JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   North Carolina Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/)
-   -   Upstate SC/Southwest NC Wheelin (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/upstate-sc-southwest-nc-wheelin-659055/)

DesertStorm 12-28-2008 01:59 PM

Upstate SC/Southwest NC Wheelin

I have a few known trails I will post up.
Any to add please add.
Any more info just ask and i will inform.

Red Turner Rd, Greenville County-mud road, some hill climbs ,mud terrains any size

Green Rd., Greenville County-mud road, bottomless pits, hills, 33's or larger, pits need 38s or larger

Horsepasture, Pickens County-gravel road with mud sections, easy 31's ats

Gorges, Transylvania county-20 miles of mud, rocks, and river crossings, level 3 trail. 33's mud terrain only recommend l/s or locker in wet weather

Pinnacle Mt, Transylvania county, 10 miles of mud, rock, some pits to the side of road. 31's ats

Camp YMCA/Camp Greenville Greenville/Transylvania County, mud, rock, powerlines, woods, good trail, impassable after 10 miles, huge ravine, need 44s or larger to get through ravine, 31s/33s rest of the way turn around at ravine, trail continues from other side of mountain l/s recommended

Bluff mt NC, madison county, 33's only in wet weather, rocks, rocks, mud, trees, climbs a 4000 ft mountain takes almost all day. Recommend locker or l/s. 4wd needed all the way up in rain, can make it in 2wd if dry and have a locker.

Edge of the World, polk county, havent been there yet, I hear you need 33's and a locker f/r for some of the side trails.

Persimmon ridge rd, Greenville county, gravel road with a side trail only open in hunting season, side trail is mud. need m/ts after rain. stock size ok.

Black95ZJ 01-02-2009 06:33 PM

I know there's some mud up by Catfish Lake (near Jacksonville). We used to take my buddy Brandon's Dakota on 31's up there and get her nice and dirty.

Had to go extract a good friend of mine's YJ out of the Croatan National Forest. Got 'er back in the black stuff and sank it to the bottom of the doors. This is on a Jeep on 35's, so yeah, he was MIRED.

When I think of more, I'll post them. I lived in Jacksonhell for 8 years, more will come to me.

jeepdavetj 01-05-2009 11:58 AM

Don't forget about Glassy Mountain Trail. It runs till you hit the golf course but there are several trails branching off of it on the way up. Just tossing it out there. BTW how often do you run Green Rd. They just built a new bridge but some real estate company bought the land. Think they are going to close it off to the public. Also have heard rumors of Red Turner getting paved. :dunno:

DesertStorm 01-05-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepdavetj (Post 6297224)
Don't forget about Glassy Mountain Trail. It runs till you hit the golf course but there are several trails branching off of it on the way up. Just tossing it out there. BTW how often do you run Green Rd. They just built a new bridge but some real estate company bought the land. Think they are going to close it off to the public. Also have heard rumors of Red Turner getting paved. :dunno:

I went to Green rd about 1 month ago, still open. The hole that has been made by those kids will swallow my Ranger on 38.5s. Too deep to get across unless you got something big. Green road is a state road, they can post the land but not the road.
Red turner got the gravel paved, mud is still there.
I did forget about Glassy trail, but it kinda sux.

jeepdavetj 01-06-2009 06:45 AM

I got stuck on Green a couple years ago in a Pathfinder on 31's in that same hole :rofl: Don't know if you know where Motlow Creek Baptist church is but that where I had to walk too to get a truck to pull me out. 8 miles one way :rofl: Started walking at 1am got there about 6am. Good times, good times.

DesertStorm 01-08-2009 06:04 PM

I live in Lyman, do you ever do any wheelin around here any more? I am going back to the Gorges in April when it re opens, I usually take a couple trucks with me and if u want to go or anyone else locally for that matter just keep in touch with me and I will finalize a date closer to time.

If anyone wants to go with me............
Requirements to go,
Mud Terrains
31's or so
Recommend L/S rear
Recommend tow hooks or recovery points
NO ALCOHOL...
Bring yourselfs some food.
Extra fuel
Prepare for 2-3 ft deep swift water crossings
20 miles in with side trails 10-12 miles long
Main trail takes a good 5 hours to go in and out. So 2.5 hours one way
DNR is talking about opening up more trails this spring.
Mixture of river crossings, deep mud at times, rock, grass, gravel, stumps etc.....

jeepdavetj 01-14-2009 12:25 PM

My little TJ will have fresh 30"s on it soon but doubt it will survive all of that. If I had plates on my XJ this would be fun. :rofl:

rcsutton 01-30-2009 08:06 PM

Gorges, Transylvania county-20 miles of mud, rocks, and river crossings, level 3 trail. 33's mud terrain only recommend l/s or locker in wet weather

Pinnacle Mt, Transylvania county, 10 miles of mud, rock, some pits to the side of road. 31's ats

Where exatly are these places?
I live in Highlands, NC

DesertStorm 01-30-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcsutton (Post 6471197)

Where exatly are these places?
I live in Highlands, NC

Gorges is off HWY 178 near "the wilds" camp. Seasonally opened. BEWARE of the rocks some will bust your diffs. 12-14" tall rocks and the rivers can get up to 3 ft deep after rain/I have crossed at a depth of 24" with my F 150 and it was washing down the crossing.
Pinnacle is off HWY 25 at the NC/SC state line, near a place called Green River Preserve. Road is Just past the camp goes all the way to the DuPont state forest. Can get real sloppy after a couple days of rain. BEWARE of the holes on the sides of the road 1 of them is over 7 ft deep the others will stick anything with less than 36-38's.

mattman320 02-05-2009 08:37 PM

i went up to Red turner a few weeks ago all they did was pave the beginning of the road right when you turn, anfter the first few turns it goes to gravel then back to dirt, they can pave the road all they want, i jsut want the trails. BTW when you turn and go to the trails on the right over the creek, the mud pit that goes through the trail is sketchy, a man cut down some trees and put in the hole, me and a buddy winched a few of em out and tried to make it passable, got stuck reallly bad had nothin at all to winch to got some buddies (or 10) to come up there and help me out, took about 2 hrs to get out of the spot i was in, but word is the man is a yankee and realized that was on his property and he's anal, so keep your eyes out.

SC_Woot 02-10-2009 05:32 PM

Hey I go up to red turner every now and then. Fun place, i've been in the back on one of the trails and played in the mud a bit. Never got the courage to try a hill.

MountainMan864 02-12-2009 07:41 PM

How do you get to red turner rd and green rd? I am only 20 min from greenville. Good ol Sparkle City

SC_Woot 02-14-2009 08:51 PM

Map
If you zoom in all the way at red turner you can see the hills. =D

DesertStorm 02-17-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC_Woot (Post 6551616)
Hey I go up to red turner every now and then. Fun place, i've been in the back on one of the trails and played in the mud a bit. Never got the courage to try a hill.

If its been raining u need to be locked to get up the hill across the creek.
If its dry u can make it with open diffs on mud terrrains. We go up there about every other Friday nite, I try to wait for some rain, so its not too dusty,

mattman320 02-21-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertStorm (Post 6603032)
If its been raining u need to be locked to get up the hill across the creek.
If its dry u can make it with open diffs on mud terrrains. We go up there about every other Friday nite, I try to wait for some rain, so its not too dusty,

i got up th hill after doggin it for a few with open diffs, took a few minutes and a lot of spinnin but t can be done, also my balding tires didn't help much. also a place called hushhole off 25 headed to NC, never been but i have a buddy who has a few times, not sure if its private or just open.

The time now is 05:19 AM.