Old Toll Road Caravan - Montreat, NC to Mt. Mitchell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Old Toll Road Caravan - Montreat, NC to Mt. Mitchell

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
JDJORGEN
1974 CJ5 

Old Toll Road Caravan - Montreat, NC to Mt. Mitchell

Hey guys (and gals) I just wanted to share this event with ya'll. It's not till october but the more early signups they have the more money they can raise. I've always wanted to do this but my jeep has always either been down at the time or I had to work I'm definitely not going to miss it this year though.

This is a huge fundraiser for the Swannanoa Valley Museum based in BLack Mountain, NC. So ya'll know this is the only time that this road is open for use, so this is a pretty need thing if you've ever wanted to do it.

From the Swannanoa Valley Museum's Facebook Page for this event:

Join us for this popular 4-wheel drive caravan up the historic Old Toll Road to Camp Alice on Mt Mitchell. Parts of the trip are on the old Mt Mitchell R R bed. It is very rough hence the four wheel drive vehicles. We will make several stops for historical presentations and arrive at Camp Alice for a late lunch. This is a fund raiser for the museum.

Details: Meet at 7:30 am in parking lot of Black Mountain Savings Bank, 200 E. State St. Drinks, snacks and lunch are provided, and there is historical interpretation throughout the trip. Lunch will be at the old Camp Alice lumbering camp.

Drivers with high-clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles who will carry 3 passengers are free. Cost is $75 for Museum members; $100 for non-members. Reservations are required. To register please call 669-9566 or email info@swannanoavalleymuseum.org.

*edit*

The date for it this year is Saturday October 1st (1/10/11)

"Sometimes the road less traveled isn't a road."

Last edited by JDJORGEN; 02-24-2011 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Add date
JDJORGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
dcain
2008 JK Wrangler 

This looks like fun. We have a group that is thinking about making this trip.
I have a couple of questions.

How long should this trip take?

Could you please clarify the pricing of the trip. For instance if myself and my wife go, would it be 200 for the both of us?

Are you asking for open seats to carry passengers? Maybe that is where the driver is free if you carry 3 passengers, what if you are able to carry 2?

Thanks for posting this up, looks like it could be a good time.
dcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
JDJORGEN
1974 CJ5 

I'm just posting this on the behalf of the museum, if you would like more detailed information you should email them at the address listed above. :-)

Unread 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

Guess we will shoot them an email and try to decipher how they are working the passenger thing. I normally go in places like that with the back seat out, but I guess I could throw it in for this event.
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
JDJORGEN
1974 CJ5 

Yeah sorry I'm not more help, never done the event before. I'll work on getting more info to put on here though...

Unread 02-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ8Extreme View Post
I normally go in places like that with the back seat out, but I guess I could throw it in for this event.
And I don't like people I don't know behind me.

I guess I can trace that back to my time in prison.
GotLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
JDJORGEN
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLime

And I don't like people I don't know behind me.

I guess I can trace that back to my time in prison.
*facepalm*

Unread 02-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
burger3026
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can haul 30 in the deuce that means I will make like a $1000 bucks. haha
burger3026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
dcain
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got this email back from them.

Thanks for the inquiry. I have listed the trip information below this
email. It starts about 7:30 am and will end around 3:30 pm, with lunch
included. If you have a high-clearance, 4WD vehicle and drive, you
would be free. Your wife (passenger 1) would pay $100 as would the
other two passengers you have with you. If you would like to drive,
please let me know what type of vehicle you have as our trip leader
must approve it for travel on the toll road. (It is very steep and
very rough in places.)

Anne
dcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for posting that Daniel.

It seems like a cool thing to do but maybe a little pricey for me. If I wanted to bring the girlfriend and my 2 kids it sounds like it would cost me $300 for the day.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would totally drive up there for this event, but I am not paying $100 for my girlfriend to ride in MY JEEP, when I am letting 2 others ride in MY JEEP and not making a dime off of it. I understand the proceeds going to the museum and I am all about that. But if they are making $200 off of me using a vehicle and fuel I paid for, I would not pay the $100 for my own passenger. However, I would have no problem paying $100 for my girlfriend if she was the only passenger.

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #12
JDJORGEN
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrailratedJ View Post
I would totally drive up there for this event, but I am not paying $100 for my girlfriend to ride in MY JEEP, when I am letting 2 others ride in MY JEEP and not making a dime off of it. I understand the proceeds going to the museum and I am all about that. But if they are making $200 off of me using a vehicle and fuel I paid for, I would not pay the $100 for my own passenger. However, I would have no problem paying $100 for my girlfriend if she was the only passenger.
No one is making you do it...

Unread 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJORGEN View Post
No one is making you do it...
You could just take it as constructive criticism and pass it on to those promoting the event.

We have a group with 5 or 6 rigs that I wheel with. I could see us doing this if it was priced reasonably. I won't speak for the others, but I can't imagine any of us will do it at this price. There may be others out there who share this viewpoint.

If you can get 6 people at $100 a head or $20 people at $50 a head, which would you prefer?

Chris
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
bsutton
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLime View Post
You could just take it as constructive criticism and pass it on to those promoting the event.

We have a group with 5 or 6 rigs that I wheel with. I could see us doing this if it was priced reasonably. I won't speak for the others, but I can't imagine any of us will do it at this price. There may be others out there who share this viewpoint.

If you can get 6 people at $100 a head or $20 people at $50 a head, which would you prefer?

Chris
i agree with Chris..i would love to go and take my family, but i'm in the same boat as GotLime is...$300. for my wife and 2 kids to go is way too $$$$. i would be willing to pony up for the museum, but that's expensive. We could make a club run out of it, but i'd have a hard time selling the cost..
brian
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Please do not take my previous post the wrong way. I love history and wheeling, this would be a awesome opportunity to see a trail that most won't be able too while learning about the area at the same time. This is an amazing area, where I have hiked hundreds of miles in my lifetime. Now, that I live in Florida, it would be more of a trip to do this. Having to pony up an extra $100 for my girlfriend to come along is a bit rediculous. I may call the museum when the time gets closer, but having an extra vehicle to make an extra $200 for the museum is better than not having my vehicle and not making that $200. Maybe I'm being stubborn here, but even without having to pay for my girlfriend, the museum is still making some money...I'd even bring our own lunch...

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.