JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Kentucky Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f329/)
-   -   Horseshoe Bend Motorsports? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f329/horseshoe-bend-motorsports-1352981/)

XJNKY 04-05-2012 02:41 PM

Horseshoe Bend Motorsports?

Hey guys, a guy at work just told me that Horseshoe Bend Motorsports in Owenton KY (northernish KY) is opening their park to 4x4's, trucks, side-by-sides, etc. The first day is this weekend.

I had no idea what he was talking about, so I went and looked them up on Facebook, and it's a Motocross track in Gratz, KY (address is Owenton KY but I assure you it is several miles away from Owenton proper, that's just how our addresses work here.)

Anyone ever been there? I don't know too many people who run motocross, but if they're opening the woods up to trucks I'd be interested to see it (especially since it's like 25 minutes from where I live, and 10 minutes from where I grew up/ where I store my offroad-only rig).

Their facebook says something about hill climbs and trails, but they're just starting. So I was wondering if anyone had seen the terrain there. I know the area is fairly hilly, and is close to the KY river. Should be only a few miles from where Hillz-n-Hollarz used to be.

If they're just opening I think it would be cool to go there before the trails get all blown out. Sort of like DTOR was when they first opened, when they were catering to DD's and trail rigs alike, and not everything was about $40K buggies...

XJNKY 04-05-2012 05:23 PM

Alright, so time to answer my own questions.

I talked to the guy who runs it tonight. Very nice guy, very friendly. He said they have a good mix of trails cut, some for my DD, which was my biggest concern, but there's some harder ones too. They have some plans for developing the trail system, maybe adding some obstacles. He said it's about 400 acres. If anyone went to Hillz N Hollarz before they closed, I'm assuming the terrain will be similar, since Gratz and Lockport are so close to each other. Should be a fairly short but curvy drive from Carrolton, I'd say about the same as to DTOR from Carrolton, just other direction.

Admission is likely going to be $10 per head, which, for parks around here, isn't that terrible. (last time I was at 491 it was $15 per person, and DTOR is now $20 per vehicle, $5 per passenger I think). Maybe I should let him confirm that, as they actually haven't opened the doors to trucks yet.

I'm going to go check this place out in a week or two (nothing ready to roll at the moment), and I'll try to give a report back to this thread when I do.

If anyone stumbles across this in the mean time, I'd encourage you to check out their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horse...02141856489509

It's all motocross stuff right now, but at least there's directions/contact info.

XJNKY 05-27-2012 09:15 AM

Update

3 Attachment(s)
Well, we went and checked this place out a couple weeks ago. It's nice, and the price is right. I would recommend anyone local check it out. There wasn't a lot I could do other than just drive along the creek and enjoy the scenery. First, I was in my DD, and second, I've been having a lot of problems from a whiplash-type injury a few years ago, and have come to the conclusion that the fun of wheeling isn't worth the pain afterwards. But, just crawling around in the DD isn't too rough on it.

They have some nice sedate scenic trails, and a lot of hill climbs. It was still a little wet, so we couldn't really conquer any of the hills, but someone with the right setup could probably find some challenges there. (my dd= 31" Duratracs, no locker, and not wanting any body damage). There were a few small mud holes also, but not like any dug out pits.

We did only tour about half the park, but I think we'll go back and see the other half later on.

I'll also mention that other than a few quads running around, when we were there, on a Saturday afternoon, we were the only trucks there. It was pretty empty. I'm sure the park owners would like to see more rigs coming in there, but I sort of liked not having to compete for trails. It was a nice quiet Saturday afternoon ride through some virgin trails. I liked that. and at $10/head, it wasn't nearly as expensive as some of the other parks in our area.

cactus_jack 05-30-2012 03:56 AM

Owenton? I think thats right above Lexington, right? Bout an hour and half drive for me. I'll have to check it out.

XJNKY 05-30-2012 06:23 AM

Owenton is about an hour and a half to 2 hours north of Lexington (just depends on traffic, route, what part of Lexington you start in, etc. I drove from Lexington to Owenton to work for 2 years) If you're coming from the South, you wouldn't actually need to go all the way to Owenton, you can turn off before you get there, and go through to micro-town of Gratz, and save some time doubling back. Plus, the road from Owenton to Gratz directly is narrow and curvy.

Once you get to Frankfort, it's a pretty straight shot north up 127. Then turn left onto 355 right after you pass Monterey (small town, you'll see it from the bridge). Stay on 355, through Gratz. It's a couple miles outside Gratz, and I missed it the first time. There's a large white house on the right, with a wide gravel drive and a big sign.

little_Jeep 07-22-2012 08:56 PM

I went with a small group on Saturday to check this park out... We were given a guided tour by Park Manager, Scott..
we didn't go on any trails, just went around to all the trail heads for a look see.... based upon what we saw,
we are going back on July 28th to run as many trails as possible...

Anyone is welcome join us for a day of trail riding.
However, we ask that you have tow points, a working CB, and be family friendly (no alcohol or foul language).
Just send me a PM so I know you are going to hook up with us.

Park is located at:

9810 Highway 355
Owenton, KY

(502) 693-6059

If you come in from I-71, take exit #44, and bottom of ramp, turn SOUTH onto Highway 227.
Follow Highway 227 to junction of Highway 355 (you can only turn one direction)...
Follow Highway 355 approximately 9 miles to enterance of park...
At moment, only a mailbox with house numbers marks the enternace as recent storms destroyed the sign.

My Garmin says Check In Building is located at:

N38 31.286
W84 58.276

XJNKY 07-23-2012 11:58 AM

little Jeep, I'm glad you liked it. It seemed like a nice enough place to explore when we went. I haven't been back since, but it isn't for lack of desire. From their Facebook it looks like they've been adding obstacles, and getting a bit more traffic.

little_Jeep 07-23-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJNKY (Post 13907599)
little Jeep, I'm glad you liked it. It seemed like a nice enough place to explore when we went. I haven't been back since, but it isn't for lack of desire. From their Facebook it looks like they've been adding obstacles, and getting a bit more traffic.

PR is lacking.... I have been through three OHV park openings, it takes a while for the trails to get beat down some... my group was impressed with what we saw and that we know it will only get better with time. The land is clean and is really beautiful. We haven't got to explore the trails, but we plan on doing so soon and often. :) If you want to hook us with us, just yell... all we ask is that you have tow points, a working CB, and be family friendly.

XJNKY 07-23-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

If you want to hook us with us, just yell... all we ask is that you have tow points, a working CB, and be family friendly.
Would be nice to go with a bigger group, but I'm really in no shape to keep up, and I don't own a CB... and I historically have not had such a good record of watching my wording in polite company. I don't spew constant streams of obscenities, but I've been known to let a few slip from time to time. I think offroading is like carpentry, at some point you're going to hit your thumb, and at that point, "shucks" is not in my vocabulary. (I never have kids with me either). Certainly don't think alcohol and wheeling go together though.

All the same, thanks for the invite, hope you guys have a good time. Post up some pictures after you go. Like you said, they don't have a lot of advertising, but they're nice guys running it, and it's always nice to have more places to explore.

little_Jeep 07-23-2012 05:54 PM

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/ga...7/shoe12-e.jpg

little_Jeep 07-25-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJNKY (Post 13907905)
Would be nice to go with a bigger group, but I'm really in no shape to keep up, and I don't own a CB... and I historically have not had such a good record of watching my wording in polite company. I don't spew constant streams of obscenities, but I've been known to let a few slip from time to time. I think offroading is like carpentry, at some point you're going to hit your thumb, and at that point, "shucks" is not in my vocabulary. (I never have kids with me either). Certainly don't think alcohol and wheeling go together though.

All the same, thanks for the invite, hope you guys have a good time. Post up some pictures after you go. Like you said, they don't have a lot of advertising, but they're nice guys running it, and it's always nice to have more places to explore.

(LOL)... A Hell or something like this isn't going to upset the apple cart. However, one time we were on trail and guy started talking on CB using the F word about three times in conversation before anyone could stop him. :thumbdown: We typically roll with our wives, kids, and some Grandkids, so this wasn't kool. Wheel-n is dangerous enough, no need to add alcohol.

XJNKY 07-25-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

A Hell or something like this isn't going to upset the apple cart.
That's the bulk of what I let slip, but if I get wound up enough, I've been known to let some F bombs fly :ignore:. Sometimes a buddy of mine brings his daughter, so I normally try to reign it in if she's there, so I probably could. All the same, I can't go, but appreciate the invite.

It is nice to see a group still trying to enjoy the landscape and not just party on the trail. I remember the first couple times we went to DTOR it was like that, just people out trying to have a good time, keep it family friendly. Now it seems like every time I go there I see more Budlight cans than tires. I'm sure it'll happen at Horseshoe Bend also. That's just sort of the crowd these places bring in. Most of them are still in their 20's and invincible. They'll learn.

little_Jeep 07-25-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJNKY (Post 13917275)
That's the bulk of what I let slip, but if I get wound up enough, I've been known to let some F bombs fly :ignore:. Sometimes a buddy of mine brings his daughter, so I normally try to reign it in if she's there, so I probably could. All the same, I can't go, but appreciate the invite.

It is nice to see a group still trying to enjoy the landscape and not just party on the trail. I remember the first couple times we went to DTOR it was like that, just people out trying to have a good time, keep it family friendly. Now it seems like every time I go there I see more Budlight cans than tires. I'm sure it'll happen at Horseshoe Bend also. That's just sort of the crowd these places bring in. Most of them are still in their 20's and invincible. They'll learn.

I hope Horseshoe stays nice... Hopefully, all the drunks will go to Haspin Acres..... There are a few places I refuse to go back to, and Haspin is one of them.

XJNKY 07-30-2012 10:43 AM

little_jeep, how was the bend Saturday? Any new pics? I see they've added some crawling obstacles.

little_Jeep 07-30-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJNKY (Post 13942658)
little_jeep, how was the bend Saturday? Any new pics? I see they've added some crawling obstacles.

We had a BLAST!! We started our day by going up Starmount Hollar.... what we didn't know was storms blew tree across trail, so you get so far up, past point of no return, and only way out is to make one nasty right turn, and winch up a long very slick hill... it was so slick, we had to use tow straps to pull the winch cable up a section of it as we could not stand on the hillside. We ended up tying the rear of my Jeep to a tree at the top of the hill, then using my Jeep as a winch conection point for the others. I have 125 foot of cable and we needed every inch of it. 2.5 to 3 hours later, we had all 4 of us winched to the top of this hill. Needless to say, all this winching time really are into our ability to cover as much ground as we would have liked. We will simply keep going back to Horseshoe. The park is clean, the people are second to none, and it was just a very nice day in the woods.

Here is a discussion on another forum that includes a lot of photos.....

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=20354

This photo was taken while we were on Starmount Hollar (before turn).......

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...d/DSC01065.jpg

Here is a photo that kind of gives you an idea of what the land looks like....... BEAUTIFUL.....

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/ga...shoe_003-E.jpg

If you like to crawl over stuff, they have this, plus some large tires, a few culverts, and possibly more as they are still in the building process.

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/ga...shoe_002-E.jpg

The time now is 12:37 PM.