Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wheeling in North Carolina ?

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  jumbojeepman 
#1 ·
The family and I are thinking of moving to North Carolina from So. California. What kind of wheeling am I going to find? I have a TJ, 4 1/2" long arm kit, ARB front and rear on 35" BFG Mud Terrains. The kids and I also have dirt bikes how are the trails for them? Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Tom

#3 ·
Exactly where in NC? Theres Tellico in Murphy, NC for now. Theres Beasley in Blairsville, GA. Do a search and you'll find some others, but in AL, & TN.

#4 ·
In addition, there is Brown Mountain, which has limited 4x4 trails, but many dirt bike trails. There's a 4x4 area in the Uwharrie National Forest. You can drive on the beach in various places along the coast, but not as may as last year due to closures along Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

In the Croatan National Forest there are a bunch of fire road type trails with a few bottomless mud pits.

There are a bunch of dirt road trails all over the national forests in the mountains. Most are easy, but fun to explore if that's your thing. There are a few difficult parts. Most are centered around the Nantahala Nat'l Forest near Murphy, and a bunch in the Boone vicinity. Basically any National Forest in NC has some 4x4 trails.

The two most interesting to your type of Jeep are Tellico and Uwharrie.

#8 ·
Hey Tom. I live in the Denver/Lincolnton area. Looking at your rig's specs, you might not get a lot of jollies out of Uwharrie. There's really only a few technical obstacles and tons of dust. Not a lot of fun in the summer months. As already stated, Tellico, Harlan OHV, and Callantee (sp) are all within a half day drive and offer some of the best wheeling in the east. My personal favorite is Harlan.

#7 ·
The uwharries are a great place to take off-road vehicles. It offers quite a challenge but plenty of room for error and if you don't feel good about something there's always a way around. Its 5 bucks a day and they have 8 loops i believe. The best place i've been, I live in Raleigh, is Harlan Kentucky. Its about 6 hours a way but worth the time to get there and back. Beautiful place with trails EVERYWHERE> Dirtbikes and OHV are allowed at both.

#9 ·
Ther is an excellant group in the Denver /Lincolnton area, the Big Dixie Boggers. They have joined with my club, the Carolina Trailblazers in several events. They are having an event soon. see : http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46702
Also lots of local NC info on NC4X4.com

#10 ·
out of the places you listed, Mooresville by far would be the nicest area to live. you're close enough to Charlotte to have all the big city benefits, and far enough out to not have such outrageous taxes. if you're a race fan, mooresville is perfect, as it's named race city USA.

Uwharrie is a cool place, and there's definately alot of trail riding there, but tellico is much more hardcore. UWharrie is still very fun, and decently difficult. i go with a buddy of mine who drives a TJ on 35's and he has plenty of fun. atv's and dirtbikes are welcomed there too. You also have the benefit of it being a national forest and having tons of camping and hiking. I believe there's a lake in Uwharrie too, but I've never been to it.

#13 ·
Brown Mountain
Hurricane Creek
Richlands Road
Uwharrie
Beech Mountain
Callalantee
Tellico
Windrock (Coal Creek)
Harlan

I listed them roughly in their order of difficulty. Windrock, Tellico and Harlan are roughly 4 - 5 hours out but the rest of them are all within a couple hours of where you will be living. There are a number of private trails that are invite only as well.

#19 ·
I read something on another forum about some mild trails around the Falls Lake area. I can't find it now but I just remember reading about something a while ago. I've never been there but that may be a place to start searching for. I have not lived in that area for 10 years and am out of the loop these days.

Dave

#18 ·
i am glad batallion finally mentioned richlands... by far my favorite in NC. Up between hickory/lenoir and boone on 321. Awesome wheelin, trails, rocks, cliffs, creeks, camping (though a little scarey if you have ever done it). I live in wilmington, on the coast. Beach wheelin is fun too! different, but fun!!

#22 ·
They are almost bottomless, in fact. The whole Croatan forest area is a bit of soil a foot or two deep on top of a peat bog that runs virtually down to sea lever (whole area isn't more than 10-20 feet over sea level.) If you get below the layer of soil, you get into some nasty stuff really quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.