2nd Annual Spring Uwharrie OHV Jamboree - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Carolina Jeep Forum > 2nd Annual Spring Uwharrie OHV Jamboree

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #181
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... Just saw this. Kodak was the only place to turn on a locker out there, that is too bad.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #182
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Wow... Just saw this. Kodak was the only place to turn on a locker out there, that is too bad.
To my understanding, guardrail needs to go up on the sides of that trail to keep the illegal bypassing down to a minimum. Looks like all it will take is people getting around to doing some trail maintenance, and it can be reopened. Workday, anyone?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #183
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

To my understanding, guardrail needs to go up on the sides of that trail to keep the illegal bypassing down to a minimum. Looks like all it will take is people getting around to doing some trail maintenance, and it can be reopened. Workday, anyone?
To my knowledge there is no guarantee that the trail will be reopened if that is accomplished, plus it is going to cost a ton of money to get enough rails to do both sides of that trail. I hope the trail does get reopened, but based on past trail closures it is gone for good...
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #184
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
To my knowledge there is no guarantee that the trail will be reopened if that is accomplished, plus it is going to cost a ton of money to get enough rails to do both sides of that trail. I hope the trail does get reopened, but based on past trail closures it is gone for good...
Actually, I'll disagree: there is a guarantee that it won't get reopened, and that's if people don't do anything. I hope it gets reopened as well, but - and please don't take this as a slam in your direction, because it isn't - I'm not going to expect ANYTHING to happen if all I do is sit around hoping for the best. Example: I really hope that I have some fabbed 9's under my rig one day...but unless I do something to make that happen, it won't.

I'm not really up on the details of all of this, but to the best of my current understanding the Forest Service has said that it's in the hands of the OHV crowd to do the work that's required to keep the trails open. If we want a place to play we're going to have to work to make one and keep it available. That might not seem fair or right or proper or easy, but it's how things are because the FS has laid down the law.

You've got a good point in that it'll take a lot of time and effort and that there's no guarantee that it will work...but that's pretty much par for the course for every single aspect of this hobby that we all enjoy so much. To that end, I'm going to do my research on the matter over the weekend and start making phone calls on Monday. I hope I'm not the only one that does so, and that has the motivation to get out there and work so that we can ALL enjoy the place a bit more.

Unread 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #185
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

Actually, I'll disagree: there is a guarantee that it won't get reopened, and that's if people don't do anything. I hope it gets reopened as well, but - and please don't take this as a slam in your direction, because it isn't - I'm not going to expect ANYTHING to happen if all I do is sit around hoping for the best. Example: I really hope that I have some fabbed 9's under my rig one day...but unless I do something to make that happen, it won't.

I'm not really up on the details of all of this, but to the best of my current understanding the Forest Service has said that it's in the hands of the OHV crowd to do the work that's required to keep the trails open. If we want a place to play we're going to have to work to make one and keep it available. That might not seem fair or right or proper or easy, but it's how things are because the FS has laid down the law.

You've got a good point in that it'll take a lot of time and effort and that there's no guarantee that it will work...but that's pretty much par for the course for every single aspect of this hobby that we all enjoy so much. To that end, I'm going to do my research on the matter over the weekend and start making phone calls on Monday. I hope I'm not the only one that does so, and that has the motivation to get out there and work so that we can ALL enjoy the place a bit more.
I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to say we should sit back and accept it, just that right now it is still speculation as to what needs to be done, and if the trail even has a future. Even if we do everything we can (which I'm sure we will regardless) it may not be enough when we have people/groups/organizations with much more power and influence than us working against us to close down our trails. Look at what happened to Tellico. It's a sad truth but we have to deal with it. Truthfully, I'm surprised it took this long for something like this to happen at URE. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved and the trail opened back up, otherwise this is the beginning of the end for URE...
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #186
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to say we should sit back and accept it, just that right now it is still speculation as to what needs to be done, and if the trail even has a future. Even if we do everything we can (which I'm sure we will regardless) it may not be enough when we have people/groups/organizations with much more power and influence than us working against us to close down our trails. Look at what happened to Tellico. It's a sad truth but we have to deal with it. Truthfully, I'm surprised it took this long for something like this to happen at URE. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved and the trail opened back up, otherwise this is the beginning of the end for URE...
And we certainly don't want that to be the case, which is why we have to figure out what to do and then make sure it gets done.

Unread 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #187
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are y'all planning on doing Daniel Saturday? If so, what time? Me and my dad will probably be at uwharrie around 9ish. But if y'all were going earlier or something you don't have to wait for me.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #188
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Are y'all planning on doing Daniel Saturday? If so, what time? Me and my dad will probably be at uwharrie around 9ish. But if y'all were going earlier or something you don't have to wait for me.

I'll be camping on Daniel. We can just meet you at the outpost, assuming I am awake yet.
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #189
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid

I'll be camping on Daniel. We can just meet you at the outpost, assuming I am awake yet.
Lol I'm not rushing or anything like that I just don't know what everyone's plans are.

Unread 03-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #190
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I plan on meeting up with jank Friday afternoon/evening and camping there as well so I'll be there too.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #191
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet. I'll keep y'all informed

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #192
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What's the popularity of the trails after dusk? My wife really wants to turn on the KC's and do some night driving on the easier trails.

SEMPER FI
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #193
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
What's the popularity of the trails after dusk? My wife really wants to turn on the KC's and do some night driving on the easier trails.
Normally there isn't much traffic at night, not sure about a busy weekend though. Shouldn't make much of a difference though.
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #194
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What's the locale stores and distances? Like should load up on ice and perishables before heading the 3 1/2 hours out there or is there a walmart nearby I can by the food stuff at?

SEMPER FI
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #195
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Walmarts 15-20 min in Albemarle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.