NC vehicle inspection and tax? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > NC vehicle inspection and tax?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
cgiesey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

NC vehicle inspection and tax?

Does anyone have info on what the NC vehicle inspection consists of and what the yearly vehicle tax is? I just moved here in September and am unfamiliar with these practices. I'm wondering if my Jeep will pass inspection, as it doesn't have a muffler. Just pipe from the CC back. It was like this when I purchased it (in NC btw).

cgiesey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

it may pass, it may not, depending on where you take it. Take it to a Mr. Inspection, or some place that only does inspections, and doesn't sell anything besides lightbulbs and wipers.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
cgiesey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip! That makes sense.
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Just FYI. NC vehicle inspections require that a vehicle be fitted with a muffler and the tailpipe should exit beyond the passenger compartment. Vehicle tax is treated like property tax, the state set a value and you pay the tax on that value, every year. As vehicles get older the tax drops. GF's Honda, 400+ a year. My jeep, 34 bucks a year.
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It also depends on the year of your Jeep. NC only requires a safety inspection on vehicles 1995 or older. This might help..... http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/reg...on/inspection/
Red Jeep Club #656
Steel4Pens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Safety inspections include all emissions control devices that the vehicle was originally equipped with, they must be installed, intact and appear to be in good working condition. Tires, wipers, horns, exhaust pipes, lights, high beam indicator, turn signal indicators, headlight aim....yadda yadda......

Just retired from wrenching, was a NC state inspector for almost 15 years, and an inspector in NY and RI for several more.
That being said, there are places out there that slide cars through.......these places days are numbered, the state is cracking down, fines for violations are going up, and the state is tracking down vehicles and their owners if an inspection appears to be suspicious and/or flags in the computer system.
Best way is to get your vehicle inspected legitimately, if the state suspect you to be guilty of trying to beat the system, they can suspend your registration.
Just an FYI.
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
cgiesey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Looks like a new exhaust is next on my list! My inspection isn't due until November, I'm definitely not trying to beat the system, the Jeep was like this when I bought it in December. So my next question is, does a used car dealership have to get a vehicle inspected before they sell it? I've had some issues with the dealership already so I wouldn't be surprised if they passed it just to save some money.
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I dont think dealerships don't have to get them inspected unless it runs out while the vehicle is on the lot. The previous owner might have got it inspected but I highly doubt he would have paid to get it inspected when he was agout to get rid of it.
Red Jeep Club #656
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
CBTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes...dealerships do have to do inspections BEFORE they sell a vehicle!
CBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
cgiesey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So they knew ahead of time that this vehicle wouldn't pass an inspection.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
CBTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like they may have had someone do a less than thorough inspection. It has to pass an inspection before it can be licensed to a new owner
CBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Yes, they do have to have them inspected, but there are shops out there that turn a blind eye to dealers who do a lot of business with them. Sucks to be those shops, because when the state catches up with them, and they will, the dealer will just shrug and say, "we didn't know, we just dropped them off and they passed" The shop will take a huge hit, financially(trust me, I got fined for an inspection I screwed up, cost me a whole paycheck) The tech will take a huge hit, and if enough bad stuff shows up, they will lose their license to inspect, and this can put a shop out of business, inspections and the related business they bring in can be a large part of a shops income.
People that are in your position now will eventually start complaining, and the snowball effect takes over...

Word to the wise: Do your buddy down at the local inspection place a favor, don't even ask him to break the rules....it's a good way to lose a friend.

That being said, a local shop just failed one of my customers for a fog light that was out........fog lights aren't considered part of the state inspection, he's filling a complaint. The shop will probably be fined, and the tech will probably get a 300 dollar fine for "improper inspection"
All that because they tried to squeak some guy for a 20 dollar bulb.
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTJ View Post
Yes...dealerships do have to do inspections BEFORE they sell a vehicle!
Did not know that. Now I do, I always check everything on my Jeep before I take it in to get inspected anyway. I would be ticked if I failed an inspection due to a $1.00 bulb being out.
Red Jeep Club #656

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.