tellico - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > tellico

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail *VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
txboy72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

tellico

ok so my tellico trip is getting closer sept 12th. anyone been up there recenlty with any tips on trail conditions. i have an 05 unlimited with re 4.5, superwinch, MT 33 with 4.88 fnt and rear.

how do yo uknow how much to deflate your tires also and any tips on the slick rock?

txboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

Slick Rock is closed man... been closed since Jan 1st and probably will never be open. Handful of other trails are closed as well. But incase you meant "slick rock" as in the wet slipper rocks on the trails... Deflate, slow and steady pace and lockers always help.

As far as tires, well some people go as low as 8-10 psi, a lot seem to fall in the 10-15 psi. I always went right around 15 psi with my 35's.
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
txboy72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i was talking about the type of rock known as slick rock. what is the site for the listing of whats open and whats closed?
Unread 08-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txboy72 View Post
yeah i was talking about the type of rock known as slick rock. what is the site for the listing of whats open and whats closed?
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm

With all the rain in the past few days, recent reports will be moot. The trails will be brand new...
Airing-down depends alot on your wheel & tire combo; play with it. With my stupid 18" Sahara wheels, I did better with more air since the tires are fairly low volume; I needed the ride height too.

The top part of 2, most of 8, and all of 7 & 9 are closed.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

here ya go good sir:

Keep in mind, soon they will start paving (yes paving) trail 1. Not sure if it will be the same weekend you are going.
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

That's sure better than me trying to do it from memory...

So they're definately paving #1? Does that mean that it's a through-road now? Like, I can go to the campsites north of there on it and not worry about getting stopped?

Let's go camping up there before they close the whole dang thing, Jeremy.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think it will remain part of the park so now sure what you mean by not getting stopped. It will still cost a fee to camp at Stateline campground. Really I dont know much about the T1 project. I just saw a post on Pirate and one of the guys said regarding someone coming in Sept.

"They may be working on Trail One at that time. They released a Decision Memo this week and stated that work could begin at any time. Work is supposed to include asphalt, widening, removing some cut bank and erosion control measures."
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm talking about using T1 as a pass-through only. Like going up to a campsite on a Friday evening and not paying the $10 until Saturday.
Not sure how frisky the Rangers get about the receipt on the rearview mirror...

Unread 08-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
txboy72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

so even with the current closures, is the park still worth going to?
Unread 08-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think so. GATR just rode up there and they all had a blast.
Unread 08-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
txboy72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

cool, ive been looking at pictures for a while now, got to admit, im kinda intimiated
Unread 08-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
cool, ive been looking at pictures for a while now, got to admit, im kinda intimiated
I got through all of 6 and 4 with a totally stock Sahara on my own. Slowly, very slowly.
It just takes some patience and good decisions; with some practical mods, you can get more adventurous. There are enough other rigs around to bail you out of trouble but it's better to have a good spotter with you and another vehicle.

You'll love it. It's a totally unique place, so much wetter and slipperier than the Rubicon or the trails in Colorado.

Unread 08-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
with your set up (do you have lockers? cant remember) you can do 4, 6, and 5 easy. Like Hill said, slow moving, pick your lines and remember its ok for your skids to hit rocks... You could also do 3 but its kinda boring for me atleast and probably could do what little bit of 8 that is still open.

With lockers, a winch and good driver skills you could do School Bus (trail 12) and do trail 11 with Helicopter and Guard Rail. My friend has done that in his TJ on 33's and he is a damn good driver
Unread 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
txboy72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

no i dont have lockers
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

thats ok. When I had my 2 door JK all i had was 2.5" of lift, 35" tires, and only an LSD in the rear and I did all the trails I listed earlier (4, 5, 6, 8 and 3) and I was new to the whole off road thing and did part of 4, all of 5, and part of 8 at night! Dont think it was easy though, it was the most fun I have ever had in my Jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.