Uwharrie Questions (newbie, please be kind) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Uwharrie Questions (newbie, please be kind)

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
eastncjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Jk Uwharrie Questions (newbie, please be kind)

I am going to Uwharrie on the first weekend in May (family trip).

Mostly of what I have seen online are the pictures and videos of the harder trails like Daniel. Could you recommend specific trails for a newbie with a 09 JKU (no winch, light mods)? Pictures from those trails would be even better.

Honestly, I'm just looking for light/easy four wheeling my first time down there to get used to it some. Is there an area where the harder trails can be watched without driving onto them yourself? My son and I would like to watch the experienced drivers on the harder trails. Maybe snap a few photos, pick up some build inspirations, and learn from more experienced people.

My prior four wheeling experience basically comes from driving on the beach at Ocracoke.

Thanks,

Jim

Unread 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
BonesWK
2006 WK 

Hey dude you should be fine up there. I have wheeled with a stock jk unlimited with skids in the group.

Skid plates will Def help for sure but if you are careful they aren't required.

Do a search in Google or NC4x4 for Uwharrie map. All the green trails should be easy for you to do. It's a blast up there
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Dash
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stay off Daniel and you will be fine.

Trail maps are available at The Outpost in Eldorado.

Go to Kodak on Rocky Mountain Loop to watch folks play on a big rock. There is a bypass and usually lots of places to park and watch.
Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
08_Sahara16
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Google a good Uwharrie map before you go. The ones you get at the outpost are rubbish.
So stay off Daniel if you are inexperienced. Although it is possible to do it stock.
Dutch John, Dickey Bell and Rocky Mountain Loop are the other hard trails but you should have no trouble.
Best advice I can give you is just print out a good trail map.
For a good show, head to Kodak Rock on Rocky Mountain Loop. Also check out the Soup Bowl at the beginning of Falls Dam (can't remember which road it's off of)
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Like said, you can do every trail but Daniel in your stock JK. All the other trails have bypasses around any of the more difficult obstacles. Take Rocky Mt Loop to the Kodak Rock area and you'll have plenty of opportunity to watch more experienced drivers play on the rocks

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
cj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
eastncjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to do the rocky mountain loop to Kodak so I can do some sightseeing!

just for clarification, on the rocky mountain loop, there ARE bypasses for the obstacles to get to the kodak area? I saw where 08 sahara listed rocky mountain as a hard trail.

I'm getting excited about the trip
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
08_Sahara16
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastncjeep
thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to do the rocky mountain loop to Kodak so I can do some sightseeing!

just for clarification, on the rocky mountain loop, there ARE bypasses for the obstacles to get to the kodak area? I saw where 08 sahara listed rocky mountain as a hard trail.

I'm getting excited about the trip
There are bypasses for most all hard obstacles. And yes, there is a bypass for Kodak, you'll probably miss it at first, jut back up and you'll see it once you hit Kodak. It splits off into 2 trails, go to the right.
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
eastncjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Do I need a helmet to ride or get my pass? I saw on the NC Park site it mentioned helmets, but didn't clearly specify if it was only for ATVs/Dirt Bikes.

Also, what are some needed items that I should have?

I am putting together a first aid kit, I have a 30 ft tow strap, and a basic screwdriver/socket tool set.
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need a helmet, just make sure everyone is buckled up. Trail passes can be purchased at Eldorado Outpost. (check out their website for location). Be sure to get a pass to avoid expensive fines.
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
EdJonesJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastncjeep View Post
Do I need a helmet to ride or get my pass? I saw on the NC Park site it mentioned helmets, but didn't clearly specify if it was only for ATVs/Dirt Bikes.

Also, what are some needed items that I should have?

I am putting together a first aid kit, I have a 30 ft tow strap, and a basic screwdriver/socket tool set.

Fire Extinguisher, Gallon of water...
EdJonesJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
08_Sahara16
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...89&tx=62&ty=78
Unread 04-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I recommend you have another vehicle in your group in case something goes wrong. If not, stay on the easier trails for sure, and dont do anything crazy. Even if you do break down there is usually plenty of other people on the trails that are willing to lend a hand.

Daniel you definitely want to stay away from, and Dickey Bell can be challenging for a beginner. Other than those trails there isnt much difficulty to URE (unless it is really muddy, in which case you should NEVER wheel alone)
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
eastncjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'd like to thank everyone for the help/advice. My family and I had a blast this past weekend. I did Wolf's Den, Falls Dam, Sawpost, some of Rocky Mountain Loop and some of Slabpile. My mostly stock JKU did a lot more than I thought it would, and with ease.

Everyone was really nice. I stopped by the Triad Jeep club and got some tips about the connection of the trails, awesome people. On my last run of Falls Dam, I found myself on the back end of a 10 jeep convoy on the trail. It was really, really fun.

Now to find an active jeep club around the greenville, nc area...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.