2.5L to 5.9L swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > 2.5L to 5.9L swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Jandaso
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2.5L to 5.9L swap

Does anyone here in GA has done this ??? I might be looking on starting this on winter....dont have much of the knowledge so it might also be good to have an alternate plan and go with a reputable shop...if someone knows of a shop or a person who has done this sort of work please let me know.

Jandaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
bigjermLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I know a guy who did it. I remember him saying it has run about $4-5k with him doing all of his own work.
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Jandaso
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4-5k including parts ???
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Jandaso
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A put the contact info or send me a PM with ir
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
bigjermLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandaso View Post
4-5k including parts ???
I assume so. He just said 4-5k and I know he has had a few sensor issues and such so maybe more by now. He also has made his own skids for the belly and oil pan because he couldnt find any that would work. So unless you can do it all it cost get real $$$
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Jandaso
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I can work it out for him to see if i can get the cost down......i can prepare the jeep for it to be only to weld the mounts and to put the motor in. Let me know his info ASAP i want to talk to this guy. Thanks
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, I am the one he is talking about. I did a GM V8 swap, though. The 5.9L would be a good choice if you already have an engine/trans. If not I would recommend going the GM route as well. Pick up a used 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 if budget allows. Make sure it has full harness and computer as well as all the accessories and sensors. This is where your build can get blown out of budget fast. I am in Braselton, and could let you see my setup some time. There is a 5.3 for sale right now on a local forum, I think he wants $500, no harness included. (Gatrailriders.com)
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Jandaso
1997 TJ Wrangler 

PM Sent
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Spideracdc1
1981 CJ5 

Or another idea is strip the electronics and go AMC 360 or 304. You slap in a carb there won't be any running issues as long as u have a good carb. Or a gm 350 is very very common and cheap with plenty of drive train parts. If you got the budget a AMC 360 is boss and all jeep. U can pick up a running j10 for 2k. That comes with all gear tranny and transfer case, no chains drive, Dana 44 front and rear axle and if stock a great carb for wheel in and driving. Along with you 5.9 stamping.
Spideracdc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt bother with a carb on any 4x4 you plan to drive off the pavement. The only way to reliably run those off road is with a propane kit. Lots of mountains and steep inclines at all the parks around here. EFI is easy enough to wire up these days, more fuel efficient and reliable.
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also I seen you signed up over on GATR. My friend Danny has a Jeep with 5.9 if you are set on that route, you can take a look at it. Again, unless you were given the engine or have on already, I wouldnt bother. The GM route will be easier in the long run.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Spideracdc1
1981 CJ5 

Stock jeep carb is not as bad as you describe. Efi is a better option but price wise and ease of installation carb is easier. I wheel religiously in my cj5 at Beasley the hill capitol of ga. My dad wheeled his 304 carb rig all over Tellico and went numerous places EFI couldn't touch. I have a Holley with double floats and out wheeled a local 4.0 with my same setup. Its 10 % rig 90% driver any way haha. I get 16 mpg out ta my 5.0 on 35's. I got 13 mpg in my 4.0 on 33's. Efi is better but is more complicated and carb is easy. I agree tho with gm but a v8 is definitely an upgrade from any 4 banger. O and ever wheeled with a Samurai? A local guy that rides Rubicons on 37s said only rig that can keep up with them is a Samurai, those babies are all carb.
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideracdc1 View Post
Stock jeep carb is not as bad as you describe. Efi is a better option but price wise and ease of installation carb is easier. I wheel religiously in my cj5 at Beasley the hill capitol of ga. My dad wheeled his 304 carb rig all over Tellico and went numerous places EFI couldn't touch. I have a Holley with double floats and out wheeled a local 4.0 with my same setup. Its 10 % rig 90% driver any way haha. I get 16 mpg out ta my 5.0 on 35's. I got 13 mpg in my 4.0 on 33's. Efi is better but is more complicated and carb is easy. I agree tho with gm but a v8 is definitely an upgrade from any 4 banger. O and ever wheeled with a Samurai? A local guy that rides Rubicons on 37s said only rig that can keep up with them is a Samurai, those babies are all carb.
When your talking motor swap, it wont be much cheaper swapping in an engine with Carb vs EFI. Just speaking from experience there. This isnt the 70s anymore, EFI is simple and more reliable. I bought a whole engine for $200. Believe it or not it had fuel injection already on it. And can be wired up with as little as 5 wires. Why spend all that money swapping an engine, just to use old technology. If carbs were so great they would still be using them on every jeep that rolled out of the assembly plant.

Carbs on inclines are as bad as I described unless your running propane or a carb designed for offroad use. If you spend any time sitting on one of the steep inclines like at Beasley, eventual that bowl is gonna be empty and your gonna stall out. That is not a place where you will want to back down to flat ground to restart your engine. As far as keeping up with someone, how is having EFI or Carb gonna make a difference? I have seen hundreds of EFI rigs touch every trail in tellico.

Its just my opinion, but I wheel on a monthly basis and with guys that have carbs and when it comes to stalling on steep inclines and obstacles, its usually a carb to blame or someone driving a manual transmission. My jeep has yet to stall out on a hill. Just saying.
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Spideracdc1
1981 CJ5 

I agree about efi versus carb on hills and the reason they don't make em anymore is because of emissions. Efi is controlled by computer and wires and when all components are right is way better option
. But someone quoted 45-5000 for an efi swap where a carb would be less than half with Dana 44 axles added in. I said some efi could not touch in tellico. I wheel every Friday and Saturday night. Holley truck avenger carb for one is made not to flood. A stock 2 barrel motocraft carb hardly ever floods out if it is running correctly. U gotta remember old technology means old parts and alotta junk carbs are killing engines too.

Only point I'm trying to make is he can buy a whole j10 for 2k and get axles and drive train for less than half of that quote. Mounts and all. Just putting it out there I have had 3 efi built jeeps and one k5 efi and this carb. I have seen no difference in performance through Beasley or any other trail around here, if u keep in mind it is a carb.

Price is my point, if its 2k for carb 2k for efi go efi every time. No carb will outperform a efi that's running correctly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.