Driving East from California... to surf the Atlantic. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > South Carolina Jeep Forum > Driving East from California... to surf the Atlantic.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
PitLove
2012 JK Wrangler 

Driving East from California... to surf the Atlantic.

A friend and I are planning on driving from California to the East Coast somewhere to surf in the Atlantic Ocean this summer. Here's the kicker, I'm going to do it with out doors or the top on my Jeep. I was wondering if anyone knows a decent spot to surf anywhere along the Atlantic Coast. Preferably near South Carolina but I'm not turned off by going someplace else if that's where the waves are... I know that 2,520 miles with out doors and a top are going to be rough, but this trip is more about the adventure of it then anything else. We will be stopping multiple places along the way to "see the sights" and probably get drunk in a local dive bar... The trip will be chronicled with GoPros, Cameras and I'll write about it afterwards...

Unfortunately, off-roading will not be much of the trip. we are looking to enjoy driving across the US, meeting people, seeing different places, surfing the Atlantic and generally having a good time. Any suggestions on where to surf or where to stop are welcome. I'm reaching out to the jeep community to find places to visit. Please feel free to suggest a route also. I'm sure someone around here knows some roads that offer a better experience then just careening down the interstate and missing all the small gems that make small towns great. Getting from point A to point B in the fastest way possible isn't what this trip is about. This trip is about the places in between point A and B... and well surfing in the Atlantic too.

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
PitLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
fsSnowboard
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've always wanted to see Route 66, so I would head that way. I've only lived here 6 years so I don't know any interesting routes to the coast yet to recommend. As far as surfing, I don't surf so couldn't tell you.
Unread 11-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your best option for surfing would be the Outer Banks of NC unless you drive further down south to FL. Most of our waves on the east coast do not get too big unless theres a storm out in the Atlantic brewing. Hope your trip went well(if you already took it) if not drive safe and good luck.
Red Jeep Club #656
Steel4Pens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

folly beach is decent for surfing if the tides are right. Datona is probably one of the best places on the east coast too. you gonna do any wheelin while your at it?

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
PitLove
2012 JK Wrangler 

It looks like we will probably head to Daytona... We aren't looking for great swells. Just something to surf the atlantic. Its more to say that we did it than anything else. And we all just want to take the road trip. Thanks for the tips.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
PitLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
ATown17
2010 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Charleston so I'm partial to it. The waves are fine normally and can get decently big with a storm offshore. Outer Banks, NC and Sebastians Inlet, FL both have better waves and places where you can drive onto and / or camp on the beach. I'd probably pick Florida. Looking forward to some pics!
ATown17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
JaxBerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Jacksonville and the waves are solid ... Post some pix of the journey. Looking forward to following the thread.
JaxBerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
tdburleson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been all up and down the east coast and I would have to say that Hatteras has some really good surf but doesn't have all of the hype as Daytona. However if you plan to get here around April 24th-28th Jeep beach will be going on in Daytona, which I would highly recommend.
tdburleson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.