The NC Guys Chat Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > The NC Guys Chat Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #76
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a big top gear fan too, but the american one is aweful. Ya'll ever watched Are You Faster Than A Redneck?

greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #77
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Random question, looking to upgrade control arms, found all 4 RC x-flex front arms(uppers and lowers) on nc4x4 with 3k miles in good shape for 260. New from RC they are 350 for all 4. Worth it or not? I offered 200 but he said he's not negotiable, I'm still going to try to get him down, really dont want to go over $230. What you guys think? I just installed RC rear uppers when i did the SYE and got lowers from a friend's XJ to install for rear lowers. I know people say RC arms aren't any good having only one flex joint but I dont really wheel enough to justify spending the money it costs for double flex joints. Just want ones that will flex as good or better than stock arms, and beefy enough to not get bent by just looking at a rock and hopefully adjustable to adjust wheelbase / axle position slightly.

So thoughts... yes or no?
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #78
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

RC arms are crap because they wear out fast, not because they only have 1 flex joint.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #79
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbro's View Post
I offered 200 but he said he's not negotiable
i normaly return a "non negotionable" message with a message similiar to.. "once you realize no one is going to buy them i will take them for ___(10% less than my original offer)"

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #80
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof

i normaly return a "non negotionable" message with a message similiar to.. "once you realize no one is going to buy them i will take them for ___(10% less than my original offer)"
Burn

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #81
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
RC arms are crap because they wear out fast, not because they only have 1 flex joint.
Which bushings? in the flex joint? the other end is a clevite rubber bushing that seems like any other one I've seen and just as good.

And my thoughts were to eventually replace flex joints if/when they wear out with the metal cloak ones since they seem to be pretty good joints

BTW my jeep had skyjacker fixed length lowers on it when I got it with poly bushings, now those were crap. I upgraded back to stock arms from them...
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #82
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you give me the money I'll buy myself metalcloak arms and let you look at them maybe

Unread 05-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #83
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Which bushings? in the flex joint? the other end is a clevite rubber bushing that seems like any other one I've seen and just as good.

And my thoughts were to eventually replace flex joints if/when they wear out with the metal cloak ones since they seem to be pretty good joints
Their flex joints are crap. I know from personal experience. Might as well spend a little more and get good arms.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #84
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
If you give me the money I'll buy myself metalcloak arms and let you look at them maybe

That makes no sense... even as some attempt at a joke to what i'm asking about

Quote:
Their flex joints are crap. I know from personal experience. Might as well spend a little more and get good arms.
I obviously dont have experience yet with the flex joints since I havent ran them much at all so I can't say what value they are worht, but the way I see it is, the 1 set of xflex lowers I've got right now I paid $100 for, and if I buy metal cloak joints/bushings they are $20 a peice so I'll have $140 in a set with decent flex joints, rather than spending 270 per set from metal cloak or more for johnny joint arms.
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #85
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #86
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That makes no sense... even as some attempt at a joke to what i'm asking about

I obviously dont have experience yet with the flex joints since I havent ran them much at all so I can't say what value they are worht, but the way I see it is, the 1 set of xflex lowers I've got right now I paid $100 for, and if I buy metal cloak joints/bushings they are $20 a peice so I'll have $140 in a set with decent flex joints, rather than spending 270 per set from metal cloak or more for johnny joint arms.
Duroflex joints are $60 a piece, not $20. The $20 kit only works with johnny joints. That means you'd have $220 invested in them, not $140. I tried to be cheap at first and soon regretted it. Don't make that mistake.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #87
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Duroflex joints are $60 a piece, not $20. The $20 kit only works with johnny joints. That means you'd have $220 invested in them, not $140. I tried to be cheap at first and soon regretted it. Don't make that mistake.
I was about to say, find me them $20 duros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #88
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why wont it work on the x flex , assuming its the same size ? Only difference I see is the duroflex / johnny joint use a snap ring and washer on both sides, and the x flex uses a threaded washer/ ring on one side but snap ring on the other. Why couldn't it be assembled with the duroflex joint but use the threaded ring on the side with threads?
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #89
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why wont it work on the x flex , assuming its the same size ? Only difference I see is the duroflex / johnny joint use a snap ring and washer on both sides, and the x flex uses a threaded washer/ ring on one side but snap ring on the other. Why couldn't it be assembled with the duroflex joint but use the threaded ring on the side with threads?
Because the housing is a different size. If you try it you'll get a bunch of play in it that would be worse than the original x flex joints. Believe me or not, it won't work and it's a bad idea. Plus, that kit only works on the lower control arms. Seriously dude, just buy the quality arms to begin with. I thought exactly as you are right now 2 years ago, that I could buy the cheap arms and upgrade the bushings later and have a decent setup. Guess what arms I run now. I'll give you a hint, they aren't made by Rough Country. When you read on these forums that you shouldnt buy cheap arms because they don't last, that isn't bias, it is fact. I didnt believe them then, but I sure do now.

Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #90
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Because the housing is a different size. If you try it you'll get a bunch of play in it that would be worse than the original x flex joints. Believe me or not, it won't work and it's a bad idea. Plus, that kit only works on the lower control arms. Seriously dude, just buy the quality arms to begin with. I thought exactly as you are right now 2 years ago, that I could buy the cheap arms and upgrade the bushings later and have a decent setup. Guess what arms I run now. I'll give you a hint, they aren't made by Rough Country. When you read on these forums that you shouldnt buy cheap arms because they don't last, that isn't bias, it is fact. I didnt believe them then, but I sure do now.

Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
Well damn. Well that's why asked, looking at pics it makes you think they could be swapped but it's good to hear first hand that they are different sizes and that it has been tried but unfortunately doesn't work. I think I'll just wait to find something better, and just run the ones I already have for now until there is something better

Tags
badasses , nc guys , tyvanwie is a derp , tyvanwie is a sellout , who is ron?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.