Rubicon Trail August 9th-11th 2014 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Rubicon Trail August 9th-11th 2014

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Count me in. I'm only an hour away.

I just ran the Rubicon last weekend.

Unread 07-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Count me in. I'm only an hour away.

I just ran the Rubicon last weekend.
How long did it take you? Did you run the entire thing? Also can you describe the current trail conditions? There's a lot of mis leading info. floating around about how it's too easy now. Did you run little sluice?
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
143DAD

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in, but why in the middle of the time when I make all my Money to pay for this craziness.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's hard for me to get time of in August, but then there are always sick days.
Dusy and the environs are pretty cool to add to the Rubicon trip. Oh yeah do not let me lead the Rubicon trip, we would be done with the whole trip in less than 8 hours
If we could figure out when the stream at the start of Fordyce is fordable, I would love to do that one also. That's about the funnest trail in North Cali
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 143DAD View Post
I'm in, but why in the middle of the time when I make all my Money to pay for this craziness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Dusy and the environs are pretty cool to add to the Rubicon trip. Oh yeah do not let me lead the Rubicon trip, we would be done with the whole trip in less than 8 hours
If we could figure out when the stream at the start of Fordyce is fordable, I would love to do that one also. That's about the funnest trail in North Cali
The dates are flexible , I can go anytime over the summer .

Whats the ideal time to run the Rubicon ? What would work better for the majority ?
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
As far as Fordyce and the water level goes, I know they lower the level wayyy down for the Sierra Trek Cal4Wheel event. Not sure about the weeks prior or following though.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
How long did it take you? Did you run the entire thing? Also can you describe the current trail conditions? There's a lot of mis leading info. floating around about how it's too easy now. Did you run little sluice?
We started on the tahoe city side at about 8 am, then got to the AJC camp at 9 pm. From camp out if about 3 hours. So roughly 14 hours to do the trail. We didn't speed through, stopped for a bit at the damn and swam/lunch.

Honestly, the trail wasn't hard. I did it last year open front and rear on 35s. If you have at least the rear locked, you shouldn't have a problem.

Little sluice has way less large boulders than last year, must have been then they cleared up the trail a little. A geo tracker, linked with stock axles and maybe 33s made it. And she had a small child in the back.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #23
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sub'd to keep tabs on this. would love to make it but that's a long way off still
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #24
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Don't know if I can, but I want to follow this one. Always wanted to do the rubicon and my LJ is ready to hit some trails. ..... Also, never been to California.

I would probably ship my jeep out, fly out and drive back leisurely. 2000 miles each way from the house.
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

Its only about 50 miles from my house to the loon lake entrance :-)
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc
Honestly, the trail wasn't hard.
This makes me sad
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #27
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
This makes me sad
Ditto. The more I hear this same thing from other people, the less interested I get in running the Rubicon & the more interested I get in running trails like the Dusy & Fordyce that Art mentioned.

I highly doubt I'll be able to make this trip, but going to follow along for ****s & grins.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
This makes me sad
I agree...but this one is about the experience for me, not the difficulty.
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

The scenic side of the trip was stunning as always. Huge overlooks and some awesome lakes.

Here's to the left of little sluice.

Soup bowl.

Cadillac hill.

Unread 07-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #30
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The trail is far easier than it used to be but the area is incredibly beautiful, I will be joining you guys for sure the trail is close to me. I would be game for doing Fordyce or Dusy Ershim on the same trip if there are peoples driving/flying out that want to do more than just the Rubicon, maybe it will attract more rigs. Personally I think Ershim has some of the most incredible scenery of any trail on the planet and it is the only jeep trail that runs through the wilderness and has some challenging terrain.

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.