Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013 - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #151
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
There is a good solid permanent winch point up top . Even with a winch cable its still a heck of a ride .
I can imagine, and at 94", your ON the wall with all 4 for a few moments, I bet that's fun! SNAP!

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #152
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I can imagine, and at 94", your ON the wall with all 4 for a few moments, I bet that's fun! SNAP!
That was the wheelbase of my old samurai ... and I still didnt hit it .
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #153
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is getting me PUMPED! I want to go here....

Unread 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #154
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
That was the wheelbase of my old samurai ... and I still didnt hit it .
Did you do the rest? And winch that?
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #155
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I want to run Helldorado, and completeing that waterfall is on my bucket list so I might just have a go at it depending on how I feel that day
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #156
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just gotta use a little POWA!!!

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #157
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you do the rest? And winch that?
I turned around at the narrows , and let the buggys go have their way with the rest of it .
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #158
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's ugly, but would be fun to tackle it.
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot steeper than this one, just bumpier
To much wheel spin and walking to the left could get ugly

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #159
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I guess "UPPER" Helldorado is closed now.... so it's referred to only as Helldorado now... and surprisingly is only .56 miles in length, interesting.

Helldorado
San Juan County, Utah
View this on the Utah Trailheads Map

Nearby Towns: Moab
Nearby Trails: Strike Ravine, Area BFE, Minor Threat, Green Day
Season: Year Round
Trail Length: 0.57 miles
Elevation: 5,520 to 5,632 feet
Named Obstacles: Gatekeeper, Squeeze, Can Opener, Waterfall, Boulder Field
This trail used to be called Lower Helldorado. Upper Helldorado is no longer open, so the name of this trail is now simply Helldorado.

This trail is famous for turning away even the biggest 4x4 rigs. The Waterfall is the biggest obstacle, and it may not be possible without winching. You can expect body or mechanical damage from any of the obstacles.

The trail starts very near the parking area for Area BFE. The entrance is the Gatekeeper obstacle. This obstacle of rock can be tackled many different ways, and there are no easy lines through it. You can also do Gatekeeper as an optional way of starting the Minor Threat trail.

After Gatekeeper, there is a rock slab that must be climbed up and over. Then it isn't long before you're at the Squeeze. This obstacle is a slab of rock between two walls of rock, and it might be impossible to get your vehicle through it without hitting your rig's body on one or more of the rocks on the way through. It is also a steep obstacle, making things even more difficult.

The Can Opener obstacle is right after the Squeeze. This jumble of rocks has a tendency to want to rip a tear in the body of your rig, so choose your line carefully.

After these obstacles the trail mellows out. There are a few rocky sections and ledges but nothing to worry about. You go around a corner and find yourself face to face with the Waterfall.

You can't miss the Waterfall. It's a wall of rock covered in black tire marks. It's over 10 feet tall and completely vertical. Some vehicles have climbed this obstacle without assistance, but most rigs won't be able to do this.

In order to continue the trail, it is often necessary to send someone around from the end of the trail to be used as a winch point. If you have a vehicle at the top of the Waterfall, it is a straightforward winch job.

When you get past the Waterfall there really isn't anything else to challenge you. You come to a "Y" in the road and you can take either way out. Most people take the rightmost fork, as there is a fun Boulder Field on this section.

No matter which way you choose you end up on the Strike Ravine trail. Turn right to go back to the Area BFE parking lot and the road. You will make a loop at this point.

It's probably a good idea to walk this very short trail first before tackling it. Driving it with someone else who has done it before is also a good idea. Pull off to the side if you break down, but stay on the trail. You can easily walk out to the Area BFE parking lot at any time, but a walk back to Moab would be a long one. Come prepared for carnage.

Information last updated on May 11th, 2008.

No Member Reports

This trail has not yet been run by a TrailDamage.com member, but we did walk along it to take pictures and get information. You can view the pictures of our hike to determine for yourself if you're ready to drive this trail.

Driving Directions

From Moab, go south on Highway 191 approximately 13 miles. Just after the uphill passing lane comes to an end, take the first left onto a wide dirt road. Follow the maintained dirt road and signs for about three miles to the cleared parking area on the left and the sign for Area BFE. Work your way along the trail and through the parking area until you descend down into a ravine. Helldorado starts at the bottom of this ravine at a metal sign.

Meeting Places

Meet at the McDonald's at Kane Creek Road and Main Street in Moab.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #160
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I will likely pass on helldorado but will certainly ride shotgun and get some great video and photos of everyone.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #161
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I will likely pass on helldorado but will certainly ride shotgun and get some great video and photos of everyone.
Oh, come on! haha.... it will be fun

Just winch when you need to and ship it to John after the trip for body work
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #162
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500

Oh, come on! haha.... it will be fun

Just winch when you need to and ship it to John after the trip for body work
Haha your not kidding. Not only that but ill **** my pants winching up a 10ft wall worrying my winchline will snap

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #163
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Haha your not kidding. Not only that but ill **** my pants winching up a 10ft wall worrying my winchline will snap
I think with some patience we can get through it, the only thing that would suck would be if the trail was really busy and we felt rushed. I've just spent about two hours looking at it. Only thing NOT doable is the waterfall, the rest is good line choice and spotting, and have a big boy in front of you to hook up to if you need a tug. I'm not worried about body damage, the worst would be my windshield frame in the narrows, and being careful we can avoid it. It's a half mile.... how bad can it be...
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #164
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ

If you're scared say you're scared! Know dat! Hahaha just kidding man. I want to run helldorado so bad

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #165
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's a half mile.... how bad can it be...
You just had to say it, didn't you
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.