Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013

48K views 671 replies 35 participants last post by  d90king 
#1 ·
I started this thread to work out the logistics of meeting up in Moab . In a few of the different build threads we have been talking about heading to Moab next year . A lot of folks are going for EJS , but with my kids in school I cant make it over Easter .

So June 1st - 14th me my kids and my wife will be in Moab . We will either stay at the LaQuinta or Canyon Lands Campground . Sometime around the 10th we will probably head down to Blanding to visit friends and hit some of the lesser known trails . Around the 15th we plan to head back east through the Ouray/Durango area and hit a few of the high country trails .

Thats the loose plan for now , and I know it will change as we go along . I will save the next post to keep the trip details updated as they change .

#2 ·
Moab 2013 Itinerary

Saturday - June 1st . Fins and things . It is a great sampling of what Moab has to offer and can show the first timer what to expect .
Hells Revenge can also be run from here very easily or we could take Sand Flats up to Geyser pass for some summertime snow wheeling. Or we could run out Potash and go up Long Canyon trail . This is a mellow trail that goes up to dead horse point . Dead Horse is an amazing place to go see , and the views are incredible .

Sunday - June 2nd. Moab Rim trail . For whatever reason I have only hiked this trail . There are a few ledges on the way up that require attention , but once we are past those its not too bad . Lots of neat stuff up top along with lots of great views .

Monday- June 3rd . Poison Spider / Golden Spike ? For those so inclined we could run the spike all the way to Gold Bar Rim and Gemini Bridges . For those that dont want to run an 8 hour trail they could loop back around and go back down Poison Spider .

Tuesday-June 4th . Steel Bender . Really fun trail that follows Mill creek all the way south to Kens Lake . Very fun trail with a pretty big water crossing at the end .

Wednesday-June 5th. Flat Iron Mesa . This one is south of town a ways but has lots of different terrain . There is one spot I will bypass as it is exceptionally tight and the drop off is huge . But I will gladly guide anyone who wants to drive around the corner o' death .

Thursday-June 6th . Elephant Hill . Way south of town , you have to really want to wheel this trail as it is south of town by over an hour by the time you drive through Canyonlands to get to the trailhead . You will need to buy a pass from the park to run this one and it will be mostly the blind leading the blind as I have only hiked the first two miles of this trail as the rental car had no chance of making it up the hill .

Friday-June 7th . Hotel Rock trail south of Blanding . Its out there ... I mean really out there . But the trail is fun and there wont be anyone else there besides us .

Saturday-June 8th Snake house / via Comb Wash . Awesome Indian Ruins at the end of a sandy/ledgy trail . On the way back we could hit comb wash or the Moki Dugway .

The 7th and 8th are way south of town , but thats where me and my brother in law will be staying . Theres a chance we may stay in Moab for the week and go to Monticello on the 8th .

#3 ·
Very nice. 2 friends from CT, 1 from MD and myself are planning to make a trip out West around this exact time frame if everything works out.

June is too far to plan for just yet but my initial plan is to ship my jeep out west while my friends drive out there and meet up in CO with gsup who lives out there. Wheel in CO a couple days then drive out to Moab. Im thinking Ill spend 7-9 days out west before heading back east.

#5 ·
Very nice. 2 friends from CT, 1 from MD and myself are planning to make a trip out West around this exact time frame if everything works out.

June is too far to plan for just yet but my initial plan is to ship my jeep out west while my friends drive out there and meet up in CO with gsup who lives out there. Wheel in CO a couple days then drive out to Moab. Im thinking Ill spend 7-9 days out west before heading back east.
I am hoping gspup will be able to make it over as I owe him many beers for all his help with my trailer .

I'd like to meet up with you guys if the timing works out. I only live 2 hours from Moab and have only been there to wheel once (last September). I'll try to keep an eye on this thread
Thats kind of like when I lived at the beach , but didnt go in the ocean but once or twice a year ... If you dont make it to Moab , your welcome to meet up with me when I go south to Blanding as thats even closer to you and there are some great trails around Blanding .

#4 ·
I'd like to meet up with you guys if the timing works out. I only live 2 hours from Moab and have only been there to wheel once (last September). I'll try to keep an eye on this thread

#7 ·
I liked Hotel Rock , and I would like to run Elephant Hill / Beef Basin in Canyonlands . A lot of the stuff I have been on in Blanding isnt that tough , its more exploring and seeing Indian Ruins than anything .

#16 ·
Thats true. I grew up here so Indian ruins aren't too exciting to me. Did you go all the way back to Hotel Rock? pretty interesting. More moab motivation!

Attachments

#8 ·
I was planning on getting out there right around this time so might be able to meet you as well. I would be going with two or three other jeeps from this part of FL. I think beginning of june is when they went last year.

They camped too, i couldnt tell you the campground but it was right in moab.

#19 ·
We are driving out , if I put my wife and kids in the tow pig you would not make it past TN ...

There's a good chance this timing will work out good for me. I've just got to find out what day the last day of school is. No matter what though.... I'm really gong to try hard to make this trip happen.
It is going to be a good time , heck any time spent on the slick rock is good .

I met up with Mike this past June in Colorado and wheeled a couple days, I know he's interested in coming out with us if we go back out. Btw, I'm the "1 from MD" AngryTJ is referring to I believe. Would really like to go back around early June next year if I can swing it financially again, was a heck of a trip!
Start saving now !
I'm so in.
Hoping you guys all make it the same week otherwise I'll be doing multiple short weekend trips so I can roll with everyone.
I always camp on Kane Creek Rd in free primitive sites a few miles past the pritchett trailhead and get a hotel the night before I leave so I can clean up before the drive back.
It's beautiful camping in that canyon...
We will camp a few nights,but anymore than that and my family will revolt .

Are you guys driving out from nc? That's a long drive, I've done it. But not in my jeep sadly:(

Edit: btw, I'm from graham, nc. I'm in Florida for college currently. Want to make sure I fit in over here in the nc section!
Yes we are driving out , it takes three days but it isnt too bad .

I'm hoping to make it up that way early June as well. I think I'll be able to stay for a good four days.
The party is getting larger .
Thats true. I grew up here so Indian ruins aren't too exciting to me. Did you go all the way back to Hotel Rock? pretty interesting. More moab motivation!
I am not sure how far back we made it , we had to stop when I couldnt go any farther . My LJ couldnt clear what I think is the last bad ledge before you get to the top . We had a good time , it was a fun trail .

I'll be moving to ft bragg in jan and me and the wife are from slc ut so this might be a fun road trip.Sent from my WJ
Its three days via I 40 , get ready to love Tn

Man I would LOVE to make this trip. I wont be able to swing it in June though :thumbdown:
Sad days , we will drink a beer at the brewery in your honor .

#12 ·
I'm so in.

Hoping you guys all make it the same week otherwise I'll be doing multiple short weekend trips so I can roll with everyone.

I always camp on Kane Creek Rd in free primitive sites a few miles past the pritchett trailhead and get a hotel the night before I leave so I can clean up before the drive back.

Attachments

#672 ·
I'm so in.

Great looking 110!

#21 ·
ssquier92 said:
Yeah? That was one thing we were figuring out, If so it might be more cost effective for me to throw mine on your trailer. What do you haul with? It just depends on how many of us actually go as to what trailers we need. Ill have to bookmark you!
My dad has a f650 and a 50 ft trailer, which can fit 4 Jeeps. 3 spots are already filled.

#69 ·
Could I reserve a "Future" spot?? Please?? I am DYING to go to moab. I need to build my rig a little bit though. Hey guys, how much money should I have set aside for a trip like this with a 15 year old tj?

:edit: Did some research, Anyone think a stocker could follow you guys? Maybe if I can convince my Dad to let me go and I can save enough money I can go.

I'm in Murphy NC.

#23 ·
Man it would be cool to possibly ride with all these guys Jake. Sure would be fun. We'll talk about it when i head up there sometime over christmas break!

Mike when do you think you'll know if you can swing it? you should hop on the f650 caravan with us, would be more cost effective :cheers:

#24 ·
Mike when do you think you'll know if you can swing it? you should hop on the f650 caravan with us, would be more cost effective :cheers:
You talking to me? Not sure when I can give a definite yes or no. I might be a little out of your way to hop on the cool bus with you guys but PM an approximate cost to do so if you don't mind.

#28 ·
In 2003, seven families from my 4x4 club caravaned out to Moab from TN. It took a year to plan, so you have a good start. It took 35 hours to get there if I recall... and that was driving straight through in shifts.

We were so excited when we got there that we unloaded, aired down and hit fins and things half asleep.

Overall the trip was a blast!! We stayed there a week and hit all the famous trails. We were there when you could run Lower and Upper Helldorado and did both. They were still pretty new trails then. Winched out the waterfall on Upper at 3:00AM (ahhh memories)

If you don't mind a TJ from TN... I may try to work this trip out. It's been too long!

#31 ·
We made the drive from NC to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari, and my advice, for those who haven't done it, take the Southern route. Kansas is freaking brutal on the Central route.

I think we have hit Moab 6 times now (lived in CO), it never gets old. Make sure to hit Area BFE, I thought it had the most challenging trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.