Horseshoe Bend Motorsports? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Kentucky Jeep Forum > Horseshoe Bend Motorsports?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #61
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains View Post
Is the park pretty well maintained? Or is this a blaze your own trail type of place?
No on blazing your own. There are lots of trails and new ones are being made on regular bases.

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #62
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There are some decent videos up on youtube. This guy has several videos up, including some long trail rides there, and some nasty looking mucky videos of a recent weekend when it rained. Here's one of the ones around the park.

XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #63
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah those trails look pretty good. It looks like it will be amazing in the spring and summer.

Do they offer camping down there?
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #64
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY View Post
There are some decent videos up on youtube. This guy has several videos up, including some long trail rides there, and some nasty looking mucky videos of a recent weekend when it rained. Here's one of the ones around the park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9gT8Jy1Tic

Yes on the primitive camping, or bring RV, just no hook ups so you haul it in, you haul it out.

Speaking from personal experience, if you go when it's dry, you will cover a lot of ground and have little to no issues going where ever you desire. If you go when it's wet, one hill can take half a day to winch 6 Jeeps up it.
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #65
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So, apparently they opened Hillz-n-Hollarz back up? It's got a different name now, Mud Madness Motorsports (or something). They're not very clever with their naming down in Lockport it would seem, but I've only heard good things about their terrain. There were a lot of people upset when they closed H-n-H. (for the record, I'm just assuming it's the same place, awaiting confirmation from a local).

I can't find a functional website, but their Facebook page has some pictures, and there are some YouTube videos up from the guy I posted previously. Looks like most everything they posted is a little more difficult than I generally go for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hfwNtEPQBI

Just trying to keep the local scene updated...
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #66
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So, apparently they opened Hillz-n-Hollarz back up? It's got a different name now, Mud Madness Motorsports (or something). They're not very clever with their naming down in Lockport it would seem, but I've only heard good things about their terrain. There were a lot of people upset when they closed H-n-H. (for the record, I'm just assuming it's the same place, awaiting confirmation from a local).

I can't find a functional website, but their Facebook page has some pictures, and there are some YouTube videos up from the guy I posted previously. Looks like most everything they posted is a little more difficult than I generally go for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hfwNtEPQBI

Just trying to keep the local scene updated...
I haven't been on this land for a couple years, but I know for a fact that it is the same land as the old H&H. There are newbie trails that we use to call Hummer trails. At one time in history, I did a lot of trail guiding at H&H. It was a great place for moderate trails. Never lost anyone because trail was too rough.
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #67
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I haven't been on this land for a couple years, but I know for a fact that it is the same land as the old H&H. There are newbie trails that we use to call Hummer trails. At one time in history, I did a lot of trail guiding at H&H. It was a great place for moderate trails. Never lost anyone because trail was too rough.
Good. I just found out it was the same place (have a friend that lives there). I've never been there, and the videos I was finding were sort of rough. But, that's the nature of YouTube videos. No one posts the ones of them driving down a flat dirt road...

Those trails aren't just for hummers and newbs... they're also for those of us who are injured and can't beat themselves up... so, hummers, newbies, and pansies...

I see that you beat me to the announcement all over this local forum. I guess they've been open for a few weeks. Please make sure and give us some pictures and reviews when you go. I find you tend to give more realistic and level-headed evaluations than some people do.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #68
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good. I just found out it was the same place (have a friend that lives there). I've never been there, and the videos I was finding were sort of rough. But, that's the nature of YouTube videos. No one posts the ones of them driving down a flat dirt road...

Those trails aren't just for hummers and newbs... they're also for those of us who are injured and can't beat themselves up... so, hummers, newbies, and pansies...

I see that you beat me to the announcement all over this local forum. I guess they've been open for a few weeks. Please make sure and give us some pictures and reviews when you go. I find you tend to give more realistic and level-headed evaluations than some people do.
My personal experience with trails in that area is, when it's dry, you will go anywhere and everywhere you desire. A little wet, not a big problem, typically. HOWEVER, if it is a whole lot wet, it could take you have a day to climb one hill. The ground in that part of the World (Horsehoe Bend, Mud Madness, etc.) is wet, thick, soupy mud several inches deep, then a rock hard clay like base under this.. The mud soupy layer gets you dirty, the rock hard clay just gets slicker as more tires spin on it. There is nothing for your tires to bite into... If you are not very careful, you can find yourself on the side of a hill, in mud, sliding down hill and having zero control on the direction or speed your vehicle slides. Not fun.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #69
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My personal experience with trails in that area is, when it's dry, you will go anywhere and everywhere you desire. A little wet, not a big problem, typically. HOWEVER, if it is a whole lot wet, it could take you have a day to climb one hill. The ground in that part of the World (Horsehoe Bend, Mud Madness, etc.) is wet, thick, soupy mud several inches deep, then a rock hard clay like base under this.. The mud soupy layer gets you dirty, the rock hard clay just gets slicker as more tires spin on it. There is nothing for your tires to bite into... If you are not very careful, you can find yourself on the side of a hill, in mud, sliding down hill and having zero control on the direction or speed your vehicle slides. Not fun.
"That part of the world" is where I grew up, and you are 110% correct. If it's just wet on the surface, there's no bite to be found. I slid over a hill on the family farm in Owen County a year or so ago during a monsoon, all the way to the bottom with the brakes locked. Finally got turned uphill, and as soon as I'd take my foot off the brake, all 4 would just sit and spin without me touching the gas (automatic).

I'm sure Lockport is that same, or even worse being closer to the river.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #70
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"That part of the world" is where I grew up, and you are 110% correct. If it's just wet on the surface, there's no bite to be found. I slid over a hill on the family farm in Owen County a year or so ago during a monsoon, all the way to the bottom with the brakes locked. Finally got turned uphill, and as soon as I'd take my foot off the brake, all 4 would just sit and spin without me touching the gas (automatic).

I'm sure Lockport is that same, or even worse being closer to the river.
I have wheeled on four totally separate pieces of land in Owen, Henry, and Trimble Counties....... They ALL have this rock hard and slick as greased snot on ice, covered by thick soupy mud layer type of ground in common with each other. A little rain is okay, but if there is a monsoon rain, stay home.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #71
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

SO, I know this is not Horseshoe bend related, but it's a common problem, and there's enough people invested in this thread to flag it.
DTOR in trouble:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dirty...91352600905380

More attempts to shut down parks due to neighbors.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #72
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
SO, I know this is not Horseshoe bend related, but it's a common problem, and there's enough people invested in this thread to flag it.
DTOR in trouble:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dirty...91352600905380

More attempts to shut down parks due to neighbors.

History seems to repeat itself with Joe. Do some research on Hillz & Holarz and the issues that closed them... Going nose to nose with Government didn't work in Henry County and I doubt it works in Trimble County.
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #73
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was hoping you'd show up and supply some input Don. I just recently found out that Joe was the same guy that ran H&H.

Honestly, after the initial anger and call to arms for everyone to sign a petition (which I will still), I started thinking about it, and some of the things the ordinance is asking for are not unreasonable. Keep the state owned roadway clean and enforce your alcohol rules... Heck, they've already jacked their prices up so high, and get so much traffic, they should be able to install a wash station. I've been there before during an event when you had to drive 1/8 mile on the actual road before you started to see pavement. Also, I'm sure the hundreds of Facebook pictures with people posing with their beer cans, in and out of the drivers seat, probably wont do them any favors. So I understand some of the concerns. But it really feels like this was more an effort to shut them down rather than reel them in.

Amidst the name calling and general wall of slander and indignation on their Facebook note, there's a suggestion that the owners of these various off-road parks band together for the common good, and possibly create a legally recognized body to give the "industry" (if you will) some legitimacy. Sort of like the KY Distiller's association. They're all rival distilleries, but they band together for a common good, and it benefits all of them. There's even an opportunity for a system like the Bourbon Trail, where you visit all of them and get some prize.

Anyway, if you like that idea, it was me. If not... idk who that guy is.
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #74
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was hoping you'd show up and supply some input Don. I just recently found out that Joe was the same guy that ran H&H.

Honestly, after the initial anger and call to arms for everyone to sign a petition (which I will still), I started thinking about it, and some of the things the ordinance is asking for are not unreasonable. Keep the state owned roadway clean and enforce your alcohol rules... Heck, they've already jacked their prices up so high, and get so much traffic, they should be able to install a wash station. I've been there before during an event when you had to drive 1/8 mile on the actual road before you started to see pavement. Also, I'm sure the hundreds of Facebook pictures with people posing with their beer cans, in and out of the drivers seat, probably wont do them any favors. So I understand some of the concerns. But it really feels like this was more an effort to shut them down rather than reel them in.

Amidst the name calling and general wall of slander and indignation on their Facebook note, there's a suggestion that the owners of these various off-road parks band together for the common good, and possibly create a legally recognized body to give the "industry" (if you will) some legitimacy. Sort of like the KY Distiller's association. They're all rival distilleries, but they band together for a common good, and it benefits all of them. There's even an opportunity for a system like the Bourbon Trail, where you visit all of them and get some prize.

Anyway, if you like that idea, it was me. If not... idk who that guy is.

I am glad that you appreciate my comments, and my thoughts. There is always more to the story, so reading one person's one sided view of events is not going to get you to the truth. Why is Trimble County targeting DTOR and not the MX Track next door? I thought Joe recently purchased the MX Track land? I seem to recall Joe telling people he owned the land at Hillz & Hollarz, (he didn't)... I also recall him telling people he owned the land DTOR is on, but I haven't bothered to make a trip to Trimble County to look at land records, such as Deeds, Property Valuation, etc.,.

Do a search on way back dot com or something like this for old Hillz & Hollarz Web sites... History does repeat itself..
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #75
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am glad that you appreciate my comments, and my thoughts. There is always more to the story, so reading one person's one sided view of events is not going to get you to the truth. Why is Trimble County targeting DTOR and not the MX Track next door? I thought Joe recently purchased the MX Track land? I seem to recall Joe telling people he owned the land at Hillz & Hollarz, (he didn't)... I also recall him telling people he owned the land DTOR is on, but I haven't bothered to make a trip to Trimble County to look at land records, such as Deeds, Property Valuation, etc.,.

Do a search on way back dot com or something like this for old Hillz & Hollarz Web sites... History does repeat itself..
Well, I've come to realize you've been in this game a lot longer than I have, and seen a lot of this already. Experience certainly has its value.

I've heard some tales of the issues of H&H, and I know better than just believing one side of a story. And of course, the offroad community is easy to get riled up, and a call-to-arms is a quick, easy way to do that. But, at the end of the day, regardless of the underlying issues that may have led to this point, I still don't want the park to close. Even though I haven't been there in over a year, and I'm willing to put my name on a petition if it would help. The actual text of the ordinance seems frustratingly vague in places, but deliberately focused in others. Mentions of noise and light could easily affect other venues and activities. The big one people are pointing out on Facebook are the high school sporting events, along with fair activities, other festivals, etc. Those are the vague ones. Items regarding dust and mud on highways seem to be pretty clearly focused. The trailering requirement is a killer for me, at least for the moment. It's almost like they pulled the rule book from Henry Co. Hmm...

But I understand the concerns. I've been there when you couldn't see pavement for a distance from their entrance. I especially like the part where they require them to enforce their alcohol policy.

The more I think about it, other than the towing aspect, there's not much in this I don't actually agree with. They already abide by these hours. They could solve the dirt problem with a wash station...

I'll buy the slipper-slope argument, but at the moment, it really just looks like an effort to get them to keep the road clean, and their patrons sober.

Eh, screw it, I'll still support the effort on principle, but I hope this could lead to a compromise somewhere down the road.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.