Looking to plan a trip to LBL in KY. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Kentucky Jeep Forum > Looking to plan a trip to LBL in KY.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looking to plan a trip to LBL in KY.

Looking for some info on where to stay and what to see if I bring my family to the Land Between the lakes. I would prefer a hotel but can camp if necessary. Ideas for what and what not to see also.

Thanks

Unread 06-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Awesome Place

I just got back from my first trip there this weekend. It's a great place and extremely well done and organized. We camped at the Piney campground which was a good 25 minute drive south from Turkey Bay. Energy Lake would have been a better option with regards to the Turkey Bay OHV area. I'm not too sure on hotels in the area, but maybe someone else can chime in. Great park for everything outdoors.
valkadesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It all depends on how fancy you are. There is the Kenlake Resort ( 1-800-325-0143 ) which is a very nice hotel but I am unsure of the prices and they also have private cabins you can rent. Or on the more reasonable side there is Ken Oaks Resort, which is a reasonable priced place from what I hear maybe $55-65 a night, or the one my wife and I stay in when we go to Jeep Jamboree's which is Lakeland Resort ( lakelandresortky.com ) and they are $45 and up a night. It is not a fancy place AT ALL but it's clean and it has a shower and A/C. All of these places are in Aurora, KY and is about 5 minutes from LBL. Another great place to look is on ( itsajeep.org ) in their forum section as they have Turkey Bay trail ride information and planned trips. Many of them will let you hop in a group with them and you can get a guided tour and don't have to wheel alone. I've been there several times and it's a wonderful place to go!!
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info. Clean and AC sound just right. When we go to Silver Lake MI, we stay in cabins at the campground that only have a small amount of electricity and you still have to use the common shower and bathroom. I'm just not a fan of tents. How are the trails and can you guys recommend any for moderate wheeling? I also saw they added a rock garden. Looks like I may plan a fall trip with the family.
Unread 06-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are lots and lots of trails out there that could be considered moderate. I also think the names used on Jeep Jamboree's are different than the common names used by locals. The best bet is to sign up on the itsajeep.org site, it's free, and ask around on trail names and what time frame you are looking to be there for some other people to go with. There are so many trails and they cut off into others it can be very confusing once you get in the woods. 4-wheelers and dune buggys have really cut the place up. I heard that there will soon be dedicated trails and they are going to be closing off all other side trails to help with conservation and to make a better trail system.
Unread 07-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

We stayed in one of the cabins at the Kenlake resort when we were there for the Jeep Jamboree in May. They are redoing the cabins and we were the first people to stay in ours after it had been redone.

The cabins at Kenlake are around $120 a night for two bedrooms. Ours had a/c, full kitchen (no dishwasher may have been b/c we were in a wheelchair accessible unit) and a real nice screen porch. There was a bbq grille outside also.
Unread 07-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. Lots of good info. I'm looking at maybe a fall trip when it cool off a bit and the leaves change. I'm already heading to Sivler Lake MI this month and looking to LBL for the fall.

The cabins sound right up my alley. I also heard that there are several civil war graveyards near by which I hope to check out.
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
bigalpha
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I live nearby (~35min). I usually enter through the South Welcome Station. They always have maps of the park, with the roads marked on it. Primary, secondary, and tertiary roads. I have not yet been to Turkey Bay, but I've spent a few hours on Saturdays plowing through the 300 trails. So far, it's been pretty awesome.

Definitely get a map. I've found that it's not 100% accurate, but it sure does help.
Unread 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalpha View Post
I live nearby (~35min). I usually enter through the South Welcome Station. They always have maps of the park, with the roads marked on it. Primary, secondary, and tertiary roads. I have not yet been to Turkey Bay, but I've spent a few hours on Saturdays plowing through the 300 trails. So far, it's been pretty awesome.

Definitely get a map. I've found that it's not 100% accurate, but it sure does help.
From your pics it looks like the trails are all two tracks. Are there any obstacles? Thanks for the info on the maps.
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
bigalpha
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The trails I have been on have had no obstacles (big rocks, fallen trees, etc). The only 'obstacles' is the trail itself. There is a lot of the trail that would be mostly flat, but then you can get to a section that has huge divots/ruts/etc.

If you go after it rains, there are many places in the trails that are VERY muddy, or have a huge pool of water. I have a 4.5" lift, and I've hit a few water pockets that have come up to the bumper. HTH
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wup This View Post
From your pics it looks like the trails are all two tracks. Are there any obstacles? Thanks for the info on the maps.
He has been running some of the limited or unmanaged roads that are in LBL. If you go to Turkey Bay it is nothing but hills and obstacles. You can ride for weeks on the secondary roads thru LBL but the hills are in Turkey Bay!
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mox View Post
He has been running some of the limited or unmanaged roads that are in LBL. If you go to Turkey Bay it is nothing but hills and obstacles. You can ride for weeks on the secondary roads thru LBL but the hills are in Turkey Bay!
Are the trails rated like other systems? What is the terrain? Thanks
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They run Jeep Jamborees there so the trails I have been on have had a 1-10 scale. There is anything from 3-8 trails in the area. The terrain is red clay to lots of gravel depending on where you are at in Turkey Bay. Most though have a good gravel base which is good for hill climbs and is great in case of rain before you go because it will dry out quick. This year at the Jeep Jamboree we got run out of the park on Friday afternoon due to severe thunderstorms and after 3" of rain that night we were on the trails by 9am the next morning. If you haven't already looked check out some of the gallery photos on "itsajeep.org" for some pictures of Turkey Bay.
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know on Trucks they had taken their "cheep cherokee" out there and rode some of the trails and they look like somewhat of a challenge. From what I seen on the show they have a lot of trails and a rock garden.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that's where "Trucks" took the Cherokee. I appreciate all the info and when I make down I promise to follow up with pics.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.