Cape Lookout Beach Camping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Cape Lookout Beach Camping

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.com

Unread 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Skennedy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cape Lookout Beach Camping

Just found Cape Lookout on the Internet .....I'm from Florida and was wanting some opinions on the area and on the beach camping situation .

Skennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
twojacks
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

I haven't camped out there since I was a kid (20+ yrs ago) and haven't been out there in a couple years.
Generally, Cape Lookout is great place to spend a day. However, there are a few points to keep in mind.
No cars on the island (however there are a couple and a few ATV's some inhabitants own), so you either get there by boat or ferry, then have to hump it beach side along with all your gear. There's nothing there except what you bring, so from that point of view it's fantastic if you really want to get away (quiet nights). Beach camping is what it is, and very dependent on the wind/weather.

If you're looking for a slightly more accessible alternative for "beach camping", you can try Freeman Park in Carolina Beach (Wilmington) or head out to Ocracoke or Hatteras.
Almost all locations will have limitations on campfires (normally below the high-tide line), but at least you can have something.

Good luck!
twojacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
kntnrml
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojacks View Post
Welcome!

I haven't camped out there since I was a kid (20+ yrs ago) and haven't been out there in a couple years.
Generally, Cape Lookout is great place to spend a day. However, there are a few points to keep in mind.
No cars on the island (however there are a couple and a few ATV's some inhabitants own), so you either get there by boat or ferry, then have to hump it beach side along with all your gear. There's nothing there except what you bring, so from that point of view it's fantastic if you really want to get away (quiet nights). Beach camping is what it is, and very dependent on the wind/weather.

If you're looking for a slightly more accessible alternative for "beach camping", you can try Freeman Park in Carolina Beach (Wilmington) or head out to Ocracoke or Hatteras.
Almost all locations will have limitations on campfires (normally below the high-tide line), but at least you can have something.

Good luck!

Pretty much everything stated here is incorrect…

There are no inhabitants on the island other than park rangers as it is a national park. You CAN drive on the island for most of it's entire length on the beach with the exception of roped off area's. Davis Shore Ferry Service and one other service run ferries to get vehicles to and from the island for a fee. There are several other passenger only ferries. Once on the island, you may camp nearly anywhere except for in the cabin area, the woods near the lighthouse and the village. The only thing you can purchase on the island is ice and fuel from the NPS near the ferry dock. The folks running the ferry will bring over other items by request occasionally but it'll cost you.

I try to spend about 2 weeks a yr out there so if there are any questions I could likely answer them, just ask.

few pics from the island..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.