OBX Beach Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > OBX Beach Trip

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
EMoney2413

OBX Beach Trip

Good afternoon,

Have had my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee for about a month now. Was wondering if there is anything I should do to the car before taking it on the beach in Carolla? Any precautions and/or recommendations would be very helpful.

Sorry for the novice questions, but I am a new Jeep owner and want to make sure I take proper car of the car.

Thanks in advance!

EMoney2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
UNCjeepWK2
2011 WK 

I took my '11 WK2 (4x4, Hemi) out on the Ocracoke beaches back around New Years. Had no problems whatsoever... and did NOT lower my psi. I know most recommend it... but I just didn't want to fool w/ it and had no problems. Didn't really use the sand setting (in case you have the Select-terrain)... and DON'T use the sand setting on the low-tide/hard-packed sand... you'll drive faster on that than is meant for sand setting.

Also... take a tow strap (if you have front hooks or tow package) in case you run into some unknowing tourists thinking they can drive their Crown Vic out on the beach. They can't... and they'll find out quickly. And they'll need help.

When we were out at Ocracoke, we ran into a Michigander in a Chrysler 200... stuck. Pulled him out. He was very grateful.
UNCjeepWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
ImportInvasion
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Beach driving is a lot of fun, BUT I would definately lower my tire pressure. I noticed that whenever I take my TJ onto the sand, if I dont drop tire pressure, and use a low gear my transmission will heat up more. Granted, I have an auto, the manual guys dont have to worry about such things, but heat kills trannies. Why strain the jeep more than it has too? Plus, its real easy to get stuck on the beach, even with a Jeep. Ask me how I know?
ImportInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've driven out on the beach over 100 times. My best suggestion is to have a strap in case you get stuck, and to just be smart. Most of the time being smart will keep you from getting stuck. I will highly suggest you give it a nice long bath after you go play. Salt air and water will kill a vehicle. Other then that, bring a chair, a cooler and have a good time. Bring a cell phone, but when you get parked, turn it off and enjoy the beauty of the OBX.
Red Jeep Club #656
Steel4Pens is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.