Introductory off-road training course in NC? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Introductory off-road training course in NC?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
stachnikw
2007 JK Wrangler 

Introductory off-road training course in NC?

Just starting. Stock 2007 JK (2 door). Anyone recommend a good off-road training course for beginners in central NC or nearby? Any good beginner trails nearby?

Thanks

stachnikw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
katuah
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Uwharrie off road training center.
katuah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
NC06LJRubi
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stachnikw View Post
Just starting. Stock 2007 JK (2 door). Anyone recommend a good off-road training course for beginners in central NC or nearby? Any good beginner trails nearby?

Thanks
Check this out:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php...rie-nc.120275/

Mike
NC06LJRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Corigirlloves

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good suggestions! Or you can start at a very easy trail that could potentially be done in 2wd like Hurricane Creek off 40 west. I started there and wheeled with some pretty experienced drivers and have become an excellent driver. I'm majority stock and have kept up on harder trails at Uwharrie, The Flats, Trak N Trail, and many other places. Knowing the right people and having the right spotter is a big key in wheeling.

I'd be more than happy to wheel with ya if you want to do something easy like hurricane creek. We're always up for wheeling!
Corigirlloves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
XJapple
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are most of the places you listed (aside from Uwharrie) open to wheeling at all times? working on wrapping up my XJ and looking for places to go...without getting shot at haha
XJapple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
rdujeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

This thread is very relevant to my interests, for I also want to do this. Where is Hurricane Creek?
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Corigirlloves

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Off 40 west ,literally.
Trail Jammers, NC
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/n...bicon-2137905/
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Take I-40W till the "Harmon's Den 1 mile" sign which is around mile marker 8 and the gravel road is literally right off the interstate. Once you see that sign and a speed limit sign slow down because it's right there.

I was there yesterday and it was covered in snow but very pretty. Just a heads up... the trail is not marked well and I couldn't make it past this one rock. I'm completely stock and the TC skid was getting hung on it but combined with the slickness and the drop off(not to mention a terrified wife) I turned around. I will hit that trail again in the spring.
_AdriaN_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
rdujeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ahh ok, so its in the western part of the state. Might make it up there this spring, turn it into a camping trip!
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Corigirlloves

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Im stock and made it through just fine , was it the rock after the hill climbs?
Trail Jammers, NC
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also if you're up towards the Raleigh area there is a couple places, the Rock Quarry, TW Alexander(where I started) and page road.

Hook up with the Raleigh Area Wheelers on fb. RAW has a bunch of people and wheel about every weekend.

Don't let the location fool you, I'm born and raised in Burlington, nc. So i know the area. In Florida for college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corigirlloves View Post
Im stock and made it through just fine , was it the rock after the hill climbs?
Honestly, I'm not too sure. It wasn't much after a field with a gate. The gate was closed so I took a trail that was to the right as you came into the field. Took a right near a bus and went up one trail that was washed out so turned around and took the right fork and it wasn't much further up from there. I don't know if I was on the main/right trail to make it all the way through.
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Corigirlloves

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AdriaN_ View Post

Honestly, I'm not too sure. It wasn't much after a field with a gate. The gate was closed so I took a trail that was to the right as you came into the field. Took a right near a bus and went up one trail that was washed out so turned around and took the right fork and it wasn't much further up from there. I don't know if I was on the main/right trail to make it all the way through.
I think you made a wrong turn i think you're supposed to take a left at the bus from there there's a river crossing and then a four trail hill climb to the top.
Trail Jammers, NC
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
_AdriaN_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corigirlloves View Post
I think you made a wrong turn i think you're supposed to take a left at the bus from there there's a river crossing and then a four trail hill climb to the top.
I took a left there, went across a river then it went right. I'm hoping a group gets together in better weather and I can tag along.
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
XJapple
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Let me know if anyone decides to run up that way...snow or no snow i'm down...just got back from some places in boone in the snow..was a good time.
XJapple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.