Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Moab Utah June 1st - June 14th 2013

I started this thread to work out the logistics of meeting up in Moab . In a few of the different build threads we have been talking about heading to Moab next year . A lot of folks are going for EJS , but with my kids in school I cant make it over Easter .

So June 1st - 14th me my kids and my wife will be in Moab . We will either stay at the LaQuinta or Canyon Lands Campground . Sometime around the 10th we will probably head down to Blanding to visit friends and hit some of the lesser known trails . Around the 15th we plan to head back east through the Ouray/Durango area and hit a few of the high country trails .

Thats the loose plan for now , and I know it will change as we go along . I will save the next post to keep the trip details updated as they change .

Unread 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Moab 2013 Itinerary

Saturday - June 1st . Fins and things . It is a great sampling of what Moab has to offer and can show the first timer what to expect .
Hells Revenge can also be run from here very easily or we could take Sand Flats up to Geyser pass for some summertime snow wheeling. Or we could run out Potash and go up Long Canyon trail . This is a mellow trail that goes up to dead horse point . Dead Horse is an amazing place to go see , and the views are incredible .

Sunday - June 2nd. Moab Rim trail . For whatever reason I have only hiked this trail . There are a few ledges on the way up that require attention , but once we are past those its not too bad . Lots of neat stuff up top along with lots of great views .

Monday- June 3rd . Poison Spider / Golden Spike ? For those so inclined we could run the spike all the way to Gold Bar Rim and Gemini Bridges . For those that dont want to run an 8 hour trail they could loop back around and go back down Poison Spider .

Tuesday-June 4th . Steel Bender . Really fun trail that follows Mill creek all the way south to Kens Lake . Very fun trail with a pretty big water crossing at the end .

Wednesday-June 5th. Flat Iron Mesa . This one is south of town a ways but has lots of different terrain . There is one spot I will bypass as it is exceptionally tight and the drop off is huge . But I will gladly guide anyone who wants to drive around the corner o' death .

Thursday-June 6th . Elephant Hill . Way south of town , you have to really want to wheel this trail as it is south of town by over an hour by the time you drive through Canyonlands to get to the trailhead . You will need to buy a pass from the park to run this one and it will be mostly the blind leading the blind as I have only hiked the first two miles of this trail as the rental car had no chance of making it up the hill .

Friday-June 7th . Hotel Rock trail south of Blanding . Its out there ... I mean really out there . But the trail is fun and there wont be anyone else there besides us .

Saturday-June 8th Snake house / via Comb Wash . Awesome Indian Ruins at the end of a sandy/ledgy trail . On the way back we could hit comb wash or the Moki Dugway .

The 7th and 8th are way south of town , but thats where me and my brother in law will be staying . Theres a chance we may stay in Moab for the week and go to Monticello on the 8th .
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice. 2 friends from CT, 1 from MD and myself are planning to make a trip out West around this exact time frame if everything works out.

June is too far to plan for just yet but my initial plan is to ship my jeep out west while my friends drive out there and meet up in CO with gsup who lives out there. Wheel in CO a couple days then drive out to Moab. Im thinking Ill spend 7-9 days out west before heading back east.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like to meet up with you guys if the timing works out. I only live 2 hours from Moab and have only been there to wheel once (last September). I'll try to keep an eye on this thread
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Very nice. 2 friends from CT, 1 from MD and myself are planning to make a trip out West around this exact time frame if everything works out.

June is too far to plan for just yet but my initial plan is to ship my jeep out west while my friends drive out there and meet up in CO with gsup who lives out there. Wheel in CO a couple days then drive out to Moab. Im thinking Ill spend 7-9 days out west before heading back east.
I am hoping gspup will be able to make it over as I owe him many beers for all his help with my trailer .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I'd like to meet up with you guys if the timing works out. I only live 2 hours from Moab and have only been there to wheel once (last September). I'll try to keep an eye on this thread
Thats kind of like when I lived at the beach , but didnt go in the ocean but once or twice a year ... If you dont make it to Moab , your welcome to meet up with me when I go south to Blanding as thats even closer to you and there are some great trails around Blanding .
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Thats kind of like when I lived at the beach , but didnt go in the ocean but once or twice a year ... If you dont make it to Moab , your welcome to meet up with me when I go south to Blanding as thats even closer to you and there are some great trails around Blanding .
Blanding is about 30 mins closer. Oddly enough I have been to Blanding to wheel more than Moab. What trails are you thinking of over there? IMO Hotel Rock is the only challenging one. It isnt real hard but it is pretty fun!
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I liked Hotel Rock , and I would like to run Elephant Hill / Beef Basin in Canyonlands . A lot of the stuff I have been on in Blanding isnt that tough , its more exploring and seeing Indian Ruins than anything .
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was planning on getting out there right around this time so might be able to meet you as well. I would be going with two or three other jeeps from this part of FL. I think beginning of june is when they went last year.

They camped too, i couldnt tell you the campground but it was right in moab.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a spot left on my trailer for late may, possibly early June next year.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

There's a good chance this timing will work out good for me. I've just got to find out what day the last day of school is. No matter what though.... I'm really gong to try hard to make this trip happen.

Some Moab motivation!

Awww! Just a baby.

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I am hoping gspup will be able to make it over as I owe him many beers for all his help with my trailer .
I met up with Mike this past June in Colorado and wheeled a couple days, I know he's interested in coming out with us if we go back out. Btw, I'm the "1 from MD" AngryTJ is referring to I believe. Would really like to go back around early June next year if I can swing it financially again, was a heck of a trip!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm so in.

Hoping you guys all make it the same week otherwise I'll be doing multiple short weekend trips so I can roll with everyone.

I always camp on Kane Creek Rd in free primitive sites a few miles past the pritchett trailhead and get a hotel the night before I leave so I can clean up before the drive back.

It's beautiful camping in that canyon...
image-3849428824.jpg  
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post

Some Moab motivation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Btw, I'm the "1 from MD" AngryTJ is referring to I believe.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are you guys driving out from nc? That's a long drive, I've done it. But not in my jeep sadly

Edit: btw, I'm from graham, nc. I'm in Florida for college currently. Want to make sure I fit in over here in the nc section!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping to make it up that way early June as well. I think I'll be able to stay for a good four days.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/chesters-tj-build-1420405/"][COLOR="Green"]Chester TJ build[/COLOR][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/rubicon-trail-august-9th-11th-2014-a-1550022/"][COLOR="Blue"]2014 JF RUBICON TRIP[/COLOR][/URL]
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.