Camping near Chimney Rock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > Camping near Chimney Rock

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Camping near Chimney Rock

Can ya'll suggest any good camping areas near Chimney Rock? From the website, it doesn't appear that there are any sites in the chimney rock park itself.

The more remote/primitive the better.

Sent from my TJ

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

There is no camping anywhere inside the park unfortunately. There are great cabins/motels along the riverside which is beautiful. I don't camp down there at all, but I'm sure there are plenty of camping sites around the area. If you haven't ever been there, the town is only about 2 miles long and then you hit nothingness, so the whole town is pretty remote lol. When are you coming up to the area?
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos
There is no camping anywhere inside the park unfortunately. There are great cabins/motels along the riverside which is beautiful. I don't camp down there at all, but I'm sure there are plenty of camping sites around the area. If you haven't ever been there, the town is only about 2 miles long and then you hit nothingness, so the whole town is pretty remote lol. When are you coming up to the area?
We're working in Charlotte and plan on visiting the area one weekend this month. We've not set anything in stone, but hopefully soon.

I've found a handful of campgrounds in the surrounding area, but was hoping someone knew of a state park or national park in the vicinity that allowed camping. Even if its up to an hour or so away, it'd be fine.

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0

We're working in Charlotte and plan on visiting the area one weekend this month. We've not set anything in stone, but hopefully soon.

I've found a handful of campgrounds in the surrounding area, but was hoping someone knew of a state park or national park in the vicinity that allowed camping. Even if its up to an hour or so away, it'd be fine.

Sent from my TJ
Well in that case. Check out pisgah, about an hour northwest and well worth the drive. The mountains up there are beautiful and there is tons of backcountry camping. If you are wanting to road camp, get there earlier in the day to find a campsite. Go to the park rangers office(on your right about 2 miles into pisgah) and get a map of roadside campsites. I would definitely say its worth it to go up there. And hit the blue ridge parkway also if you are up there. Are you mostly wanting to visit chimney rock? Or what are wanting to visit?
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mostly we're wanting to get away from the hotel we're living in for a weekend to somewhere with pretty scenery.

I MUCH prefer isolated camping to campground style areas. If the road side camping is dispersed, pisgah may be ideal.

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0
Mostly we're wanting to get away from the hotel we're living in for a weekend to somewhere with pretty scenery.

I MUCH prefer isolated camping to campground style areas. If the road side camping is dispersed, pisgah may be ideal.

Sent from my TJ
Well in that case, pisgah is your best option. Go to the entrance through Brevard and there are tons of camping. Just be sure to stop at the ranger station for maps(campsite map is free) and get there afternoon-late evening before all the spots are taken. Other than pisgah, there isn't any backcountry camping besides actual campsites. Also, check out black balsam, easy hike with amazing views.
I live in Hendersonville and go up that way all the time. Probably the best camping in the whole area. PM me when you come up if you want to meet near Hendersonville and I can show you on a map or suggest places to you. Or I might go up there sometime soon lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.