Uwharrie for Newbies (& everyone else) Apr 9-10th - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Uwharrie for Newbies (& everyone else) Apr 9-10th

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Uwharrie for Newbies (& everyone else) Apr 9-10th

EDIT: PICTURES START ON PAGE 6
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/uwharrie-newbies-everyone-else-apr-9-10th-1184932/index6.html

A few members of the DurtyRok crew will be hitting the trails at Uwharrie April 9th & 10th. All jeepers are welcome to join us for this slow-paced trail ride focused on helping new jeepers experience off-roading.

Stock TJ's and JK's will be set up well where other stock models may have clearance issues over the erosion mounds on trails.

For more information you can ask here or visit the Durtyrok forum: http://forum.durtyrok.com/Wheeling101

A few members will be camping at Arrowhead campground and wheeling for a few hours on Sunday. Reservations can be made here:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Arrowhead

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For those that have not been out there, here is a taste of what the trails are like. Almost all 'difficult' sections can be avoided. I tried to select some pictures of our stocks rigs.. we don't have many though.

Unread 03-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

$5/day trail passes ($30 annual) are required and if you prefer camping is allowed off the trails for free.

Arrowhead campground sites have room for a jeep or two, lantern post, fire ring / grill surface, and a nice bath house with showers.

Unread 03-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

We may confuse people. I don't think we've both been out on the trails at the same time.

Some of us from the Lake Norman area are talking about heading over there on the 9th.
GotLime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think people will notice a difference between yours and mine . It'd be nice to finally meet. So far we know of a few people that haven't been out there before that are planning on coming. You guys are welcome to join the pack but our pace will be determined by the newer people.
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one, but URE is definitely an excellent place for newbies to get their feet wet. Still trying to get the next Coal Creek trip worked out, but I probably can't make it to that one either...

Edit: Actually I will be able to make it.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

We've got some guys with rigs that are pretty close to stock. No problem!

We don't go that fast and I know I enjoy watching people "play" on obstacles I can't (or won't) clear.
GotLime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys. I'm going to try and convince Sarah to go, as she could really use the experience. Her Jeep isn't stock but URE will be her first real offroading test. The only thing she does not have currently (and we are working on that) is front recovery points.
We will only be able to take in Sunday... perhaps Saturday night if the weather is warm enough to camp, as both of us have to work on Saturdays. <>
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

We have some requirements for the club, but will be more lenient for this run.

We will still require:
1 recovery point
Functional seat belts to be worn
No drinking on trails

We will have tow straps and should have a few winches in the group if needed. I just put a BB on mine and all the times I went out there I never got stuck, only scrapped up the skid plates a bit.

For those that don't know, Uwharrie is a national forrest so alcohol is not permitted out there. *I hear that as long as you keep it out of sight you won't have problems and a cold beer tastes pretty good around the campfire.
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and DeepSkyy, hope you guys can make it. Just so you know, Sunday will be a shorter day for a lot of us in our group, leaving around 2pm ish. Some may stay later but wanted to you know ahead of time.
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I will actually try and make it out. I have been wanting to go camping and this weekend might be the perfect one to go. Its only 2 hours from me. Id love to see some neat jeeps and be bigger than some lol. Ill be taking it easy though as its my DD and still on the d35 and stock steering. Gotta get my rear ujoints on the ds fixed. I only have front tow hooks and no rear tow hooks but I can bring a fire extinguisher.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yeti_ View Post
We have some requirements for the club (F&R recovery points, fire extinguisher, etc) but will be more lenient for this run.

We will still require:
1 recovery point
Functional seat belts to be worn
No drinking on trails

We will have tow straps and should have a few winches in the group if needed. I just put a BB on mine and all the times I went out there I never got stuck, only scrapped up the skid plates a bit.

For those that don't know, Uwharrie is a national forrest so alcohol is not permitted out there. *I hear that as long as you keep it out of sight you won't have problems and a cold beer tastes pretty good around the campfire.
She does have a hitch on the back so a rear recovery point is no big deal, just nothing on the front (yet). I have a winch and a tow strap.
Her XJ is currently sporting a 3 or 3.5" short arm lift on 31"s. If no one has issue with the lack of front recovery points, I'll postpone our opening weekend trip for this one, and we will come out Saturday night (unless by some miracle we can both get Saturday off).
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Sarahdactyl
★=THE MOAR YOU KNOOOW=

1991 XJ Cherokee 

I would like to join. I have only been offroading twice. Drove Deepskyy's YJ once, and then took my XJ to the Rocks and Road Tour. So I think this will be good for me. Andy and I spent most of the winter fixing the XJ

Don't want to wait for a reply or just want to chat with other Jeepers?
Join JF IRC Chatroom. Click here to go directly to the webclient and
type in #jeepforum for the channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
Sarah has the punctuality of an American airlines flight in a Chicago snowstorm
Sarahdactyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #14
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

The more the merrier! I will be out there Saturday for sure and maybe even Sunday.
Unread 03-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #15
AppFan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to try to make this. I go in for re-gearing, tru-trac, and an 8.8 with ls Monday so I need to try it out soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.