Wilmington? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Wilmington?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ok now that we have established that, what day of the week would be best for most?

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

wednesday or thursday is probabaly the best or either the weekend...........
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot493 View Post
wednesday or thursday is probabaly the best or either the weekend...........
I'm thinking about the same, weekend kinda hard for me, usually doing something with the wife

NRA Life member

Unread 09-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

i need to find me a place to wheel around wilmington* since i finally fixed my broken axle u-joint. got to get a lift soon kinda tight with the 31's on the zj.

*NOT at the beach we go there all the time.......its fun but the kidos like to PLAY at the beach more and would rather RIDE in the woods.
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
JEEPER188
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a lot of trails down river road, but they are not so much of what you would say: legal in the law's eyes. But I may or may not been down wheel some trails out there. "But I don't want to break the any laws." Shhh....
JEEPER188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

i may or may not have seen thoes trails and may or may not have been worried about the no tresspasing signs.more of the may part lol............... i thought about trying to ride down to the bay tree lake state park sometime.
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
twojacks
2003 TJ Wrangler 

At one point there was a Coastal Carolina club (used to meet at Flaming Amy's bowl on Thursdays), but most of the NC participants dissipated and think it's primarily MB folks now...but do think they meet regularly some place down there. There's another semi-club Carolina Trail Stalkers mostly based out of Jville, they are usually out at the north end of Topsail, but there are some Wilmington members who hit Freeman Park or Ft. Fisher as well.

As for local trails...nada...unless you have written permission of the property owner...otherwise wheel at your own risk (groups of vehicles tend to draw more attention as well). If you're looking for riding in the woods, closest option is Holly Shelter game lands, which is open most Mon, Wed, Sat & Sun (IIRC)...but that's just dirt roads that any car can go down. Or head up to Croatan near Havelock...but that's mainly dirt/mud roads. There's really nothing with rocks unless you go to URE or Gulches.
twojacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just trying to put some people with a common hobby together is all

NRA Life member

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
bigfoot493
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojacks View Post
At one point there was a Coastal Carolina club (used to meet at Flaming Amy's bowl on Thursdays), but most of the NC participants dissipated and think it's primarily MB folks now...but do think they meet regularly some place down there. There's another semi-club Carolina Trail Stalkers mostly based out of Jville, they are usually out at the north end of Topsail, but there are some Wilmington members who hit Freeman Park or Ft. Fisher as well.

As for local trails...nada...unless you have written permission of the property owner...otherwise wheel at your own risk (groups of vehicles tend to draw more attention as well). If you're looking for riding in the woods, closest option is Holly Shelter game lands, which is open most Mon, Wed, Sat & Sun (IIRC)...but that's just dirt roads that any car can go down. Or head up to Croatan near Havelock...but that's mainly dirt/mud roads. There's really nothing with rocks unless you go to URE or Gulches.
yea ive been to the game lands a couple of time with the kids.......rode for many miles(like 40 to be exact). My in-laws have a place at north topsail beach and i've done the north end there.......got really stuck trying to pull out two stuck jeeps. I did croatan back in 2007 and ended up having to leave because of a massive fire......

the main problem is there is no where to go locally in or aroud wilmington and finding people to go with to thoes other places futher away. I used to go wheeling when i lived in smithfield with a group of people from carolina off raod forum but that site is no longer up..........but i did find a facebook page for costal carolina off raod. I liked it so i can follow some of there wheeling trips but it mostly seems to be people from the mb area. also found eastern jeepaholics on facebook to.........looks to be mostly people from centeral nc. its just kinda hard to find people to go wheeling with when your new to an area and everyone eles just has there couple of buddies that they go with. kinda hard to meet thoes people without some type of infrastructure to meet up.
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
Brando5185
2006 WK 

Im up in goldsboro looking for places. If you find any let me know. Not too far from you.
Brando5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #26
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Id like to try Croatan sometime..problem around Wilmington is there isnt much but sand......

NRA Life member

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
twojacks
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot493 View Post
its just kinda hard to find people to go wheeling with when your new to an area and everyone eles just has there couple of buddies that they go with. kinda hard to meet thoes people without some type of infrastructure to meet up.
And that's the truth about eastern NC...for all the great things it has going, a strong collective 4wd community is not one of them. I'm all in support of groups getting organized, so definitely encourage whomever to reach out in the all the outlets available.
twojacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
PopperM5
1994 ZJ 

I live near Apex, but we do try to make it down to Wilmington/CB/FF about once a month. My little one loves the beach as do I!!
PopperM5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.