBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
CCOR
Vendor
1979 CJ5 

We are also located in Athens GA, Louie4!

We are Athens' best kept secret!!

You guys stop by anytime you are in Athens. We are 2 miles off of the Loop 10 on Highway 441 (Commerce Rd.)

CCOR
http://www.classiccityoffroad.com
http://shop.classiccityoffroad.com

www.classiccityoffroad.com
To order call 855-572-GEAR or 706-207-4140
Randy's Gear Supply
CCOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOR
We are also located in Athens GA, Louie4!

We are Athens' best kept secret!!

You guys stop by anytime you are in Athens. We are 2 miles off of the Loop 10 on Highway 441 (Commerce Rd.)

CCOR
http://www.classiccityoffroad.com
http://shop.classiccityoffroad.com
I forgot about you guys over there off 441 going to J&J. I know you've been there a while and some of my buddies have dealt with you also. Do you know the McLain Clan?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
CCOR
Vendor
1979 CJ5 

If you get to the J&J, you went too far!

Yeah, CCOR's owner, Matt has known the McLains for years...Good people

www.classiccityoffroad.com
To order call 855-572-GEAR or 706-207-4140
Randy's Gear Supply
CCOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Techrider85
2001 WJ 

AllSouth is in Buford. If they werent so far awy I would go there. It would be nice to have something near Douglasville. You could get the west side of Atlanta plus the people on the east side of Birmingham.
5" Long Arm IRO 255/75/17 BFG M/T and other stuff
82 CJ7 360 V8 35's and fun
http://i45.tinypic.com/2n0q1p2.jpg
Techrider85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Auburnfan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I kown I am jumping on here about 4 months after you first posted, but consider Paulding County, Hiram area. There are a ton of Jeeps in Paulding, Douglas, and Carroll counties and no places to work with unless we go to Marietta
[B][I][COLOR="Navy"]A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."[/COLOR][/I][/B]

[B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]In the 80's we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope , and Johnny Cash.
Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
Auburnfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.