Whats the best place in Kentucky? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Kentucky Jeep Forum > Whats the best place in Kentucky?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
jesse18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

We are riding this sunday. Come on down. We are 2 hours from Louisville.

Unread 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse18 View Post
We are riding this sunday. Come on down. We are 2 hours from Louisville.
I had planned on going on Zoe run (Slade) on Saturday, but that isn't going to happen.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
jesse18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Come on down man. I can meet you in the city and you can follow me out.
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My dad lives in Lebanon and have been thinking of bringing my Jeep down there when I go see him for a week in the middle of July (or drive my CJ7 IF it is road worthy by then).

Any place near there? My YJ is no longer driven on the roads so I will trailer it down-
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
mhardw3
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for bringing this back. I got out of jeeps when my 2nd son was coming but he's almost 4 and I'm lifting my 4runner this weekend for a trip next month to a still to be decided off road park
03 ZX6R stunt bike
mhardw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
cutngut
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wishbone ranch in bowling green is worth a trip. Check the Facebook page for dates. Lots of rocks! Pretty awesome. Lodging available. Im heading there next month.
cutngut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
WXman
2001 WJ 

I've been to:

Turkey Bay OHV area (west KY)
Black Mountain trails, sometimes called "Harlan Trails" (east KY)
Badlands (Attica, IN)
Big Rock park (northeast KY)
Wooly's Offroad (Lynnville, TN)
Hillz-N-Hollarz (central KY)
Dirty Turtle (northeast KY)
Windrock (east TN)
Sharp's ATV park (southern KY)

I have wheeled ATVs, pickups, and Jeeps at these parks. I generally like to pitch a tent and camp while I'm there. Sometimes the wife and kids go, sometimes they don't. Honestly, I don't like rock crawling and I don't like extreme hardcore trails like the buggy guys enjoy. I'm more of a mud, creek crossings, challenging dirt, twisty off camber, scenic trails kind of guy. I like stuff that you absolutely need 4x4 to accomplish, but that won't break your rig because I drive my rigs to and from the park and it's usually 2-4 hours one way for me.

With all that said, Turkey Bay OHV area is my #1 favorite place. Up until 2005 it was much much better than it is now. After 2005 the USFS who controls the land started to become liberal, tree-hugging, nanny-state d*cks that spend more time harassing you than letting you enjoy the outdoors. Even with that...it's still the best place in the region. You can swim in KY lake, tent camp next to the creek, have running water access, FAR more trails than any other park, FAR more types of trails from easy to mild to wild, you can hike, boat, see wildlife, take tours, basically do it all right there in one place. You can spend all day on the trails or mix it up. There's something for the entire family and for every kind of 4x4 vehicle. And it's simply a beautiful, well maintained area. It's in a league that private offroad parks simply are not.

The Black Mountain area is probably #2 in my mind simply because it's so big and open and you truly feel like you're riding in the woods whereas a lot of private offroad parks are just farms converted to parks and you can tell it.

Wooly's Offroad is the place you see on Spike TV on Sunday mornings. It's #3 for me. I like that place a lot. Nice trails and good variance in terrains.

Badlands up in Attica is pretty good too but I just don't like driving all the way up to western Indiana and I didn't feel like they had enough mild trails to spend a day on. You've got the "dunes" to play on which gets old after about an hour, you've got hardcore trails where you can sink your Jeep or roll your Jeep, and then you've got a small handful of mild trails that are actually fun for the guys wanting to drive back home. Not quite worth it to me.

The other places in the list I've been to are borderline not even worth going to. You go to one of those places, ride for 2 hours, and you've seen it all.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #23
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have wheeled at the following places:

Turkey Bay OHV area (west KY) (Land Between the Lakes)
Black Mountain trails, sometimes called "Harlan Trails" (east KY)
Badlands (Attica, IN)
Interlake (Lynnville, IN) (122 miles from Louisville, KY)
Dirty Turtle (Trimble County, KY) (approx. 50 miles from Louisville)
Hillz-N-Hollarz (Henry County, KY) (DTOR & HnH, now Mud Madness are wiithin few miles of each other)
Windrock ( Oak Ridge, TN)
Big Rock OHV Park (now closed)
Slade, KY (just East of Lexington, KY) (private runs, Club runs, & Jeep Jams)
Horseshoe OHV Park (now closed)
Wishbone OHV Park in Bowling Green, KY
Pekin, IN. (not really OHV Park, but open to public one weekend / month)
Redbird OHV Park (Southern, IN.)
Haspin Acres OHV Park (I'll never go back here!!)
Williamsburg, KY Jeep Jamboree (Includes Jellico, TN trails)

All these places with the exception of Haspin Acres are nice places to wheel and I am glad that I wheeled at them all. Depending upon what you are looking for, and where you are located, some places are nice local OHV Parks, that are a ton of fun, but I wouldn't drive 200 miles to wheel there on a regular basis. Other places, like Harlan, are a ton of fun, but because of the distance, my opportunity to wheel there is limited. Williamsburg (Gateway to Cumberland Jeep Jams) has some of the nicest trails, "Worser", "No Business", etc., that I have been on, but Jeep Jam only happens once a Year. I have been to some OHV Parks and thought, nothing there for me. Then I go back to same park and run different trails and have a ball.....

My point is, different places are going to fill different needs for you. Like shoes, what feels good to me, probably won't feel good on your feet. Go out, travel, wheel at different parks, find yourself a good local OHV Park or two, find yourself a place or two that is a must return, when you can. Meeting new Jeepers, and experiencing new OHV Parks, is what Jeep Fever is all about.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.