Planning trip to OBX, NC. anyone know the area? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Planning trip to OBX, NC. anyone know the area?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Planning trip to OBX, NC. anyone know the area?

I have vacation planned for the outer banks in June. My project vehicle should be done by then and I would LOVE to be able to do a photoshoot on the beach or dunes.

Can anyone tell me where (if it all) driving on the beach is legal?

I'm not looking to run the dunes or anything, just a stroll and photo-op.

Thanks.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The dunes are off limits.
And this site should help a little: http://www.outer-banks.nc.us/newsinfo/randr.htm

I go out there every year, but haven't taken it to the beach yet. I can't get past the sand in moving parts / saltwater fears. (Once I pay it off that will change)
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i've gone out there the past 3 summers, with the sole purpose of spending the week at the beach and driving on the beach, i cant wait to go out there this summer because i havent had my tj there yet and im gonna hopefully take it this summer
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

these links might help you, not sure...

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32940

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35543
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
MLC#3 97TJ

We usually vacation up in Corolla, and this past summer was the first with the TJ. Route 12, just north of Corolla, the pavement ends and you are permitted to drive on the beach all the way to the Va state line (something like 12 or 15 miles).

I recommend going early morning before all the beach goers get there. By 11:00 o'clock the beach road will have quite a bit of traffic plus there are many people on the beach and you have to be aware of kids and adults crossing.

Have fun!
MLC#3 97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
IN2000WJ
1997 ZJ 

I'm not sure which part of the OBX you are looking to stay in, but we have made it to Buxton for the last 3 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a great, laid back environment where shirts and shoes are always optional. There is a great fishing area and you can actually drive on a large portion of the beaches in this area. We are taking the WJ this year and plan on driving to the tip of the island to the spot of shifting sands. The ferry to Okracoke Island is a fun trip too!
IN2000WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #7
HWY12XJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

What part of the OBX are you going to be staying in?

Nags Head = no driving on the beach.

Take HWY 12 south to Hatteras, and the first beach access is going to be at Oregon Inlet. Decent fishing if you go all the way to the point at the bridge (turn right when you get on the beach), but usually crowded.

Keep going south, and you'll go across the Herbert C. Bonner bridge. After the bridge, the first few (5-7 miles) are the Pea Island National Refuge. No driving on the beach.

Keep going past that, and every few miles you'll pass beach access ramps to the left, and soundside ORV trails on the right. There's also a few down on the point by the lighthouse, but usually pretty crowded on the weekends.

I usually stay in Frisco, at Frisco Woods Campground, and head out at the ramp right down the road (49 if I remember right, I don't even pay attention anymore), right across from Frisco Rod & Tackle. Nice campground, reasonable rates, and friendly people.

Some tips for you from me:

-No driving on the dunes. Period. They're serious about it, and you should be too. Without those dunes, Hatteras Island wouldn't be there.
-Some ramps don't have through access to the next ramp.
-Watch the tide line on the beach. If you go out at low tide, and go past a part of the beach that's completely covered at high tide, with no access to the next ramp, you're stuck. You'll have to wait it out until low tide again. Trust me, it sucks.
-You now have to have a fishing permit. They sell 5 day permits, and year long permits.
-Beware of strong currents... this isn't Myrtle/Daytone Beach. The water's completely different here. You can get washed out in a hurry. Again, trust me, it sucks.

I think that's it... for now. Seriously, if you have any more questions, post up or shoot me a PM. As you can tell, I've been there once or 430982 times. Hope to help! You'll love it down there!
[SIZE="1"][u]Updated 5/11/08[/u]
[/size]
HWY12XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thank you everyone, I'll be sure to check back with you as the trip approaches!

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
basstardo

You may want to check in the Envirobeat forum. They may be closing the beaches down in the next month based on a pending court case. Many people I know have already modified their vacation plans because of the impact of the case and the potential closures. I've heard people say it for years that they'd never close the beaches, and I've said it myself, but it's no joke this time. We might be losing access for a very very long time if not permanently. I surf fish down there all the time, and it's a wonderful place. I sincerely hope you're able to experience it.
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
20sNaRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstardo View Post
You may want to check in the Envirobeat forum. They may be closing the beaches down in the next month based on a pending court case. Many people I know have already modified their vacation plans because of the impact of the case and the potential closures. I've heard people say it for years that they'd never close the beaches, and I've said it myself, but it's no joke this time. We might be losing access for a very very long time if not permanently. I surf fish down there all the time, and it's a wonderful place. I sincerely hope you're able to experience it.
O man. . .no way!?!? what kind of case is it?
20sNaRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
basstardo

It's an injuction to stop beach driving for 3 years at Hatteras Spit, The Point, South Beach, Oregon Inlet, all of Ocracoke, and Hatteras Inlet. Basically all of the best fishing spots in the seashore. It looks like they're going to get it, too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.