The NC Guys Chat Thread - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > The NC Guys Chat Thread

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 05-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #196
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All of the places.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #197
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Heading back to NC today, check in from leave tomorrow. Ugh, back to work I guess

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #198
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Word

Unread 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #199
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got a real job!! Maybe this college degree is actually useful!!

Oh and along with the job came an almost new f150 company truck, which means I've got a designated DD and could feasibly do anything I wanted to the JEEP... But I wont because I like driving it on the road, but I will be getting some good adjustable control arms all around, belly up, DIY gas tank lift and hopefully in the next year or so start the 5.3L V8 swap that I've always wanted
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #200
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What kinda job?

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #201
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've never desired to have a V8 in my Jeep. A B3.3 4cyl diesel would be though.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #202
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Working for an engineer/construction company that is contracted for the DOT. Basically working for the DOT but not employed by them. Job title is CEI Inspector, not 100% sure what it stands for though. Basically I'll be the DOT representative on some bridge project making sure that the General Contractor is building the bridge to spec, which includes inspecting materials delivered, inspecting concrete for quality and inspecting their work for compliance with specs among many other things.

I'll be starting somewhere around Reidsville NC and working anywhere from there down to Greensboro
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #203
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I've never desired to have a V8 in my Jeep. A B3.3 4cyl diesel would be though.
Diesel would be sweet for sure, good mpg's and probably really nice torque, but growing up around muscle cars I just love V8's just for the pure fun. But Not going to lie, driving some chipped and built diesel trucks is pretty freakin sweet, just feeling gobs of torque when the turbo spools is an awesome experience. But for the jeep, I think I would personally have more fun with a V8. And it wont need a whole lot of drive-train upgrades to run a 5.3, my trans and axles are good enough to drive easy on it and upgrade if/when things grenade!
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #204
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbro's View Post
Diesel would be sweet for sure, good mpg's and probably really nice torque, but growing up around muscle cars I just love V8's just for the pure fun. But Not going to lie, driving some chipped and built diesel trucks is pretty freakin sweet, just feeling gobs of torque when the turbo spools is an awesome experience. But for the jeep, I think I would personally have more fun with a V8. And it wont need a whole lot of drive-train upgrades to run a 5.3, my trans and axles are good enough to drive easy on it and upgrade if/when things grenade!
Dont get me wrong, a V8 would be ****ing sweet! I'm not knocking on them in any way, I've just always loved diesels and would love to have one in my LJ. Unfortunately, I dont know squat about motors and I would rather spend my money towards suspension/axles right now. Once I get my new axles/suspension done a new engine might be next.
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #205
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't people put 4BTs is jeeps? I'm not good at engines so don't laugh if that's wrong lol. I thought I remember something about imped having one? Maybe?

Unread 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #206
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Dont get me wrong, a V8 would be ****ing sweet! I'm not knocking on them in any way, I've just always loved diesels and would love to have one in my LJ. Unfortunately, I dont know squat about motors and I would rather spend my money towards suspension/axles right now. Once I get my new axles/suspension done a new engine might be next.
I understand, I think a motor swap and suspension building depends a lot on how you want to use the jeep. For me I don't wheel enough or anywhere hardcore enough to need to build something with different geometry than stock. I do plan to have good arms with good joints to allow me to have the best I can from stock mounts but I realistically dont see it ever going further than that. And since 'stock' suspension performs good enough to me, I can chose to spend money on a motor the performs better, or at least makes it more enjoyable for me on the road most of the time and on the trails.
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #207
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Haven't people put 4BTs is jeeps? I'm not good at engines so don't laugh if that's wrong lol. I thought I remember something about imped having one? Maybe?

A 4BT is a crappy choice for a 4cyl diesel IMO. They weigh twice as much as the stock 4.0L. A Cummins B3.3 is a much better choice. It has similar horsepower and torque as the 4BT, but is only like 30 lbs heavier than the 4.0.

No, Imped does not have a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbro's View Post
I understand, I think a motor swap and suspension building depends a lot on how you want to use the jeep. For me I don't wheel enough or anywhere hardcore enough to need to build something with different geometry than stock. I do plan to have good arms with good joints to allow me to have the best I can from stock mounts but I realistically dont see it ever going further than that. And since 'stock' suspension performs good enough to me, I can chose to spend money on a motor the performs better, or at least makes it more enjoyable for me on the road most of the time and on the trails.
Exactly, it all comes down to how you want to use it. I care more about the wheeling part so my primary focus is spent on that aspect.
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #208
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

In the past few weeks (after driving the YJ with a manifold leak) I've been thinking how awesome a Diesel swap would be. Originally planned on a Supercharged 4.6 but I'm leaning towards a Cummins now. I suspect once I get my driveline and armor finished (whenever that'll be) that the saving will begin.

And like Jake said, 4BT's are just too damn heavy.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #209
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

sooo, I was so excited coming back home and to my jeep that I ignored the 95 degree day that my jeep had been sitting in. well I jumped in and cranked it up to make sure the battery was good and everything. well, like a cool guy walking away from an explosion I had looked over my shoulder to see smoke followed by a loud pop.... the old belt had heated up so much that it broke and now I am sad.

this weekend i'll fix that and my brake cylinder.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #210
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid

A 4BT is a crappy choice for a 4cyl diesel IMO. They weigh twice as much as the stock 4.0L. A Cummins B3.3 is a much better choice. It has similar horsepower and torque as the 4BT, but is only like 30 lbs heavier than the 4.0.

No, Imped does not have a diesel.
Ah. Okay thanks makes sense now

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.