Kentucky laws - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Kentucky Jeep Forum > Kentucky laws

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Kentucky laws

I didn't find what I was looking for in the search, so....

I'm thinkin bout goin to school up there, and I need to know if my Jeep is "compatible" with the laws. First off, do I need my catalytic converter? Also, do my flares need to cover my tires? I've heard about vehicle inspections, and people are always *****ing about them. Honestly, I have no clue what they are, but do you guys have them?

Thanks.

oh yeah, are there laws that say a flowmaster is too loud?

Also, are there any other laws that make no sense that I should look out for?

White 95 XJ - Jacked up and abused
White 98 XJ - Stock and babied
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
justchip
2009 JK Wrangler 

I ran my Bronco for years in KY with no cats or mufflers for that matter. You will find the vehicle laws up there are very lenient(sp).
justchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
Th3 Cavalry
1992 XJ Cherokee 

therer is no VET(vehicle emissions testing) here. all u gotta do is just register here. u can run a car that is smoking without getting in trouble :\
[B][U]Electronics[/U][/B]: Sony Xplod CDX-850X Head Unit - 4 Dual Door Speakers 2 Roadmaster 6x9 2 pioneer 4x6s- Insignia 1000W AMP+ 2 12" Kicker CompVRs
[B][U]Mods to come[/U][/B]: 2" lift, 24' Giovanni Rims, cowl Ind. Hood, Billit grill
Th3 Cavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
rich5166
2004 TJ Wrangler 

KY laws vehicle laws should give you no problems. I have seen some awful and unsafe vehicles on the road here.
rich5166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My vehicle inspection consisted of them making sure the vin# matched and that was it.You will only need this one inspection for the life of the vehicle.NO smog laws to worry about either.It's great!

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Eric2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

4WOR did an article on all the state laws that pretain to vehicle hight. You can find it on their website. No fender flare laws here, that I know of. No mudflaps either! As long as you arent unreasonably loud then no one will bother you about your exhaust. Still why make it loud? No one wants to hear it.
Eric2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
notsoclevername

the only thing that I've noticed is that KY "requires" a diver-side mirror, but I run with no doors and never had a problem
notsoclevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #8
piraterig
2004 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
My vehicle inspection consisted of them making sure the vin# matched and that was it.You will only need this one inspection for the life of the vehicle.NO smog laws to worry about either.It's great!
yea but dont venture in the the forsaken lower IL mainly massac co pope co and surrounding areas. the police (mainly to keep their jobs from being cut) will follow you if you have a lifted truck or jeep or have mud tires, also they love ricers. BUT they will look at your mufflers, cats ,measure bumpers, ck mud flaps and fender flares. then write you several tickets. for you to say im registered in ky, i follow ky laws not yours im passing thru. then he will make you tow it back to ky.... my experience. and i have the pleasure of having to commute to work here every day. so i drive a IL friendly rig.
piraterig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Boon get the off road vehicle law site off of hurricane. I might have it let me look

/| ,[___], |--L --[]|||||[]- ()_) ()_)-o-()_)

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Found it even brought up Kentucky for you

http://www.liftlaws.com/kentucky_lift_laws.htm

/| ,[___], |--L --[]|||||[]- ()_) ()_)-o-()_)

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

That's pretty a pretty cool site. Interesting that I've actually broken the minimum headlight height law on one car ages ago and it never occurred to me that might even be a problem! I get pulled over for tint all the time, they warned me for driving my Expedition on a weight restricted road once (it was 250 lbs over the max weight), but they don't even blink up here at my 740il with a smashed front and missing passenger headlight until it gets dark.

In my area (northern KY) they did a VIN inspection at the DMV, however if I was unable to get to the DMV I could have a sheriff perform the inspection at my location. At the DMV it was $5 I think and the sheriff charged me $15 to come out.
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
kevinrocks
1999 WJ 

If registering your vehicle in KY, you need the basics. (working turn signals, horn, windshield wipers, hazard lights, brake lights, headlights, vin matching title) Busted/cracked/smashed windshield will fail you automatically. I seen a guy fail an out of state inspection for the tint being too dark, it has to be pulled off before returning. I think the smaller counties are not as in-depth. I just got my 99 wj, and although its all stock it wasnt hard to pass an inspection. Jefferson co inspection is 5 bucks, sheriff and dmv fees are not together and cash only for sheriff's inspection.
kevinrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

Some of those guys must take their job waaaay serious. My last BMW would never have passed any of those things (broken windshield, smashed turn signal, dented hood, dark tint, no bumper) yet all the guy who did my inspection said was 'This is going to be nice once you're done fixing it up'. He checked the miles and the VIN and signed off on it. Guess it's nice to live in a county that's about 1/7th the size of Louisville sometimes.
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
kevinrocks
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase888 View Post
Some of those guys must take their job waaaay serious. My last BMW would never have passed any of those things (broken windshield, smashed turn signal, dented hood, dark tint, no bumper) yet all the guy who did my inspection said was 'This is going to be nice once you're done fixing it up'. He checked the miles and the VIN and signed off on it. Guess it's nice to live in a county that's about 1/7th the size of Louisville sometimes.
Yeah, they are pretty anal.
kevinrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.