2nd Annual Spring Uwharrie OHV Jamboree - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,890
Wow... Just saw this. Kodak was the only place to turn on a locker out there, that is too bad.


REDLYNER Racing #4410


Rugged Radios * Raceline Wheels * DynoMax Exhaust * Motor Trenz * Polar Bear Coolers


Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: redlynerracing
REDLYNER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Wow... Just saw this. Kodak was the only place to turn on a locker out there, that is too bad.
To my understanding, guardrail needs to go up on the sides of that trail to keep the illegal bypassing down to a minimum. Looks like all it will take is people getting around to doing some trail maintenance, and it can be reopened. Workday, anyone?

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #183 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

To my understanding, guardrail needs to go up on the sides of that trail to keep the illegal bypassing down to a minimum. Looks like all it will take is people getting around to doing some trail maintenance, and it can be reopened. Workday, anyone?
To my knowledge there is no guarantee that the trail will be reopened if that is accomplished, plus it is going to cost a ton of money to get enough rails to do both sides of that trail. I hope the trail does get reopened, but based on past trail closures it is gone for good...
Jankoid is offline  
post #184 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
To my knowledge there is no guarantee that the trail will be reopened if that is accomplished, plus it is going to cost a ton of money to get enough rails to do both sides of that trail. I hope the trail does get reopened, but based on past trail closures it is gone for good...
Actually, I'll disagree: there is a guarantee that it won't get reopened, and that's if people don't do anything. I hope it gets reopened as well, but - and please don't take this as a slam in your direction, because it isn't - I'm not going to expect ANYTHING to happen if all I do is sit around hoping for the best. Example: I really hope that I have some fabbed 9's under my rig one day...but unless I do something to make that happen, it won't.

I'm not really up on the details of all of this, but to the best of my current understanding the Forest Service has said that it's in the hands of the OHV crowd to do the work that's required to keep the trails open. If we want a place to play we're going to have to work to make one and keep it available. That might not seem fair or right or proper or easy, but it's how things are because the FS has laid down the law.

You've got a good point in that it'll take a lot of time and effort and that there's no guarantee that it will work...but that's pretty much par for the course for every single aspect of this hobby that we all enjoy so much. To that end, I'm going to do my research on the matter over the weekend and start making phone calls on Monday. I hope I'm not the only one that does so, and that has the motivation to get out there and work so that we can ALL enjoy the place a bit more.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #185 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

Actually, I'll disagree: there is a guarantee that it won't get reopened, and that's if people don't do anything. I hope it gets reopened as well, but - and please don't take this as a slam in your direction, because it isn't - I'm not going to expect ANYTHING to happen if all I do is sit around hoping for the best. Example: I really hope that I have some fabbed 9's under my rig one day...but unless I do something to make that happen, it won't.

I'm not really up on the details of all of this, but to the best of my current understanding the Forest Service has said that it's in the hands of the OHV crowd to do the work that's required to keep the trails open. If we want a place to play we're going to have to work to make one and keep it available. That might not seem fair or right or proper or easy, but it's how things are because the FS has laid down the law.

You've got a good point in that it'll take a lot of time and effort and that there's no guarantee that it will work...but that's pretty much par for the course for every single aspect of this hobby that we all enjoy so much. To that end, I'm going to do my research on the matter over the weekend and start making phone calls on Monday. I hope I'm not the only one that does so, and that has the motivation to get out there and work so that we can ALL enjoy the place a bit more.
I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to say we should sit back and accept it, just that right now it is still speculation as to what needs to be done, and if the trail even has a future. Even if we do everything we can (which I'm sure we will regardless) it may not be enough when we have people/groups/organizations with much more power and influence than us working against us to close down our trails. Look at what happened to Tellico. It's a sad truth but we have to deal with it. Truthfully, I'm surprised it took this long for something like this to happen at URE. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved and the trail opened back up, otherwise this is the beginning of the end for URE...
Jankoid is offline  
post #186 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to say we should sit back and accept it, just that right now it is still speculation as to what needs to be done, and if the trail even has a future. Even if we do everything we can (which I'm sure we will regardless) it may not be enough when we have people/groups/organizations with much more power and influence than us working against us to close down our trails. Look at what happened to Tellico. It's a sad truth but we have to deal with it. Truthfully, I'm surprised it took this long for something like this to happen at URE. Hopefully we can get this issue resolved and the trail opened back up, otherwise this is the beginning of the end for URE...
And we certainly don't want that to be the case, which is why we have to figure out what to do and then make sure it gets done.


If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #187 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Are y'all planning on doing Daniel Saturday? If so, what time? Me and my dad will probably be at uwharrie around 9ish. But if y'all were going earlier or something you don't have to wait for me.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #188 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Are y'all planning on doing Daniel Saturday? If so, what time? Me and my dad will probably be at uwharrie around 9ish. But if y'all were going earlier or something you don't have to wait for me.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
I'll be camping on Daniel. We can just meet you at the outpost, assuming I am awake yet.
Jankoid is offline  
post #189 of 457 Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid

I'll be camping on Daniel. We can just meet you at the outpost, assuming I am awake yet.
Lol I'm not rushing or anything like that I just don't know what everyone's plans are.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #190 of 457 Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 AM
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS
 
LifeProof's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MCB Camp Lejeune
Posts: 1,384
I plan on meeting up with jank Friday afternoon/evening and camping there as well so I'll be there too.
LifeProof is offline  
post #191 of 457 Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Sweet. I'll keep y'all informed

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #192 of 457 Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS
 
LifeProof's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MCB Camp Lejeune
Posts: 1,384
What's the popularity of the trails after dusk? My wife really wants to turn on the KC's and do some night driving on the easier trails.
LifeProof is offline  
post #193 of 457 Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
What's the popularity of the trails after dusk? My wife really wants to turn on the KC's and do some night driving on the easier trails.
Normally there isn't much traffic at night, not sure about a busy weekend though. Shouldn't make much of a difference though.
Jankoid is offline  
post #194 of 457 Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS
 
LifeProof's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MCB Camp Lejeune
Posts: 1,384
What's the locale stores and distances? Like should load up on ice and perishables before heading the 3 1/2 hours out there or is there a walmart nearby I can by the food stuff at?
LifeProof is offline  
post #195 of 457 Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
sjones26573
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Walmarts 15-20 min in Albemarle

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome