Moving to NC from Toronto.. could use some advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Moving to NC from Toronto.. could use some advise

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
GeepYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Moving to NC from Toronto.. could use some advise

Sorry to post this mostly unrelated to jeep query, but I figure someone here can help me out so I have to ask.

I am most likely going to be teaching in NC in the fall. Its for very little pay and I'm going to have to move my wife and 2 young kids down there with me. Teaching jobs are difficult to come by up here and I have this opportunity, so I think I'm going to take it. Anyway..

I'll be working in or around either Charlotte or Raleigh.

Here are some of my questions.

1. Which city would you choose to work in/near, and why?

2. How close would I be to decent wheeling? How about not so decent wheeling?( I may not be able to afford to bring my YJ and so I might have to rely on my wife's stock JK 4dr. But she would cut off my member in my sleep if I did any damage to it. I'm done having kids, and I watched my last one come out so Im not interested in sex anymore, so I'm willing to risk it, but I'd rather keep to lighter trails, just in case )

3. Does anyone surf, or are there nice beaches.... is it worth taking regular drives to the ocean? Or is it too expensive in gas to consider? I live in Toronto and never get to experience the ocean, so it intrigues me somewhat.

4. is hydro and electricity expensive? I'm looking at 3 bedroom apartments that run in and around 800-1000/month. Is that normal?

5. What are really bad towns/areas to stay away from? Good ones to consider?

I have a gazillion more, but if I can get any help on any of these, I'd appreciate it.

If this is posted in a completely inappropriate section, I apologize.

Thanks

Chris

GeepYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
mregister
2006 LJ Wrangler 

hI cHRIS,

I will help you with some of this if I can.

If I had to choose Raleigh or Charlotte, I would choose Raleigh because it is closer to the beach. Charlotte is closer to the Smokey mountains.

I have a friend who lived in Raleigh and this is from her. The best placeces near raleigh in her opinion:

Cary, NC- nice but expensive
Apex- ok with a good school system
Holly Springs
Fuquay Varina (parts of it ok)
Garner (parts of it ok)
Knightdale -AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Again, those are someone elses opinion, not mine, but she does have a home in Raleigh. I can agree with her though, everyone I know says Cary is expensive. I know we have members on the forum from Raleigh, maybe they will chime in.

As far as the beach/surfing goes, I think there are beach people and non-beach people and you will not know who you are until you give it an honest try. I love the beach and live steps away from the oceanfront/pier/and freeman park at Carolina Beach. My wife and I both love the sand/sun and general atmosphere of the summer months at the beach with the crowds and night life. I dont surf, but the surfing is better in the fall than the summer and is not anywhere near the caliber of west coast surfing, we just do not have the big waves except right before hurricanes Thats a whole nuther subject tho.

There are a lot of nice beaches in NC that are worth the drive IMHO. The Outer Banks are very popular. My beach is on the Cape Fear to the south.

I lived in Montana for awhile in a very beautiful part of the Rockies, and I could not wait to get back to the beach. I have friends from Calgary and they always seem a little stricken by the ocean, it is novel to them.

I think 800-1000 is pretty much the norm for rent on an apartment depending on the area of course, I would have guessed a little higher even. There are lots of students in Raleigh so keep that in mind if you are looking for a quiet place. Electric is going to vary depending on how energy efficient the walls, windows are. Remember are winters are mild and summers hot. In my very energy innefficient but small 2 bedroom condo, my electric is ,<$100 per month in the winter and over $200 in the summer.

Hope this helps.

Mike
mregister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
GeepYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot Mike; that's a whole wack of awesome info.

I know I'm going to sound like a bit of a wimp here, but where I live you have to really struggle to find an animal that could be even considered dangerous. THEN, you'd have to make sure it had rabies and even THEN, you'd have to corner it and start kicking at it with bare feet. You may get scratched then.

On the other hand you have NC, where as my research tells me you have hurricanes, tornados, black freakin widow spiders, brown reluse spiders, copperhead snakes, alligators....

I just passed out. Umm.. so, I'm not really too concerned for myself, but how often do the pets (I'm bringing a dog) and children of NC get seriously ill and/or die from these creatures/elements?
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
01BigSmitty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

very rarley will so one die from any of these creatures im sure you more likely to get in a wreck on the drive down than having an issue with any of this things combined. I would say that charlotte are has the most and closest wheeling spots (look up Uwharrie national forest).

PS we dont have hydro down here in the dirty south...lol.... We have water n, sewage
01BigSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
agronomya
2009 JK Wrangler 

Chris,

Just moved to the Raleigh area from Texas so I feel your pain having to make a cross country trek. At the moment we live in north Raleigh not far from Durham but we just closed on a house in Holly Springs that Mike mentioned. We haven't moved completely in yet but so far the Holly Springs area is great. Being from Texas I'm used to small towns with little traffic and if you want to live near Raleigh it seems about as good as you can get. So far our neighborhood is filled with kids and everyone has told us it's a great family neighborhood (don't have any yet but we're trying).
Haven't wheeled any yet so can't speak on that. Also haven't been to Charlotte yet but it is in my work area and I will be there for a week in June for sure. Electricity is comparable to what we payed in Texas and that is nuclear (NC) vs. coal (TX). If you're looking to take the family to the beach I think y'all would like Raleigh more compared to Charlotte. Like Mike said, Charlotte is close to the mountains but a good 5 hour drive from the ocean. Raleigh is 2-3 hours from the ocean or the mountains either way you go.
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
mregister
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Chris,

Do not worry to much about the creatures here. Of course it is bad to be bitten by a black widow or more commonly, a brown recluse, but the dog would recover as would your kids (likely). I can not remember the last time I saw either variety of spider. Alligators generally do not bite and usually leave your pet alone, they do not want to be near you anyhow.

The hurricanes are just something you get used to dealing with, like earthquakes in California, fire in the West, etc. You prepare, have a plan and utilize it and it all works out. Tornadoes of course are unpredictable and scary, but not much you can do.

Let me know if you need anything.

Mike
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Ckbranter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Moved to Wilmington NC from Toronto (and Ottawa)

Chris,

Welcome!

Imoved to Wilmington about 15 Months ago. I love it here! Ive hopefully shoveled my last shovel of snow ever!

Both Charlotte and Raleigh are nice just depends on what you may like to do outside of your job. I lived near the intersection of Sheppard and Yonge and I miss getting on the TTC and going downtown. Charlotte's more metro and if you like doing city stuff that might be its appeal. Raleigh is little smaller but, I like it better, for reasons I can't really explain. I guess because its closer to the beach.

Raleigh has the Hurricanes so you can co catch them play all the teams.

Charlotte has the Checkers, kinda like the Marlies.

I really miss Tim Horton's coffee there isnt one for states, the closest I found was in Ohio, I roadtripped up last summer and bought 10 cans of coffee.

So, the appeal of where im at is that you can drive your Jeep out on the beach at the north end of Carolina Beach and camp or hang out for the day/night. I go out there nearly every weekend starting in April through October. Buy some fresh shrimp from roadside stand, go out and BBQ them, have beers, play in the water, enjoy the sites, etc. I bought a surfboard a couple of years ago and have tried it, its fun but, my kids are much better at it than me.

Electricity costs are not as bad as Toronto and your grocery bill will go down! No milk in bags though! Dairy stuff is way cheaper!

Good luck on your move

Curt
Ckbranter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
GeepYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Curt,

Thanks for that info. Looks like I'll most likely be in the Charlotte area - which is apparently not too far from Uwharrie area, so that's cool. I'll definitely make a few trips over to the beach for some beer and shrimp! I look forward to that.

Thanks

Chris
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Metallheadd
1998 ZJ 

Im about 40 min north of Charlotte and 2.5 hours west of Raleigh. I never go to either one, but the mountains would be my deciding factor.
Metallheadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
GeepYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like I might have an opportunity to go to Jacksonville.
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeepYJ View Post
You might be happier in Charlotte or Raleigh. Jacksonville is on the coast, and a military town (Big Marine base there, not much else.) You actually would have to worry about Hurricanes and alligators there.

Charlotte and Raleigh are sufficiently inland that you really don't have to worry about hurricanes much, they might take a hit every 10-20 years, and it'll just be a big wind and rain storm. Jacksonville you have to worry about storm surge and a much worse wind storm since it's on the coast.

Charlotte is close to the mountains and Uwharrie (best 4-wheelin in the state since they closed Tellico.) Raleigh is about equidistant from the coast and the mountains. The have a special place for you just north of Buxton (Cape Hatteras), Canadian Hole (Le Trou Canadian) is a mecca for Canadian windsurfers
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
mregister
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I would not consider Jacksonville anywhere near the same league as Charlotte or Raleigh. I would have to be made to live there by circumstance.
Unread 06-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My gf teachers in Cary but lives in Raleigh near NC State Univ. She bought a three bedroom brand new townhome when she moved here from NH. Her mortage runs about 1000 a month. Raleigh is a nice area. 2 hours from the beach and about 3 hours from the mountains. Theres lot of things to do around here too. You can drive on some of our beaches(OBX, Carolina Beach) and the surfing is ok. We dont get "West Coast" waves but when theres storms out in the Atlantic, the waves get kicking pretty good. Raleigh is not too far from Uwharrie where most people go. Being your from Canada, you might be a hockey fan(hope so) but we do have the Hurricanes in Raleigh and Checkers in Charlotte(Hurricanes AHL team) and they play pretty decient, just always fall a few games short of the playoffs. You can generally get tickets fairly cheap(I know how hard Maple Leafs tix are to get)

Ive lived in Raleigh all my life and would only move to either the beach, or Pittsburgh, if I could do the cold weather. Its a great place to live at, always making some of the list for great places to live. Raleigh also has a lot of good colleges close(NC State, UNC, Duke) and a lot of really great hospitals(WakeMed, Rex, UNC, Duke).

Either way, Raleigh or Charlotte would be a good bet. I would suggest Raleigh, but I have a bias due to living there all my life. Good luck with your decision and if you come to Raleigh, we will have to meet up to watch some hockey.
Red Jeep Club #656
Steel4Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
Steel4Pens
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On the other hand you have NC, where as my research tells me you have hurricanes, tornados, black freakin widow spiders, brown reluse spiders, copperhead snakes, alligators....

I just passed out. Umm.. so, I'm not really too concerned for myself, but how often do the pets (I'm bringing a dog) and children of NC get seriously ill and/or die from these creatures/elements?
We do have hurricanes but inland isnt really bad of a storm. We did have Fran in 1996 and Floyd in 1999. Fran was a big wind event after a very, very wet summer so it knocked out power for much of inland NC. Floyd was a big rain event but that was mainly east of Raleigh(Wilson, Tarboro Rocky Mount area) We do get tornados but very rarely are they big storms or long track storms. We do have black widow and brown recluse spiders, but most of them hide very well and very rarely do people or pets get bite by them(been a vol. fire fighter for 6 years and have never responded to a bite) The Copperheads are out here but same as the spiders, generally stay in wooded areas or away from people. Ive known one person to get bite by one in my whole life. The aligators are mainly down east towards the coast. If one of your children or pets were bite by a spider or snake, they would most likely be ok, might be sore and somewhat sick but not too bad. As I stated in my previous post, we have some very, verrry good hospitals in Raleigh area so they would be fine.
Red Jeep Club #656
Steel4Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
GeepYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all that info. I am a hockey fan, and would ofcourse enjoy many games - esp if cheap

Unfortunately, I dont have much of a choice where I may be placed. I originally thought it would only be Charlotte or Raliegh, but not I've been given possibilities of Jacksonville and just today, Fayetteville.

What's Fayetteville like? I beleive its not too far from Raliegh, so that can's be too bad.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.