need opinions on KY vs FL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Kentucky Jeep Forum > need opinions on KY vs FL

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

need opinions on KY vs FL

i live in central fl now and i havent had anything go right for me in about 5 years now. well my uncle lives in winchester KY now and offered me a job and somewhere to stay until i get on my feet if i want to move there in september. anyone have some pros and cons for kentucky? never been out of florida before

crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

hey crockett,

i dont know much about winchester but i can tell you, as a transient myself, Ky is great!
I moved here from Atlanta and am now in Louisville. I love it here. Ky is a beautiful state. It's clean, 4 full seasons (something I had to go used to), good jobs, and friendly southern people just like our neck of the woods!
Looks like Winchester is just 20 miles east of Lexington which is home of the Ky Wildcats. Great city and good college town.

Between Ky and Tenn, there are PLEANTY of places to off-road and you might be pleasantly surprised at the terrain changes you'll see between here and Fl.
Your young enough and if your single, make the move man! there's nothing that says you cant move around again! Enjoy youth before the next chapter begins!
I've moved 14 times in my life before starting a family and setteling here. Ive lived in Ga, Fl, SC, NC, and now Ky. Im still south of the Mason-Dixson (barely) which is just fine with me!

Now, since your a Fl boy and im a Ga boy; i have to..........
GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i know that kentucky is a beautiful state and im open to the idea, its just a really big step for me, because all ive ever known is FL. im leaning towards KY but fortunatly i do have until laybor day to think about it and get my money right

roll tide roll!
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

What do you do?

I live in Lexington, also lived in Orlando and Tampa. Lexington has the feeling of downtown Orlando, the size of Brandon, and the traffic of Miami.

Winchster is east of Lex, not that far. and its more akin to Lakeland, FL. Havent figured if the area is at the top of the hills or between two ranges, but it is flat. you have to drive to get to hills. about 1/2 hour in either direction at the minimum.

job scene is like every where else. there is unemployment but there is also work, depending on what you do.

Meth is big here, along with pot (#1 cash crop of KY). but its not real noticable if you are not looking.

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
blake32
1997 TJ Wrangler 

From an off-roading perspective, KY over FL, no contest. Many wheelin' opportunities in KY. FL is pretty much limited to swamping. I have lived in both places, but I have many, many off-roading tales from KY. On the other hand, there is not much else to do here. I miss FL and the coast.
blake32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ive lived in florida for 22 years and im leaning towards KY. the only thing im going to miss is the blow boats and the hogs...
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm from the Orlando area (Grew up in Altamonte Springs and Winter Garden) and now live in Bowling Green KY. I'll never go back except to visit. I moved up here because I had met my wife and she wanted to live near her family. I've been here for about 12 years total and can't find anything bad to say (most of the time).

I will say that there is a state income tax. If you've always lived in FL, it's something you won't be used to and it can take a chunk out of your pay check.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since I live in Winchester...

You're 15 minutes from Lexington which has plenty of entertainment and shopping. You're 30 minutes from Red River Gorge which has wheeling, rock climbing, camping and hiking amongst some of the most scenic areas in the eastern US. You're about 40 minutes from Cave Run Lake to go fish, boat, swim. Winchester is kind of a "meh" town, but it's serviceable.

And since you're a Tide fan, you'll be welcome in Kentucky. The Tide in football is similar to UK in basketball. The tradition and winning of the Alabama football program is greatly respected by the UK basketball folks. There's lots of Crimson fans in KY. And even though UK football isn't the greatest, the tailgating before the ball games is always a blast and amongst the tops in the SEC.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.