Gulches ORV park - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > South Carolina Jeep Forum > Gulches ORV park

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
drew76
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Gulches ORV park

I'm trying to find some information on Gulches ORV park to see if it is worth going to. One of the reasons I am trying to make sure it is worth it is it will be around a 3 hour drive to get there. The other reason is that I have an almost completely stock 2005 TJ, only change is that it now has 31" x 10.5" tires (I'm saving up so I can get a suspension lift!!!). I've taken the jeep to tellico (that was my 1st off roading experience) and did Trail 1 up to Trail 4, then Trail 4 up to Trail 3 and did trail 3 from start to finish.

Looked up there website online and seemed like they have some trails for unmodified Jeeps, but I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have been there. If any one can lend some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know if they are open during the winter?

Thank you in advance!

drew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Southerntracker
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've only been once and that time I rode with someone else but I still had a blast.

The park is open most weekends, exceptions are usually posted on the Gulches forums or call Gulches office and speak to Skip to make sure.

There are trails that can be done stock, but a lifted jeep is better if you want to try the more difficult obstacles. Each of the trails is marked indicating the difficulty and most of the trails have nicknames (cupcake, rebel blvd, shipwreck, etc). There are bypasses for most of the obstacles and the harder trails so you can always go around. I will warn you that the park does get very muddy when it rains.

Gulches does have restroom facilities in the main building and they serve cooked lunches (usually hot dogs or hamburgers) that you can buy.

96 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd w/ 2" lift on 31's, street rig
89 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4, future trail rig

Mid-Carolina Jeepers Secretary
Southerntracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
drew76
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much for the info. As long as there are some trails that are more than just a basic dirt road that will make me happy for now! As or right now looks like I'll be heading out there next Saturday.
Unread 01-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been there once and it is a nice park but you will not be able to take advantage of at least 40% of the trails with your setup without scraping underneath a lot, getting hung up, and smoking tires.

The park is not very big so they make use of all the land they have and have a lot of short trails very close together. Some of the trails are less than 50 yards long. They have a lot of hill climbs, some of which are down right scary as hell, and a good mix of rocks, mud, etc. It is a very fun park and very challenging with a lot of variety. If you go though and plan to try most of their trails you might want to get it in your head that body damage might happen. I tore up both of my fenders in a matter of no time.

But aside from the few downsides it has the people that own and manage the place are very nice and helpful and I will definitely be back when I get the chance.
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
drew76
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info on Gulches, pretty sure I'm gonna visit this coming weekend. Really looking forward to getting out and having some fun with the Jeep!
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
drew76
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot to ask....should I air down my tires when I go? If so, what is a recommendation as I do not have rims with bead locks...

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Unread 02-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
StevenH

Did you make it out to Gulches? What do you think about the place? Also, did you try Heartbreaker and did you do the rock garden at the top of the trail?
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
drew76
2005 TJ Wrangler 

made it out there on Saturday and spent the entire day there. Couldn't be a nicer bunch of people. From the minute we got there everyone was extremely nice and helpful. Skip (the owner I believe) is a great guy and actually took the time to check my Jeep (its bone stock except for tires) and gave me some recommendations for a better ride and then filled us in on what trails would be best for a stock jeep and what to expect. He then referred us to one of the regulars Matt, who went out of his way to show us around and see to it that we had a great time. Really had a great time and can't wait to go back, now I just need to buy a 2" Budget Boost and some 32 x 11.50 mud terrains!!!!

No rock garden or heartbreak hill for me, yet! I'll attempt that when I have some mods done to the Jeep.

Really need to spread the word on how great the people are at Gulches ORV park, that's the type of place I woudn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.
Unread 02-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
2006LJRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well when you decide to come back give me a holla. Was it wet the day you went? Hopefully i will have my winch by the next time i go up there.
Unread 02-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
drew76
2005 TJ Wrangler 

will do!!!

I really wish I lived closer, I would be there every weekend...its about a 3 hour drive each way!
Unread 02-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
06flex
1999 TJ Wrangler 

great OHV park. Skip and Matt are both great people. The last time I went was in my wifes stock 07 wrangler and blew a tire 5 min in to the trail. Matt was nice enough to take his almost stock wrangler (at the time) down every trail so our time was not wasted after the hour drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You didn't correct the problem, you only worked around the real problem.
06flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
drew76
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hate that I live so far away. All I thought about all week was going back to Gulches!!!

Have to say it again....Skip, Matt, and everyone else we encountered there were great people. That really makes the whole experience that much better.
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I have a stock CJ-7 with 31-10.5 AT's and they would not let us in on rainy day. Said it was too bad. We should have called ahead. Nice people.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
jlawson382
2004 TJ Wrangler 

To be fair, if you went on Saturday, it WAS too bad - the tornado that went through Iva was headed in their general direction.
jlawson382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.