NC door laws - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > NC door laws

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
fdkss03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

NC door laws

Just got to obx. What are the door laws here? Sorry didn't search on blackberry. Thanks all

Element Offroad/MD Jeeps
fdkss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

i took my jeep to myrtle beach and had no problems with the law about driving around doorless.
MudDuck99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
YJPirate
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can ride no doors but your supposed to have one mirror on either side of the jeep. I ride mine around town without doors or mirrors all the time. I was out on the OBX for a week without doors or mirrors and never had a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDuck99 View Post
i took my jeep to myrtle beach and had no problems with the law about driving around doorless.
Myrtle Beach is SC btw.
YJPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Door laws? What door laws? I see guys running Cherokees without doors in Greenville! You just have to have 2 rear view mirrors. So one on the windshield and one on the driver's door will work just fine (that's how I normally run my Jeep.)

You'll be just fine in the Outer Banks doorless.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
BGoins

I was down last week and didn't have a problem without mirrors. Like mentioned above to be legal you need to have one on your drive side but I passed cops on the beach without anything being said.
BGoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJPirate View Post
You can ride no doors but your supposed to have one mirror on either side of the jeep. I ride mine around town without doors or mirrors all the time. I was out on the OBX for a week without doors or mirrors and never had a problem.

Myrtle Beach is SC btw.
damnit...i fail my bad guys.
MudDuck99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
TheTruckGuy

My concern is about mirrors..

I drive without doors all the time in Charlotte, NC.. So does my neighbor.. never had a problem for the doors.. Since I moved here only a few months ago and am still slow on directions.. I've stopped and asked directions with many cops while being doorless and never had anyone question me..

Now.. my neighbor has side mirros and I dont.. Like I said I havent been stopped for doors/mirrors but am yet to findout about side mirror requirement.. if it says NO NEED.. then I'd like to print it and keep it in the Jeep to educate a cop who doesnt know..

Oh Btw.. I got those $ blindspot mirrors from Walmart and stuck them on either side vents.. I wonder if thats good enough for mirror requirement..

Any cops here?? who can give us some info?
TheTruckGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

You are supposed to have 2 rear facing mirrors. One is usually mounted on your windshield, and the other should be on the driver's side. The cops probably don't hassle you because it doesn't immediately register in their head that you don't have a mirror, in other words, they aren't looking to give you a ticket.
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am dooless all the time and never have mirrors and never been stopped. Hell i was wrecked into once in my yj and the cops came and everything and none of them even noticed no mirrors or doors on my jeep. And i spent a week at the obx and drove around all over the place an not once did i have side mirrors. Its totally fine
Unread 09-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #10
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Normally NC cops don't worry about having that second mirror, but in these tough times where everyone is trying to figure out how to fill in the gaps in gov't funding....

I got some cheap harley mirrors and use those. I like them. Regarding the blind spot mirrors.. I believe the law states that you must be able to see X feet behind.. blah blah, so I doubt those would be considered legal.

(anyone interested in Harley mirrors, I suggest the long stem. My short stem works for the drivers side, but can't see the passenger side)
Unread 09-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
mottern
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I live next to a cop and I was worried about the same thing, so I asked him and he said that he wouldnt pull anyone over for it and most of his buddies wouldnt but there is always that one a**hole cop that might be havin a bad day "His words"
Unread 09-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
YJPirate
1995 YJ Wrangler 

General Statute 20-126-B.

GS_20-126
YJPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to JeepIt

I like being able to see what's behind me.
GotLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
QUIESCO

If for some reason you were pulled over in NC & given a ticket for not having 2 mirrors... how much would the ticket/fine be?
QUIESCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Well, court costs just went up, so the minimum is going to be $120. Since they are so high, most of the time if you go ahead and plead guilty to the judge they will reduce the fine to a nominal amount (say $5-$10.) If you just pay without going to court, it'll probably be more, as you'll have to pay the amount written on the back of the ticket.

Note that you pay court costs whether or not you actually go to court or trial. The only way you don't pay is if you are found not guilty.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.