Vintage Jeeps on the Blue Ridge Parkway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Vintage Jeeps on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

Cj Vintage Jeeps on the Blue Ridge Parkway

I I'm trying to get a group of older Jeeps (1975 and prior) together to ride the full length -- 470 miles -- of the Blue Ridge Parkway (VA/NC) next fall -- Sept or Oct 2014. (Or, maybe you'll want to just meet up and ride with the group part of a day.)

I've set up a website with trip info, and a proboards forum for trip planning:

http://jeeptour.sanlee.com

Please help spread the word!

Last edited by waywardfool; 10-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: update url
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

I've had some PM's and emails already giving ideas for future trips....so I changed up the web address some so it will carry over to future years and not be specific to the Blue Ridge Parkway. New web address is http://jeeptour.sanlee.com

The previous "parkway" subdomain will redirect to the new site. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
06_footy
1977 J-Series Truck 

Can it be below 1980's? I'd love to ride my 77' J10 out.
Stock
06_footy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

Yeah, that would be cool, might have some other fsj's along.

We have a planning forum set up at the East Coast Willys Association. eastcoastwillys.org
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

Wanting to get the date for this pinned down by the end of this month. If you are interested, vote in the poll at ECWA http://eastcoastwillys.proboards.com.../397/date-poll

(Or just reply in this thread, I'll include in the tally)
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
OSH
1977 CJ5 

Cj

Bump .... looking to see if there is any update on this.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

Sorry...missed jeepforum when I did the updates...

Weekend is set for September 18-21, 2014.

Planning and comments are spread over several forums....the home forum at ECWA, ecj5, cj2apages, etc. I have tried to consolidate everything at jeeptour.sanlee.com

Otherwise, here is the last update posted on other forums:

UPDATE: After several hectic weeks with family and work, I finally had some free time tonight and thought I'd work thru some emails and PM's from folks about the trip, and post some updates on the various forums.

We are looking at two nights "on the road". I had been thinking Fancy Gap and Spruce Pine, but several people have recommended Meadows of Dan, just a few miles North of Fancy Gap, as a better place for the first night. I am going to do some research on that. I still need someone in each area to check out the campgrounds and get some more information. Also, some folks may want to camp near Waynesboro, and again at Cherokee at either end of the trip, so some input on camping in those areas would be great. I hope to have campsites firmly set in the next few weeks so folks can start making their reservations. From past experience, most campgrounds allow two vehicles and two tents per site, so I'd recommend that everyone try and buddy up with someone on your "home" forum (ecj5, cj2apages, etc) when making your reservations...both to leave sites for others, and to cut your nightly costs.

I really don't have any idea of of how many participants there will be, and we really won't know until the ride is over...I'm not planning on any fancy registration, etc....just show up and ride, and folks can make their own campsite reservations. From the survey and emails, it looks like most participants will be camping instead of using motels. From the responses I have received...maybe 30 people (vehicles) have said that they are "definitely going"...from past experience, it could be a tenth of that, or double. Many more don't want to commit to the logistics of the full length, and are just talking about riding part of a day.

If someone wants to do something like a t-shirt to commemorate the event, feel free. Just design, post, and sell. I got no objections. Remember is not a site/forum specific ride, other than operating under the auspices of the ECWA (East Coast Willys Association) "Adventure Rides". Contact the ECWA for permissions first if you are want to consider using their name/logo/etc as part of a design, though.

Each day will be mostly "play it by ear"...the morning start time being the only scheduled item. With 40-60 year old Jeeps, we could easily be wrenching on the side of the road, towing to the next camp (or a safe place), making a parts run, or whatever. We will try and "guestimate" waypoint times during the day, for those that want to meet up along the way. We need someone good with GPS/mapping/websites to create a method for some sort of an interactive reporting of where we are (for those trying to meet us, and to torment those at home).

I know space is limited in the little Jeeps. We'll be tight with 2 people and a big dog in the CJ-5. Personally, I am hoping to have my jeep-sized trailer built by September. If anyone that is Jeepless has an enclosed cargo trailer and would be willing to help by hauling camping gear (maybe limit to something like 1 duffel bag and 1 rubbermaid tote per person?), then maybe we can work out a contribution to your gas bill (on an individual basis).

If you have any ideas, suggestions for must-sees, side trips, a good place for a "family" photo (likely on Saturday), etc, let me know. There are threads going on several Jeep/4x4 related forums, and, of course, the "home" forum for the trip at the ECWA. I try and summarize information on the page http://jeeptour.sanlee.com

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.