Heading to LBL, what to expect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Kentucky Jeep Forum > Heading to LBL, what to expect?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 07-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
65novalt1ss
2002 WJ 

Heading to LBL, what to expect?

I'm planning on going to Land Between the Lakes in a couple weeks to explore the back roads (map says they are unmaintained). I have a WJ with 2 inch lift, at tires, and open differentials. What can I expect? Are these roads fairly easy? I don't want to stay on gravel roads all day but I don't want to get stranded with the wife and baby, either. I don't plan on going to Turkey Bay, just the roads on the map. Thanks.

65novalt1ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
cutngut
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Get a map from the gaurd shack and stay on the easy trails. Dont be scared to venture out. Good idea to ride with a friend or a group.
cutngut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
65novalt1ss
2002 WJ 

Are the numbered roads rated by difficulty on the map. Im hoping to have a friend go with us but not sure if they get to go or not.
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
cutngut
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe they are color coded and each trail head is coded. You can get around fairly well even with open diffs...unless its been raining of course
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
cutngut
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can pull up alot of info on lbl.org
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
pirateat53
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The backroads are not color coded if that is what you are wanting to do. LBL backroads are numbered. The 100 number roads are paved. 200 usually chip and seal. 300, some are gravel and some are dirt and seldom maintained. 400 roads are never maintained and are dirt. Start at North station of the Trace. There is a info center there with maps. Then head South. About 2 1/2 miles from Hillmans Ferry you will find 305. That ought to be a good start for you. You have to look at the beginning of every road that you see and mounted on a metal post is a 3x4 inch brown plate with the road number on it. If it is wet, 305 will nasty! But it will get you back to where nobody else will be. Have fun but be safe. Mike
06 Rubi Unlimited, 4 inch RC Long Arm, Warn hs9500i with synthetic line, 35 x 12:50's, black steel wheels, 4:88's, RCV axles front, USA Alloy in the rear, GPS, and way to much other stuff....
pirateat53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
cutngut
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I thought we were talking about turkey bay. My bad
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
pirateat53
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=cutngut;15741727]I thought we were talking about turkey bay. My bad[/QUOTE

No problem.
06 Rubi Unlimited, 4 inch RC Long Arm, Warn hs9500i with synthetic line, 35 x 12:50's, black steel wheels, 4:88's, RCV axles front, USA Alloy in the rear, GPS, and way to much other stuff....
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
65novalt1ss
2002 WJ 

Thats what i was looking for. So can you recommend any other backroads that would be good ones to start with?
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
pirateat53
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Are you coming in on I-24? If so you want to get off at the Grand Rivers exit. Hwy 453. Turn left, keep driving, go thru Grand Rivers and then you will be on " The Trace " You'll come upon the info building. Get out, walk around, pick up map. Right across from info is the Canal Loop mountain bike trail. Tough riding on bike. But you should see a road there too with stop sign. Head on that road and explore. It should be road 302. It's fairly mild. If you encounter any holes, please get out and check depth with stick. Also...BUG AND TICK SPRAY! From there continue down Trace to road 112. Then 304 will be on down on the left. When you hit road 108 turn left and look for 303 on the right. It will take you to the lake. Be careful, have fun, let someone know where you are going. That should get you a good run for a while. Mike
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
65novalt1ss
2002 WJ 

Thanks a lot for the info. Im somewhat familiar with the area because i worked in benton at camp currie for six years in the summer. I have just never explored these roads. And we may be coming from i24 because my wife wants to go back to Patties. Thanks again.
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
pirateat53
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65novalt1ss View Post
Thanks a lot for the info. Im somewhat familiar with the area because i worked in benton at camp currie for six years in the summer. I have just never explored these roads. And we may be coming from i24 because my wife wants to go back to Patties. Thanks again.
Ah yes, I remember Camp Currie. Also Hester's Resort was my family. Have a large time. Mike.
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
65novalt1ss
2002 WJ 

I'm not familiar with hesters. Where is that?
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
pirateat53
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65novalt1ss View Post
I'm not familiar with hesters. Where is that?
Down the same road as Camp Currie. Hwy 962 in Fairdealing. Next to the old Will Vera Resort that is now Southern Comfort.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Corbie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I hit a bunch of those roads doing the same thing you plan on doing. I was in a 2wd Cherokee I didn't have to much issues, I think there was only one road I got part way down and decided it was to risky getting stuck. I didn't have anyone with me and AT&T cell service is sketchy out there. I just played it safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.