Help save Tellico, NC on June 28th!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
GeorgiaCrawlers
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Arrow Help save Tellico, NC on June 28th!!!

BLUERIBBON COALITION ACTION ALERT!

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

FOREST SERVICE ANNOUNCES PROPOSED CHANGES FOR UPPER TELLICO OHV TRAILS

Steve Lohr, Tusquitee District Ranger, on the Nantahala National Forest, today announced proposed changes in the 39.5 mile Upper Tellico OHV Trail System. The proposal calls for maintaining approximately 24 miles of trails, upgrading five miles of Davis Creek Road for street-legal vehicle use, and closing and restoring 11 miles of other trails.

Under the proposal, the agency would construct about one mile of new OHV trail to preserve loop routes on existing OHV trails and correct water quality problems. In addition, seasonal closure of the entire system from January 1 to March 31 would be continued to prevent rutting and excessive sedimentation during winter wet and freeze-thaw periods. Temporary closures would be implemented after high rainfall events to prevent excessive erosion.

"No decisions have been made at this point and the proposed action is just a starting point for additional dialogue among all interested parties and a beginning of the formal environmental analysis process," stated Lohr.

For the next 30 days, the Forest Service will be inviting public comment on this proposal, which may be found at http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm. Comments may be sent to the Tusquitee District Ranger, 123 Woodland Drive, Murphy, NC 28906. Comments may also be sent via email to comments-southern-north-carolina-nan...itee@fs.fed.us.

THE COMMENT DEADLINE IS JULY 9, 2008

Interested parties are also encouraged to attend a public open house with informational displays where participants will be able to ask questions, learn more about the proposal and submit written comments and suggestions.

The Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle Trail System Open House on new Trail Management Proposal is scheduled for Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:00 PM until 4:00 PM. It will be held at the First Baptist Church, 517 Hiwassee Street, Murphy, NC. The church is located at the intersection of US 74-19 and Hiwassee Street in Murphy (across the street from McDonald's); entrance for the open house will be marked. Individuals may come anytime during the open house hours.

For additional information about the open house, contact Candace Wyman at 828-837-5152 extension 113, or go to http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm

Thanks in advance for your support,
Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

Get BRC's Latest News & Alerts via RSS!
http://feeds.feedburner.com/BlueRibbonCoalition

2004 Jeep Rubicon Yellow, 35" KM2, 4.5" Lift
1991 Jeep Cherokee Limited 33" KM1/2, 4" lift
Founder of Georgia Crawlers 4x4 Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 PM
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I will be sure to send an email. I wish I could attend the meeting but I have to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 AM
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have sent a letter via email, snail mail, mailed in the survey and got on the website and did the form letter thing. Wont be able to make the meeting so I am doing everything else I can.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking at the proposed trail system and the flow will be awkward.
They're eliminating most of the connecting trails that shorten some of the longer loops; we'll be committed to the long way around.

I sent an email to Steve Lohr.

Safety fast,

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller

Last edited by Hilldweller; 06-26-2008 at 08:58 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
GSW

Exclamation

Bump for the Open House tomorrow.

Click the link in my sig to put together a letter, whether you can attend the meeting or not.

92 YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.