JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   North Carolina Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/)
-   -   Uwharrie (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/uwharrie-1504230/)

NCRUBI2012 04-04-2013 07:09 PM

Uwharrie
 
Looking for a few people to join at URE sometime soon. I went last weekend but it was so busy. Would like to try on a quieter day with a few folks that know their way around. I am not stock but still want to move forward with caution. Not a newbie but it has been a few years since I ran an old pick up in NY. Tons different from a brand new Rubi with all the toys. I see a "college kid" group but not sure they would enjoy the company of my old ***.

JCJeep97 04-04-2013 07:14 PM

Many of us are planning a trip on the 11th of May:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/...-12-a-1504120/

wilkow 04-04-2013 07:51 PM

I am planning on going this Saturday. I have never been on the trails so I'm a newb. I don't want to do anything crazy just trail ride.

NCRUBI2012 04-04-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkow
I am planning on going this Saturday. I have never been on the trails so I'm a newb. I don't want to do anything crazy just trail ride.

Wilkow - I can't make this weekend since I have my daughter but let's keep in touch for a different time.

Like the May 11th idea but that seems so far away. I will at last plan on it for now.

wilkow 04-04-2013 08:01 PM

I have a question for those that have been. If i come across an obstacle or something I don't feel comfortable traversing, can I turn around or are there "lanes" within the trails set for easy, medium, hard, etc? I printed a cool trail map from CNC4X4 and from what I've read, I should stay away from Daniel, Dutch John, and Rocky Mount (but its closed per Uwharrie website). On paper, gonna do Falls Dam, Dickey Bell, and Wolf Den. Also should I expect those 3 trails to take a couple hours, all day, 30 mins....sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never been. Are there huge lines waiting to go through stuff?


NCRUBI - I live in Norwood (like 15 mins away) so anytime you wanna go, just PM me.

sjones26573 04-04-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCJeep97 (Post 15248290)
Many of us are planning a trip on the 11th of May:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/...-12-a-1504120/

I think we're the "college kid" group he was referring to. :teehee:

No worries though, Allen in our group is older and brings his son.

cj777 04-04-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkow (Post 15248551)
I have a question for those that have been. If i come across an obstacle or something I don't feel comfortable traversing, can I turn around or are there "lanes" within the trails set for easy, medium, hard, etc? I printed a cool trail map from CNC4X4 and from what I've read, I should stay away from Daniel, Dutch John, and Rocky Mount (but its closed per Uwharrie website). On paper, gonna do Falls Dam, Dickey Bell, and Wolf Den. Also should I expect those 3 trails to take a couple hours, all day, 30 mins....sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never been. Are there huge lines waiting to go through stuff?


NCRUBI - I live in Norwood (like 15 mins away) so anytime you wanna go, just PM me.

Uwharrie is really pretty moderate, and there are bypasses around pretty much all of the obstacles. Especially on the trails you listed, you shouldn't have any problems. There are very rarely lines waiting anywhere unless someone is broken down. The only exception is around Kodak Rock, which is currently closed. Feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions about specific trails, etc. I've been going about once a month during the season for the last several years.

sjones26573 04-04-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkow (Post 15248551)
I have a question for those that have been. If i come across an obstacle or something I don't feel comfortable traversing, can I turn around or are there "lanes" within the trails set for easy, medium, hard, etc? I printed a cool trail map from CNC4X4 and from what I've read, I should stay away from Daniel, Dutch John, and Rocky Mount (but its closed per Uwharrie website). On paper, gonna do Falls Dam, Dickey Bell, and Wolf Den. Also should I expect those 3 trails to take a couple hours, all day, 30 mins....sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never been. Are there huge lines waiting to go through stuff?


NCRUBI - I live in Norwood (like 15 mins away) so anytime you wanna go, just PM me.

RML is easy except for Kodak Rock (which is on the closed section) but Kodak has a bypass anyways. Upper Daniel is a cakewalk and is no problem for new guys. Lower Daniel does not have bypasses and should be avoided if not comfortable. Dutch John is also extremely easy with only one steep hillclimb. Any Jeep can climb it no problem. We had a Samurai that couldn't make it due to a lack of power.

If you want to see examples of these trails, most of what you listed is on the GoPro videos I took last weekend, which can be found a page or two from the back of the Jamboree link in my sig VVV.

NCRUBI2012 04-04-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones26573

I think we're the "college kid" group he was referring to. :teehee:

No worries though, Allen in our group is older and brings his son.

Cool. I will plan to join

NCRUBI2012 04-04-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones26573

RML is easy except for Kodak Rock (which is on the closed section) but Kodak has a bypass anyways. Upper Daniel is a cakewalk and is no problem for new guys. Lower Daniel does not have bypasses and should be avoided if not comfortable. Dutch John is also extremely easy with only one steep hillclimb. Any Jeep can climb it no problem. We had a Samurai that couldn't make it due to a lack of power.

If you want to see examples of these trails, most of what you listed is on the GoPro videos I took last weekend, which can be found a page or two from the back of the Jamboree link in my sig VVV.

Your videos rock. Some areas I avoided look pretty easy.

sjones26573 04-04-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRUBI2012 (Post 15248609)
Your videos rock. Some areas I avoided look pretty easy.

Thank you sir. Most of Uwharrie is.

wilkow 04-06-2013 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I went today. Did Wolf Den and Falls Dam. I think before I tackle more I need to ride with someone to get comfortable. It was a beautiful day and had lunch with my fiancée creek side.

greene69 04-07-2013 07:59 AM

Come on out and Me and the college kids, you will enjoy it.

JCJeep97 04-07-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greene69 (Post 15259806)
Come on out and Me and the college kids, you will enjoy it.

Yeah, we've got a pretty good group going now!

wilkow 04-07-2013 10:34 AM

You guys talking about the May trip?


The time now is 01:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.