NC Trails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > NC Trails

ECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGSSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
BigRay

NC Trails

Anyone know of trails around Charlotte, NC?

BigRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
ADay73
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yes....I too would like to know this....I have a brand new TJ Rubicon and it is a virgin to offroad....HELP please!!!
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
ADay73
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No one ride offroad in NC at all?
Unread 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

URE in Troy, NC, Tellico on the border of NC and TN, Callantee in VA.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
ncjeepinyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticrombie
URE in Troy, NC, Tellico on the border of NC and TN, Callantee in VA.
Yep thats about it. Nothing legal that i know of in Charlotte.
Unread 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Visit some bordering cities around Charlotte that aren't as populated (aka where there is undeveloped land). Ask the city planners (or transportation development) there for a list of their class VI roads and which ones are off limits. Find the entrances for the ones that aren't off limits and stay away from any that are posted or gated. Explore the other ones and see if you find any fun obstacles. www.treadlightly.com

If you ever come by wilmington give me a pm before you do. I'll show you some completely legal fun out here.

Tellico and URE are great places to play but require a bit of traveling.
JeepMKcomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Gulchesorvpark.com is in Laurens SC. Its not too far fron Charlotte and is a great place to ride.

Their is a not-so-offroad trail called the horsepasture trail that overlooks Lake Jocassee in upstate SC. Its not very tough riding but its very scenic and a goodday trip.
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jeeptillidie,

Can you give a little more detail on Horse Pasture? I've had several people tell me to go up there.

GCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
speedy73

Check out this link.

http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/magazine/...mpoffrock.html

It tells a little bit about the area and how to get there. I highly recommend it. Most can be done in 2wd but there is a few steep hills and a small creek crossing that you may want to use 4wd in.
speedy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptillidie
Gulchesorvpark.com is in Laurens SC. Its not too far fron Charlotte and is a great place to ride.

Their is a not-so-offroad trail called the horsepasture trail that overlooks Lake Jocassee in upstate SC. Its not very tough riding but its very scenic and a goodday trip.
Dude, we need to hit the horse trail sometime.
Unread 10-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #11
GCJoe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy73
Check out this link.

http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/magazine/...mpoffrock.html

It tells a little bit about the area and how to get there. I highly recommend it. Most can be done in 2wd but there is a few steep hills and a small creek crossing that you may want to use 4wd in.

Thanks for the info speedy.
GCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay73
No one ride offroad in NC at all?
Sure. Lots. Check out NC4x4.com for some upcoming rides and events. There's a big event this weekend at "The Farm", which is private land near Lincolnton. There's always Tellico and Uwharrie. Callalentee is in Mtn City, TN.
Unread 10-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-jeep0190
Dude, we need to hit the horse trail sometime.

Ill be completely honest with you. That trail is really nothing more than a gravel road that rides across the top of the mountains. It has a couple of really nice overlooks but as far as wheeling goes I could make it through 95% of it with my girlfriends Jetta. We need to get to Gulches. That place is awesome.
Unread 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCJoe
Jeeptillidie,

Can you give a little more detail on Horse Pasture? I've had several people tell me to go up there.

As far as details I think back in years past before I made it up there it was pretty much a very primitive mountain road with a few rocks and maybe some challenges here and there but by the time I made it up there it was nothing more than a gravel road for 95% of the way. Granted their are a couple of spots where you can look down on Lake Jocassee that are absolutely beautiful but as far as wheeling is concerned the only spot that was even a small challenge was about the last half of a mile that lead you down the mountain to where you could get in the lake and swim. And even when I was there they had heavy equipment out there that was working the dirt so I can only suspect that even that part is probably graveled now. I do remember one shallow water crossing and a couple of rocks but nothing was impassible by a yugo. I would recommend the trail to a person that is brand new to wheeling and just wants to go out and figure out how everything works and how a Jeep handles in an "off-road" situation. IMO the trail is very useful for that.
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #15
Mud Pilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well the only place that i know of is uhwarrie but that's a good distance from charlotte, Didn't realize there was this many wheelers in NC
Mud Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.