Townsend trails & fishing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > Townsend trails & fishing

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
408Chevelle

Townsend trails & fishing

Hey y'all, I'm coming up from Ga in a few weeks to do some exploring and fly fishing and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm wanting to find some secluded trails (nothing too crazy) with shallow water crossings and mountain views in the Townsend area. Also looking for non-crowded trout streams. I'm guessing I'll need to go into the National Park to find this. Any suggestions?

408Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
408Chevelle

Come on people. The Smokey Mountains National Park is 522,419 acres. Surely ya'll know of some fun places in there!
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
mule75
2012 JK Wrangler 

there is no real off road trails in the park. You can take a "primitive road" out of the Cades Cove loop, Parsons Branch, that is basically gravel unkept road. but nothing even remotely 4wd needed. That being said it is pretty nice, good scenery.

Can't help you on the fishing part.

Hope you enjoy your trip to this beautiful part of the country.
mule75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
408Chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule75 View Post
there is no real off road trails in the park. You can take a "primitive road" out of the Cades Cove loop, Parsons Branch, that is basically gravel unkept road. but nothing even remotely 4wd needed. That being said it is pretty nice, good scenery.
Thanks. I've been reading about Parsons Branch. Do you know if it's a one way road? I would like to start on 129 and go north if possible.

There are a few videos of it on Youtube.

Unread 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
mule75
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, but Parsons Branch is 1 way, and not going the way you want to go. it is pretty cool, you start in the valley and cross at least a couple ridge line before you come out in the middle of the Dragon.

Also check with the Rangers to make sure that it is open all the way. We went through there last year, bout this time, and there was a bunch of dead (still standing) trees. All you need is one big storm with wind and that road will be closed for a bit of time. I do remember something on the news about it being closed a couple months ago, so might wanna check to see if it reopend.

Have fun
mule75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can always swing up to Windrock in Oliver Springs. Some good trail riding up there. Not sure where you can fish but you can do a lot of good hiking in the Smokys.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.