JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   South Carolina Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f331/)
-   -   Driving East from California... to surf the Atlantic. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f331/driving-east-california-surf-atlantic-1426304/)

PitLove 10-11-2012 12:10 AM

Driving East from California... to surf the Atlantic.

A friend and I are planning on driving from California to the East Coast somewhere to surf in the Atlantic Ocean this summer. Here's the kicker, I'm going to do it with out doors or the top on my Jeep. :facepalm: I was wondering if anyone knows a decent spot to surf anywhere along the Atlantic Coast. Preferably near South Carolina but I'm not turned off by going someplace else if that's where the waves are... I know that 2,520 miles with out doors and a top are going to be rough, but this trip is more about the adventure of it then anything else. We will be stopping multiple places along the way to "see the sights" and probably get drunk in a local dive bar... The trip will be chronicled with GoPros, Cameras and I'll write about it afterwards...

Unfortunately, off-roading will not be much of the trip. we are looking to enjoy driving across the US, meeting people, seeing different places, surfing the Atlantic and generally having a good time. Any suggestions on where to surf or where to stop are welcome. I'm reaching out to the jeep community to find places to visit. Please feel free to suggest a route also. I'm sure someone around here knows some roads that offer a better experience then just careening down the interstate and missing all the small gems that make small towns great. Getting from point A to point B in the fastest way possible isn't what this trip is about. This trip is about the places in between point A and B... and well surfing in the Atlantic too.

fsSnowboard 10-14-2012 08:05 AM

I've always wanted to see Route 66, so I would head that way. I've only lived here 6 years so I don't know any interesting routes to the coast yet to recommend. As far as surfing, I don't surf so couldn't tell you.

Steel4Pens 11-01-2012 01:43 AM

Your best option for surfing would be the Outer Banks of NC unless you drive further down south to FL. Most of our waves on the east coast do not get too big unless theres a storm out in the Atlantic brewing. Hope your trip went well(if you already took it) if not drive safe and good luck.

mcannon111 11-01-2012 12:01 PM

folly beach is decent for surfing if the tides are right. Datona is probably one of the best places on the east coast too. you gonna do any wheelin while your at it?

PitLove 11-15-2012 09:56 PM

It looks like we will probably head to Daytona... We aren't looking for great swells. Just something to surf the atlantic. Its more to say that we did it than anything else. And we all just want to take the road trip. Thanks for the tips.

ATown17 11-19-2012 03:20 PM

I live in Charleston so I'm partial to it. The waves are fine normally and can get decently big with a storm offshore. Outer Banks, NC and Sebastians Inlet, FL both have better waves and places where you can drive onto and / or camp on the beach. I'd probably pick Florida. Looking forward to some pics!

JaxBerry 01-06-2013 02:26 PM

I live in Jacksonville and the waves are solid ... Post some pix of the journey. Looking forward to following the thread.

tdburleson 01-12-2013 12:29 PM

I've been all up and down the east coast and I would have to say that Hatteras has some really good surf but doesn't have all of the hype as Daytona. However if you plan to get here around April 24th-28th Jeep beach will be going on in Daytona, which I would highly recommend.

The time now is 04:55 PM.