Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Heading to Outer Banks (Nags Head) soon... 14th-16th

3K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  MacK 
#1 ·
I will be heading to Nags Head in NC on Nov 14th to the 16th, mainly for a fishing trip.

I been there a LONG time ago, I was so young I don't even remember. I want you guys to tell me the cheapest place to stay (I don't need anything fancy) and the best beach to drive on. I'm mainly going down for fishing.

I'm excited because I already know every beach in my state so well that it's boring now :thumbsup:

If anyone wants to meet up let me know! :2thumbsup: It's only 250 miles away so in my JK one tank of gas will do ;)

What are some supplies I should have? I already have a shovel, tow rope, jack, tire gauge, etc. Is the sand really soft there? I go to areas where the sand is extremely soft, and I don't let air out (yes I know I'm lazy).. will I need to do it at nags head?

Are they any kind of permits I need to get, if so how much?

#2 ·
So no one lives near the outer banks or been there? ;)

#3 ·
I haven't been in a couple of years, but if it's been a long time since you went things have changed. Depending on the size of your tires, you may need to air down, I have 35" tires and don't need to. There are areas with extremely soft sand. Of course, I've used to go there all the time, and I've never been stuck (with 4 different vehicles, I have pulled out plenty of trucks, though.) There is an free air up station at the Coast Guard station at Oregon Inlet (right across the road from the entrance to the beach.) You can also air up at the Texaco Station at Buxton.

The bad news: You can't just drive down the beach the entire length from the Rodanthe area all the way to Buxton, or from Cape Point to the Hatteras Inlet like you were able to 10 years ago. They have divided the beach in to little 2 mile segments around each entrance, and you can't travel from one segment to another without going on highway 12. Furthermore, there was a big lawsuit here in NC about closing the beach all together. I think it's still open in places, but they shut down a lot to protect the Piping Plover and the sea turtles.

You might want to check out the NCBBA website (www.ncbba.org) for more info about current closures.

#4 ·
Thanks. I still don't think the beach is much softer then the ones I'm used to. I'll know when I get there, I have stocky 17" and right now my Jeep runs really GOOD on the beach soft or not, it's like concrete.. and I pulled a few trucks out myself ;) gotta love Jeeps

That sucks about the closure... is there any better spots to go besides Hatteras?

#6 ·
Very awsome place... I used to wheel down there a LOT when I was stationed in VA. If you have any questions about the place check out Dark side Off-Road.com. Thats the group I used to wheel with a lot when I was still there. They are all pretty cool guys and very familiar with the area...

#7 ·
Thanks - I'm excited. I know the fishing in NC is great, but I can't wait to experience a new off road place in my Jeep (I haven't had it a year yet). I hit 5k on the BEACH, 10K on the BEACH, 15k on the BEACH, and 20k ON THE BEACH!!! It's a beachin Jeep!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608085

Can't wait :) I'll get as many pictures. If anyone will be there let me know!

#8 ·
I go about once or twice a year, been doin it since i was born with my father. If your stock you might wanna take some air out of the tires, sometimes you dont think it looks that soft and then your stuck. I've seen more stuck trucks and jeeps out there and when i stop they tell me they didnt take air out. The hippies got some of the beaches closed, and now you cant even ride at night in some places. Im pretty sure you can still have fires on the beach. I also think you have to buy a permit to fish, which is new. I would call the park service and find out. Other then that, its an awesome place and def my favorite place to go, heres some pics of mine for ya....

Like 5 years ago when my jeep was stock!!! whoa

dads rubicon and sisters FJ

as for the fishing, i usually catch a variety of things, but throw everything back..

ok thats all, i could go on forever haha, wish i could go down with ya, sure it wont be too long before im down there

#9 ·
Nice :) 14th can't come any faster :p

#10 ·
#11 ·
It depends on where your going wheelin and fishing, Im usually down in hatteras and buxton, then take the ferry to ocracoke island. If i go with my pops we stay at the marlin motel. If i go down with friends its the campsite. I like being more south. up by kitty hawk and kill devil hills seem more tourist type.

#12 ·
Nags Head & Hatteras

Dude you are going to love it down there! I'm jealous....the blues should be running.......it will still be warm enough to jump in and out quickly!

check out these guys as far as what's open and not open - they are the North Carolina Beach Buggy Association....good bunch of folks :thumbsup:
http://www.ncbba.org/

also this site may have some info for you on "current' beach closures...

http://www.islandfreepress.org/

Have FUN! The sand is not bad at all down there...like the others said...air down...bring a shovel...and an air compressor b/c usually there is nothing close if you need to air back up....tow straps, etc....it's fun but not hazardous unless you get to drunk and back close up to the surf and the tide rolls in...me and a bud had to pull out a suburban down there after tide rolled it...took both my cherokee and his bronco to pull that big monster out....recovery down there is HIGH DOLLAR...

Definitely obey what the law says...the rangers down there will fine the hell out of you if they catch you running in the dunes or running > 25 mph...or driving drunk...they play no games...

#13 ·
From the pictures the sand is the same as up here, so I'm not worried at all and probably won't air down. I can run 3rd gear if I wanted to with no issues and the sand is thick.

#14 ·
There are a couple of sections where the sand is really soft. One of those places is the entrance to the Oregon Inlet OHV area. There is also one section of beach along Oregon Inlet where it's really soft. I pulled out a tow truck pulling out a Dodge 1/2 ton with my 82 Cherokee (SJ/360) in this area. Bad part about this second area is it floods at high tide, so you have to be careful. If you make it through the entrance section at Oregon Inlet, you'll probably be OK everywhere. If you start to bog down there, immediately stop and air down before you get to the questionable/dangerous section.

The other really bad spot is now no longer accessible thanks to the endangered birds, it was at the small, unnamed cape just north of Rodanthe, again the problem was the beach narrowed here and would overwash at high tide.

#15 ·
Yea but it wasn't a Jeep :laugh:

I already put my Jeep up a 5 foot beach dune (straight drop off) to see if it would get stuck... result: failed.

I may let air out if I decide to do a long drive, easier and lets off stress. Has anyone been to Corolla?

#16 ·
i've been everywhere ha, you should def air down just a little, they recommend something like 15lbs, but thats just little too much unless your really having problems. Drop em down to around 20-23, that way you'll still be able to drive to get air with no problems. Most the places down there have free air. Just play it safe, its just no fun getting stuck in sand, sometimes it turns into hours of digging.

#17 ·
I lived in Kill devil hills for a long time. I like the north beach much better then the souther beaches. Its a longer run of open beach and there is a lot of wild horses. There are a lot of what we called "tourons" but that time of year there is not a lot of people any where on the banks. Sand is softer up on the north beach. I had a job that I had to drive about 45 miles of the north beaches off road every couple of days. I loved it knew all the great spots up there and got to know the rangers very well. Dont play around with them any where this time of year theres not alot of people to write tickets to so they are tough on the rules. Have fun and be safe.:cheers2:

#18 ·
I will thank you guys!

#19 ·
I've been to Corolla several times..... actually rent a house 3 mile up the beach. There are no roads to the house, you have to drive on the beach just to get to it.

Take route 12 all the way north of Nags, KDH, etc to Corolla. It is much less developed up there but has developed greatly in the last 5 years.

I also prefer the north beaches.

This was the view from the front porch of the house I rented.

Here's a video of us coming off the paved road onto the beach and driving north towards the house we rented. Sort of ironic that the song on the CD player is the Travelling Wilburys "End of the Line" as we actually meet the end of the line. http://video.cardomain.com/Clip.aspx?key=61976CF9DE816D3E

#20 ·
Wow cool picture, nice dogs! I have one big German Shepard. I don't take him to the beach because he's over protective and likes to attack people! Even though he's a big teddy bear any other time..

Video is pretty cool, that's what the beach around here is like pretty much. I've accomplished every Delaware beach, and they aren't fun anymore.. I've smoothed 5-foot drop off hill, so I need a new place to enjoy ;)! I'm still finding a hotel, think I'll be alright just to head down and find a hotel instead of booking one?

#21 ·
this time of year, you should have no problem at all. and you wont find any hills down there, if you touch a dune they will shoot you, well maybe not that but a ticket will most likely follow. They have always had a problem with the up keeping on all the dunes down there so they take it pretty seriously, just a heads up

#22 ·
Of course, it's like that here and they usually have a fence blocking it :) I wouldn't do that anyhow I respect the places I go and the creatures that live there :thumbsup:

#23 ·
My wife and I vacation in Corova every year now and we love it. I don't think there is a better place to stay at the OBX. And no you don't need to air down. My Honda did just fine at stock PSI and so did my Jeep. (We did air down this time because we brought some NOOB friends with us and wanted them to get used to it.)

I plan on buying property there soon when I pay my house down some more.

You can check out the southern sound beaches too

They even have a fire dept/ rescue squad up there

#24 ·
Nice. Very nice pictures stop you're making me excited!

#26 ·
great fun this is. houses this time of year arent expensive either. and you dont have to worry about flies and such. my stock wj did just fine. was on the floor in some real deep sand once and had to stop, backup and switch ruts and made it out okay. 245 width destination at's no air out of them. just dont haul through the puddles back in the neighborhoods, there deep.

edit: seeing those firetrucks that are 4wd was interesting to me. i loved driving through the neighborhoods.

#27 ·
That's what I want to do, drive through the neighborhoods and check out the place so I can go again but know where to go to have more fun :2thumbsup:

#28 ·
Be careful where you go back there though. When you go farther north the law seems to not apply any more. "shoot first ask questions later" is the only law. If you see a "No trespassing" sign it would be in your best interest to obey it. Not trying to scare you just pay attention.

#29 ·
Since you asked for some more

There are some VERY nice houses out there

Be VERY careful with these. They can be very deceiving. This one put water OVER the hood of my Jeep.

If you go to the right spot the beach is open for miles seemingly.

Yes you can drive a little ways into Virginia on the beach

This guy has been there for a long time now

That's all for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.