Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013 - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #121
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Moab 2013 Itinerary

Saturday - June 1st . Fins and things . It is a great sampling of what Moab has to offer and can show the first timer what to expect .
Hells Revenge can also be run from here very easily or we could take Sand Flats up to Geyser pass for some summertime snow wheeling. Or we could run out Potash and go up Long Canyon trail . This is a mellow trail that goes up to dead horse point . Dead Horse is an amazing place to go see , and the views are incredible .

Sunday - June 2nd. Moab Rim trail . For whatever reason I have only hiked this trail . There are a few ledges on the way up that require attention , but once we are past those its not too bad . Lots of neat stuff up top along with lots of great views .

Monday- June 3rd . Poison Spider / Golden Spike ? For those so inclined we could run the spike all the way to Gold Bar Rim and Gemini Bridges . For those that dont want to run an 8 hour trail they could loop back around and go back down Poison Spider .

Tuesday-June 4th . Steel Bender . Really fun trail that follows Mill creek all the way south to Kens Lake . Very fun trail with a pretty big water crossing at the end .

Wednesday-June 5th. Flat Iron Mesa . This one is south of town a ways but has lots of different terrain . There is one spot I will bypass as it is exceptionally tight and the drop off is huge . But I will gladly guide anyone who wants to drive around the corner o' death .

Thursday-June 6th . Elephant Hill . Way south of town , you have to really want to wheel this trail as it is south of town by over an hour by the time you drive through Canyonlands to get to the trailhead . You will need to buy a pass from the park to run this one and it will be mostly the blind leading the blind as I have only hiked the first two miles of this trail as the rental car had no chance of making it up the hill .

Friday-June 7th . Hotel Rock trail south of Blanding . Its out there ... I mean really out there . But the trail is fun and there wont be anyone else there besides us .

Saturday-June 8th Snake house / via Comb Wash . Awesome Indian Ruins at the end of a sandy/ledgy trail . On the way back we could hit comb wash or the Moki Dugway .

The 7th and 8th are way south of town , but thats where me and my brother in law will be staying . Theres a chance we may stay in Moab for the week and go to Monticello on the 8th . All of the trails listed above are suggestions that I pulled out of my head from past trips . You have seen most of them in the magazines and videos , but there are some notable trails missing . Such as Cliff Hanger , Pritchett Canyon and Behind the Rocks . There are many more beyond those , but they are the more famous ones off the list . If anyone wants to run those we can split the group in two depending on abilities and run separate trails for the day .

Again the trails above are just suggestions and I am open to all ideas and inputs .

Unread 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #122
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
On the past trips we always decided by committee ,but I can put up a loose schedule to give everyone an idea .
I don't want to speak for Beasley, since he's the founder of this trip. But I can say for myself. YOU CAN TAG ALONG, and we will get you through. It may take a winch, a tug, a pull, or some motivation. But having been the leader during many wheeling trips in the Sierra's, everyone always makes it through.

The only thing I ask, is that you make sure your Junk is ready to wheel! Basic maintenance, a fluid check, physical nut / bolt check..... We all know things break, but it's frustrating when it's something easily avoidable or stems only from neglect.

(quoted the wrong post here) but the message is clear!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #123
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a pretty good idea so far, I know jake and I, mike and art are probably all going to spend a day at area bfe.

And are you planning on doing holy cross too? I know I want to hit that trail the absolute most, more than any trail in moab.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #124
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111
Sounds like a pretty good idea so far, I know jake and I, mike and art are probably all going to spend a day at area bfe.

And are you planning on doing holy cross too? I know I want to hit that trail the absolute most, more than any trail in moab.
Not sure about Beasley...

Holy cross is epic, I'll be there for sure. Chinaman is awesome too, I'll be there. So is Penrose: liberty/independence/ patriot. If i get my rear locker before the trip I'll drive penrose. If not I'll ride along with someone. I wish everyone was spending more time in CO.

Will you guys be in CO the whole weekend with us ? My buddy should be able to lead us through Penrose...once you drop in there's really no going back.
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #125
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup

Holy cross is epic, I'll be there for sure. Chinaman is awesome too, I'll be there. So is Penrose: liberty/independence/ patriot. If i get my rear locker before the trip I'll drive penrose. If not I'll ride along with someone. I wish everyone was spending more time in CO.

Will you guys be in CO the whole weekend with us ? My buddy should be able to lead us through Penrose...once you drop in there's really no going back.
Yeah we should be there with you in Colorado. Half of me wanting to go outwest is simply for Colorado.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #126
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111

I want to check out bfe as well.

Also Beasley I have almost all those trails minus the southern most ones you mentioned on my list. I purchased the Charles wells trail guide but haven't gone through it just yet.

Only issue I have with the tentative itinerary is I also want to do fins and things and Moab rim but won't get there until Monday but we will figure it all out I'm sure.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #127
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ

Also Beasley I have almost all those trails minus the southern most ones you mentioned on my list. I purchased the Charles wells trail guide but haven't gone through it just yet.

Only issue I have with the tentative itinerary is I also want to do fins and things and Moab rim but won't get there until Monday but we will figure it all out I'm sure.
Too many trails, too little time. That's the story every time I go to Moab. Haha

Lou we can make things work for Moab Rim / Fins, but you'd enjoy a Hells night run more ??? Lol I kid. I'm down for whatever this trip.

Beasley, I will definitely do Red Elephant with you. I've missed it the last 3 trips. Now that they could potentially close the trail to MV it's a must.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #128
143DAD

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Moab 2013 Itinerary

Saturday - June 1st . Fins and things . It is a great sampling of what Moab has to offer and can show the first timer what to expect .
Hells Revenge can also be run from here very easily or we could take Sand Flats up to Geyser pass for some summertime snow wheeling. Or we could run out Potash and go up Long Canyon trail . This is a mellow trail that goes up to dead horse point . Dead Horse is an amazing place to go see , and the views are incredible .

Sunday - June 2nd. Moab Rim trail . For whatever reason I have only hiked this trail . There are a few ledges on the way up that require attention , but once we are past those its not too bad . Lots of neat stuff up top along with lots of great views .

Monday- June 3rd . Poison Spider / Golden Spike ? For those so inclined we could run the spike all the way to Gold Bar Rim and Gemini Bridges . For those that dont want to run an 8 hour trail they could loop back around and go back down Poison Spider .

Tuesday-June 4th . Steel Bender . Really fun trail that follows Mill creek all the way south to Kens Lake . Very fun trail with a pretty big water crossing at the end .

Wednesday-June 5th. Flat Iron Mesa . This one is south of town a ways but has lots of different terrain . There is one spot I will bypass as it is exceptionally tight and the drop off is huge . But I will gladly guide anyone who wants to drive around the corner o' death .

Thursday-June 6th . Elephant Hill . Way south of town , you have to really want to wheel this trail as it is south of town by over an hour by the time you drive through Canyonlands to get to the trailhead . You will need to buy a pass from the park to run this one and it will be mostly the blind leading the blind as I have only hiked the first two miles of this trail as the rental car had no chance of making it up the hill .

Friday-June 7th . Hotel Rock trail south of Blanding . Its out there ... I mean really out there . But the trail is fun and there wont be anyone else there besides us .

Saturday-June 8th Snake house / via Comb Wash . Awesome Indian Ruins at the end of a sandy/ledgy trail . On the way back we could hit comb wash or the Moki Dugway .

The 7th and 8th are way south of town , but thats where me and my brother in law will be staying . Theres a chance we may stay in Moab for the week and go to Monticello on the 8th . All of the trails listed above are suggestions that I pulled out of my head from past trips . You have seen most of them in the magazines and videos , but there are some notable trails missing . Such as Cliff Hanger , Pritchett Canyon and Behind the Rocks . There are many more beyond those , but they are the more famous ones off the list . If anyone wants to run those we can split the group in two depending on abilities and run separate trails for the day .

Again the trails above are just suggestions and I am open to all ideas and inputs .
As long as I can still load it in the trailer at the end I'll try anything once.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #129
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post

We can run two trails on most days depending on the size of the group and any breakages . So if you want to run Fins and Things after we run something else thats fine by me . The Charles Wells book is good , and I find his descriptions accurate . As to BFE , I no longer have a rig for that kind of stuff . I have ran upper and lower helldorado in the past and it was awesome . Sadly lower is now closed and upper is beyond my rigs capability now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post

I would like to run Chinamans it looks like a fun trail that isnt side of the mountain poop your pants terrifying .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post

I might be able to run more than one Colorado trail , just depends on when I get to leave NC .

Quote:
Too many trails, too little time. That's the story every time I go to Moab. Haha

Lou we can make things work for Moab Rim / Fins, but you'd enjoy a Hells night run more ??? Lol I kid. I'm down for whatever this trip.

Beasley, I will definitely do Red Elephant with you. I've missed it the last 3 trips. Now that they could potentially close the trail to MV it's a must.
Thats kind of why I wanted to run Elephant too . On the way out of Elephant I was thinking about hitting Beef Basin to Blue Mountain .
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #130
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Id still like to get some more people on this list, just so we know who's gonna be in the area on what days....

Gst95dsm: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Packing up and heading home on Thursday.
GBeasley: Saturday through Wednesday maybe Thursday and then we are heading south to Monticello .
Gspup: Wednesday night thru Saturday
MO2500: Monday through Friday, maybe Sat morning but will probably head out Sat.
AngryTJ: Monday-Sat June 8th
143DAD: Friday 31st though Wednesday or Thursday then south with Beasley.
YellowSnocone: Friday night to tuesday afternoon
aw12345: Monday through Friday, can stay Saturday also
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #131
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Id still like to get some more people on this list, just so we know who's gonna be in the area on what days....

Gst95dsm: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Packing up and heading home on Thursday.
GBeasley: Saturday through Wednesday maybe Thursday and then we are heading south to Monticello .
Gspup: Wednesday night thru Saturday
MO2500: Monday through Friday, maybe Sat morning but will probably head out Sat.
AngryTJ: Monday-Sat June 8th
143DAD: Friday 31st though Wednesday or Thursday then south with Beasley.
YellowSnocone: Friday night to tuesday afternoon
aw12345 Monday through Friday, can stay Saturday also
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #132
Rook87
1997 ZJ 

Just found this thread! I cancelled my plans to go out there in April due to having to move next month. But now I'm headed out first week of June now. Headed out solo with just the girlfriend so I'd like to meet up
Rook87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #133
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook87 View Post
Just found this thread! I cancelled my plans to go out there in April due to having to move next month. But now I'm headed out first week of June now. Headed out solo with just the girlfriend so I'd like to meet up
Post your days homie.....
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #134
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley

I would like to run Chinamans it looks like a fun trail that isnt side of the mountain poop your pants terrifying .

I might be able to run more than one Colorado trail , just depends on when I get to leave NC .

Thats kind of why I wanted to run Elephant too . On the way out of Elephant I was thinking about hitting Beef Basin to Blue Mountain .
There is no poopy pants on Chinaman unless you choose optional stuff. Your rig will love chinaman you can make it as hard as you want too.

Pics of beef basin look amazing.

Where you looking to camp ?
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #135
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There is no poopy pants on Chinaman unless you choose optional stuff. Your rig will love chinaman you can make it as hard as you want too.

Pics of beef basin look amazing.

Where you looking to camp ?
I plan on camping at the log cabin

I think theres room for you there , 8000 feet and a nice place to put a tent . My wife cooks a heck of a breakfast and there is a hot shower too . Though you may want to worry about being attacked by me and my brother in laws kids .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.