Few questions about Uwharrie.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Few questions about Uwharrie..

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Few questions about Uwharrie..

I'm planning on making a camping trip to Uwharrie late November/early Decemeber w/ my girlfriend for a weekend of wheeling. I'm trying to gather some info for some stuff as I've never been to an OHV park so I've got some questions...

First off, what is the address I should look at to get to the OHV park? Like what should I put into Google Maps to find the place?

Since we're not going in a huge group of people, do I just drive the trails myself solo or does everyone there wait and have a guide take a lot of people through at once?

As it will be freezing cold out, what are some recommended hotels nearby to stay the night at?

My Jeep has a 3" FT lift and 33" TSL radials and that's pretty much it, is there anything else that is a necessity to have or bring along before we go? I don't want to take the bypass around every obstacle there.

And one last thing I wanted to know was are there any good scenic areas worth seeing while there?

Any comments are appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
ncjeepinyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757
Since we're not going in a huge group of people, do I just drive the trails myself solo or does everyone there wait and have a guide take a lot of people through at once?

My one recomendation to you is to go to the outpost(gas station right there) in the morning before you go wheeling. There are always plenty of people there getting their groups together, airing down their tires and stuff. Find a group to tag along with. Most people dont mind having others joing their group. If you do wait til December to go, the last day to go wheeling is Dec 14th because they close the trails at 8:00 am on the 15th.
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
georgesxj

The town of Troy is about a 20 minute drive from the trails so that would be your best bet for a hotel. I would say camping adds to the experience. There are some pretty nice campsites at uwharrie that have bathrooms close and running water and everything.

You can go by yourself if you want but cell phone receptions isn't very good so if something goes wrong with your rig then it may be a little while before someone else drives by to help you out so it may be better to meet up with someone.

When you get there you will have to stop by a one of the plases that sells passes and buy one and make sure to get a map. You should easily be able to do all of the easy and even medium trails there so just start easy and move up. I have 31's on a 3.5" lift and i've done every trail there without too many problems.

Uwharrie isn't really like a "park". It's more of just a bunch of trails (horse trails, hiking trails, dirt roads) so it's just kinda get there and find on the map where you want to try and just go.

The outpost is a good place to start, gas up, get a pass and a map. It's right past reservation road if your comming from the town of Troy on Hwy 109. Just check out google maps and look up troy NC and follow 109 up to where it says uwharrie.

Good luck man and hope you have fun, I always have and you may even see me there
Custom rack and rails
Hella 4000's on top
and lots of problems to still work out

We all like jeep pics
georgesxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

executive inn in biscoe is $40 per night..... i think that's the name anyway... we call it the Roach Coach

-Erik <---- has also stayed at the Days inn right at the hwy, nice place and not that much more expensive, but it's a farther drive....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i just got back last night from spending the weekend there, i dont know about hotels because we camped, but i had a blast, i have a 2 inch lift and ran my 32" ssr's aired down to about 15, and did great, i made it up almost everything, of course theres some parts that you can choose a line that is really hard but are very easy to get around, be sure to get a map and understand it, i was following my friend who had studied the map so i didnt think twice about where we were going,
it was very dry this past weekend, and if it rains every thing gets alot harder,
Unread 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bring everything you can possibly think of to fix a breakdown. I have been to URE twice and both times have experienced breakdowns on rigs that were simple but put us out until they were fixed. Bring a good assortment of simple hand tools and a spare tire. A jeep on 33's can easily make every trail there.
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Post on here when you are going and I am sure you will find someone to ride with. I am always up for some trails!
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
john NC
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptillidie
. A jeep on 33's can easily make every trail there.

i made it through every trail except daniel (didn't even try) when i first got my jeep and it was completely stock on 30" GSAs, in the rain

just have to pick your lines carefully

it's a ton of fun, i'm hoping to get back soon
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john NC

i made it through every trail except daniel (didn't even try) when i first got my jeep and it was completely stock on 30" GSAs, in the rain

So did I and the tires were slick as owl ****! I think Daniel would definitely be a good challenge on 30's though.
Unread 11-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john NC

if it was dry you should have tried daniel. you could have done it
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
tc'sjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptillidie
Bring everything you can possibly think of to fix a breakdown. I have been to URE twice and both times have experienced breakdowns on rigs that were simple but put us out until they were fixed. Bring a good assortment of simple hand tools and a spare tire. A jeep on 33's can easily make every trail there.

You may want to invest in a small air compressor. I was the one who got the flat on the trip and you are miles from anywhere when you are on the trails. I would also recommend a plug kit, that is what got me home...

Unread 11-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc'sjeep
You may want to invest in a small air compressor. I was the one who got the flat on the trip and you are miles from anywhere when you are on the trails. I would also recommend a plug kit, that is what got me home...

I'll be there the weekend of December 1st

I've got about $250, anything I should add to the Jeep before then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tools. Just bring every tool you think you wont need. And bring a gallon of water. It makes fixing dirty crap a lot easier.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.