Gulches ORV Park needs some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > South Carolina Jeep Forum > Gulches ORV Park needs some help

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Gulches Skip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Gulches ORV Park needs some help

I know it seems like a repetitive cry but we are not getting the numbers we need to keep the park up and running. However I am always surprised and pleased at how many first timers we get in the park every month. Therefore I was wondering if any of you frequent or work at, auto parts stores or places that off roaders may hang out or visit and would be willing to add yourself to my mailing list. Or if you have a club forum and would be willing to upload our flier so your club can get exposed to it. Every so often I send out and post on forums fliers with regard to up coming events. If you could place them in these establishments with their permission this may help build up the numbers. Please check to make sure they are okay before you respond to this. If interested please call to get on our list. Do not respond by email or on this forum. I need to ask questions and we do not need to share personal info here. As always thank you for your continued support. Call Skip 864 449 5698

Gulches Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Brian2o0o
2013 JK Wrangler 

We will be coming up from Aiken sometime towards the end of September.
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to come out but I dont want to break my d35 on my 33's. I wouldnt be doing anything crazy hard but. I only live 30 min away. Its just too expensive to ride for a couple hours and then drive back home or if we wanted to camp thats another expense.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
fsSnowboard
2005 TJ Wrangler 

its worth the expense (and its not really that expensive). I also have a d35 with 33's. There is plenty of stuff to do without going crazy.
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok good to know. Thanks.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Hello Skip, I've heard great things about your place and I will be showing up sometime in november for the first time. Myself and few fellow jeepers from columbia will be there to camp and play for a weekend. I can't wait to come try that place out. I will spread the word as well.
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Gulches Skip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
I would like to come out but I dont want to break my d35 on my 33's. I wouldnt be doing anything crazy hard but. I only live 30 min away. Its just too expensive to ride for a couple hours and then drive back home or if we wanted to camp thats another expense.
Agreed. Its cheaper to buy a year's permit in Harlan, KY than it is to do one weekend at the Gulches. I'm not knocking the place, its a really great idea to open up land to offroading and I know insurance and stuff is expensive, but geez man.
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Gulches Skip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Harlan is owned by big coal. Federal law says they need to return the land back to it's natural state or make the land into an entity that is a business or a form of land improvement. Hence the easiest business is to turn the finished mining land into an offroad park. This not only satisfies the federal law but shows them making a little more money without having to sell or completely refurbish the land. They are not doing this because they love us off roaders. They are not doing this for the money, the stinking $35.00 they charge for a year pass does not come close to the money they have to spend to keep the trails open. It's just to be legal with the feds, that's why Gray Rock, Coal Creek and many others are there. Check the other 585 private parks in North America and you will see that our prices are right in the middle.
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulches Skip View Post
Harlan is owned by big coal. Federal law says they need to return the land back to it's natural state or make the land into an entity that is a business or a form of land improvement. Hence the easiest business is to turn the finished mining land into an offroad park. This not only satisfies the federal law but shows them making a little more money without having to sell or completely refurbish the land. They are not doing this because they love us off roaders. They are not doing this for the money, the stinking $35.00 they charge for a year pass does not come close to the money they have to spend to keep the trails open. It's just to be legal with the feds, that's why Gray Rock, Coal Creek and many others are there. Check the other 585 private parks in North America and you will see that our prices are right in the middle.
So who is subsidizing the trail maintenance and expenses if the $35 a year doesn't cover it all?
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have never been, but that is logistical, long drive for me. What are the current prices? Do off road clubs get a discount if they offer time and resources to trail/trash maintenance? I am simply curious.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
fsSnowboard
2005 TJ Wrangler 

$25 for driver and $5 per passenger. I'm not sure about any discounts.
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
Gulches Skip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
So who is subsidizing the trail maintenance and expenses if the $35 a year doesn't cover it all?
The owners of the land do, which is the coal mining company. It is a lot cheaper to maintain trails than it is to fill in mines and replace trees where all the strip mining took place. If you have been there recently you will see all this old heavy equipment sitting there that they use to keep the trails clear. Rotate new equipment into the mines and old to the park.

Just a side note they don't even have you sign a wavier, if you get hurt and want to sue they will tie you up in court till your grand children are 60. They have batteries of lawyers. Now don't get me wrong I'm glad the federal government is allowing this loop whole in their NEPA requirements for big coal. Gives us a couple of more places to ride without fear of closing. It's the loss of other public lands that makes folks like me open private parks. And trust me we don't do it to get rich. I'm financed to the hilt. But I am the only place in South Carolina I am allowed to ride. Anywhere else you need a letter from the owner or you are trespassing. I have been snookered into riding on land where "the owner doesn't mind" and got a $500.00 ticket for trespassing.
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
Gulches Skip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsSnowboard View Post
$25 for driver and $5 per passenger. I'm not sure about any discounts.
We give discounts for groups depending on the number of rigs coming in. (Call for discount info 864 449 5698) Also we have a weekend pass. $50.00 covers your rig, you, your passengers, and camping from Friday to Sunday evening.
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
WillMcD
2004 WJ 

Ill be up Saturday (20th) to ride. Its a good 3 hour drive for me but its worth the haul.
04 WJ Limited Black, 5.5" LA hybrid (IRO Trackbar, Teraflex Springs, Bilstein 5100/5125 Shocks, IRO Critical Path High Clearance LA's + KOR 3/4" spacers, JKS Disconnects) 32" Firestone Destination M/T's, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Black Moabs, Muffler Delete, Hella 700ff's, Yakima Load Warrior

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Phil:4:13: I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=billzcat;10933305]a lot of people waste their life playing FB games all day like Farmville, Cityville, Gangsterville, Hookersnblowville, Idonteffingcareville[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Green"]August 2011 GCOTM Winner[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]Build Thread:[/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04-wj-college-build-willmcd-1050247/#post9619953"]04 WJ College Build-WillMcD[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE]
WillMcD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.